Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2007, 04:13 PM   #61
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
By coincidence, I just read the exact quotation that Brad cites above. There is also a clear diagram of the flush system in my 'owners packet.' I use the system without any problems. In my Montana there is only a very 'modest' back flow on disconnect, exactly as described in the manual. Perhaps this just illustrates that one man's experience may be another man's problem.

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:50 AM   #62
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Spoke to Matt in customer service this AM, very nice and knowledgeable guy, on the sewer smell issue.. Keystone calls that part(the valve) a check valve and the part number is...100829. We will order a new one through our dealer. The issue of water shooting out of the black tank flush may be a problem that occures only with the new docking station and perhaps only with the 3400..dependes on where the check valve is in your particular model Montana. OZZ I think Keystone would be interested in your fix...I am installing it today.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:48 AM   #63
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, I think it was a perfect place for the vacuum breaker, and if it needs replaced, you can actually get to it.....
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:18 AM   #64
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
I purchased a gray hose to use strictly for the black tank flush. I didn't have any problems with using that feature during my trip. I used the black tank flush hookup three times I believe. I feel really nervous about having lines running from the black and the city hookup together at any point...LOL I'm sure there probably are tons of safety features so the two won't "bleed" together, but I just don't trust it. I never drink CG water anyway, but I bathe in it, thats enough for me...LOL Ummm...what is the bib?

Another thing I'm a little confused about is some saying they use the black tank flush feature, and worry about the tank filling up too much. When I did the walk thru, the guy told me to NEVER use the flush feature without the black tank valve being open. He said people that have done that end up with ummm...bodily fluids shooting through the roof vents...LOL He said the pressure builds up in there if the valve isn't open. Is this wrong?

Jan
On edit...please forgive me, I don't mean to hijack this thread!!!
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:37 AM   #65
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
It is safe using the flush with the valve open, some of us close the valve and have it spraying into the tank, but I wouldn't leave the area with the flush running and the valve closed to the black tank.
I put a vacuum breaker at the connection to the tank, this is redundant, but makes me feel better.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:38 AM   #66
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The reason they tell you never to do that is because folks will forget what they are doing and have a nasty accident..It is good advise..you need to be alert. I do close the valve and let the tank fill as the water pressure when released will flush out a lot of stuff but I am standing right there and am paying attention.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:25 AM   #67
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
I have been concerned that leaving the valve closed at the same time I am flushing could cause enough pressure in the tank to cause it to rupture. Is that not a valid concern? How long do you let it fill before opening the valve??? I guess one could put something in the stool valve to keep it open during flushing but that is a pain.????
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:10 AM   #68
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Hummm..never thought about that..I wonder if that could happen??? We let it fill maybe 2/3 full r .. that might be 3 or 4 mins of filling after awhile you will get a feel for it.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:14 AM   #69
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Sometimes this lifestyle is best in a partnership mode, when doing things like back flushing. Sue stomps on the flush valve, running water, I open the fill valve to the Black tank, she can tell when it is near the top, she stops, gives me the Ozark holler and I pull the valve............
Actually, you don't have to fill it all the way to get a good flush.
Empty the Black tank sometime, fill it with the back flush pressure with someone in the bathroom, you can time it and know then.
To back flush and fill, will not pressurize the tank to a danger point, the tank vent will not allow that.
I use a clear 90 ell, that way you can tell the condition of the tank.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:56 AM   #70
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Ozz- I'm sorry, don't understand the part about the 90 degree ell??? As far as the tank vent goes, mine was bad. When I back flushed it leaked badly. On my 2955 it is located behind the shower wall. Very hard to get to but I removed it and closed off the loop-eliminated it!!! Maybe that was a bad idea?? Haven't really noticed a problem since I removed it, but guess I should replace it since Keystone did send me a new one.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:53 PM   #71
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hi Bruce,
The 90 degree ell twist's on where your flex drain hose goes. The clear ell, then the drain hose. What do you mean by a tank vent? The vacuum breaker?
If you removed that, do not use the tank flush system, you could siphon 'Bad stuff' and contaminate your clean water supply.
I would install a second one like mine, in my picture. Along with the factory one.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:22 PM   #72
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That sewer smell has got the best of us...Can't stand it.Can't use the fantastic fan at all unless the windows are open and if they are open who needs the fantastic fan. I used my trusted Gorilla tape and sealed that so called one way check valve shut.. Will that affect anything??? I have been all over this camper.. Can't smell anything outside..Stupid ole me probed the underbelly in the area of the black tank checking for maybe a leak... then realized what would happen if It had been collecting in the underbelly//// Did find a small leak in the large black pipe right under the toliet..plumbers putty for a temp fix and item # 10 on the service center fix list. It is now up to 20.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:30 AM   #73
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
In a conversation with Matt from Team Montana we agreed that the check valve in the island area was defective and causing the foul smell. I tapped it off and his thought is that it will not effect any other operation of the system. At least we can use the fantastic fan and not have the camper smell like a waste treatment plant. We will have the service center check out th entire system in April.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:57 PM   #74
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rich,
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't you put a Cyclone Sewer Vent on top of your black tank vent?? Do you think that this could be causing your problem??
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:20 AM   #75
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We thought of that Sky and we sent Helen up there to look it over and it is operating normal... When we think about that Cyclone vent we wonder why we got it. The OEM vent, That we still have, is vented 360 degrees..Not sure what the advantage of the Cyclone vent is..I think we got taken in by the PR???
Old 03-07-2007, 09:07 AM   #76
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rich,
Since tapping off the check valve, has the odor gone away??
Old 03-07-2007, 09:29 AM   #77
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The oder IS greatly diminished with with the check valve taped off.There is still something not right. Oh well the service center guys will find the problem, meanwhile is is not an abandon the camper problem..
Old 03-07-2007, 11:47 AM   #78
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rich,
Glad to hear the problem is not as strong as before. I am sure the great folks in Goshen will be able to locate the source of the problem.... Best of luck!
Old 03-13-2007, 07:10 PM   #79
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Well, the sewer smell showed up in spades today on our late 2006 3400RL. First time. Dumped the black tank today and the smell in the kitchen and living area was instantly overwhelming. Will check valve behind cover in kitchen tomorrow and see if there is anything obvious & fixable.

Our "need to fix" list gets longer and longer. Have appointment with Montana dealer in Bend, Oregon the first week of April to get warranty repairs taken care of. They will be busy for quite some time.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:05 PM   #80
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Dean,
Have them pull the black panel underneath and check for a leak from the black tank, and get it well documented.
Still waiting for my black tank to get to AZ.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote