Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2024, 04:37 PM   #1
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Anyone use Poli Glow

Have any of you used the Poly Glow products to restore shine to your fiberglass sides?

Old 08-21-2024, 05:59 PM   #2
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
I used it years ago on my old Sea Breeze. It looks great for 6 months, and then it starts to break down. You then need to scrub it off and re-apply. Perhaps would work better if you applied another coat before it starts breaking down.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2024, 07:58 AM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I used it on our 1996 Alpenlite 29RK in 2011 (camper was 15 yrs old and had lost its luster). Looked great for a few months but it does yellow with time.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2024, 10:34 AM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I haven't used it but read about the yellowing on a different forum.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2024, 11:41 PM   #5
bsdf200
Established Member

M.O.C. #33034
I used it on my boat about 10 years ago. It looked great when I put it on, I put the cover on for the winter, and in the spring when I took it off it was a mess it looked like the fiberglass was cracked but it was just the ploy glow had to order special stuff from ploy glow to take it off never again.
bsdf200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2024, 01:53 PM   #6
Rod Spohn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24052
I had my rig done last October by a professional contractor who used this on it. It looked great and now after 9 months it still looks good but I can see it will need to be redone. The downside for me is that it cracked on the graphics and that looks bad. They said they would come fix the problem but never did. I am going to try doing a section myself this fall and see how it goes.
Rod Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2024, 01:59 PM   #7
Donjamin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22148
I used it on my 2016 3160 RL. I applied it last November and now, 9 months later it is chalky. I had to scrub it off. I find it interesting that they guarantee their product for 6 months. That is about how long it lasts. I will not be using again.

Don
2023Ford F-350 SD 4X4
Donjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2024, 03:49 PM   #8
kescue
Established Member

M.O.C. #20145
Yes, I have used Poli Glow for a number of years on my 2018 Montana. I live in Florida and my rig is parked un-covered at an RV park so the Florida sun hammers the finish. As everyone else has stated you have to re-apply it every year. It is a process and I do this process every November when it is cooler.

I will warn that this is pretty much a 2 day process and this is a VERY LABOR INTENSIVE job! If you do not spend the time to do this correctly you will not like the end result. I strip the poly off on the first day and then apply it back on the second day. To apply the Poli correctly you have to apply multiple coats. (5 to 6 coats) My rig (381TH) is 41 feet so with the back door this is over 90 feet of RV to cover. (Note: I do not use Poli Glow on the front cab of my rig. I always wax the front cab)
I also have not had any issue with using Poli Glow over my graphics.

First, you have to remove the old Poli Glow. Do not buy Poli Glow's removal stuff (Poli Strip) it does not work very well. You have to buy a ton of it and that gets expensive. I tried it once and it was a waste.

(Note: if this is the first time you have used Poli Glow make sure you remove any oxidation on your rig. I has oxidation on the back of my rig, so I used an automotive product to remove the oxidation first. Poli Glow sells a “Poli Prep” that I used the first time I prepped the rig but I have not used it since)

Go to Home Depot and get Zep Floor Stripper. This comes in a gallon bottle so you get a bang for your buck since you mix it at 50% with water. This is much cheaper and does a great job at removing the Poli Glow. Also get a squeeze bottle, non scratch scouring pad and use rubber gloves.

Poli Glow removal:
Do this in the shade if you can.
Mix the Zep Floor Stripper with water at 50% in the spray bottle.
Spray a section of the RV and wait a minute.
Using the non scratch scouring pad, rub that section to remove the poli.
Then wash off the residue.
(Do not let the Zep dry on the rig)

Once complete you can go back and look at what has been done and if you see any small spots you missed you can spray, rub, rinse to remove. You should have a dull finish when you complete the removal. (Pretty much what my rig looked like before I put on the Poli Glow.)

One word of warning. The Zep Floor Stripper will eat the information off of any labels on the rig. The label on the front of the rig that tells you your rig weight, tire size, etc. will disappear. So if you do not want to have this information removed you need to cover this somehow. I did not care since I have this information in my RV folder in the truck.

Poli Glow application:
Do what their web site says on application! If you do not apply it correctly you will not like the final product..... You have to put this on SLOWLY and wipe the Poli in the same direction every time.

You should get the white mitt with the Poli Glow that they sell.
Rinse the mitt off with water and then roll it in a towel to semi dry it.
During the application of Poli every so often you should completely rinse the mitt off and the towel dry it.

Pour some Poly on the Mitt, open and close the mitt a few times to spread the Poli and then SLOWLY wipe the poly on the rig. Do this in sections on the rig.

ALWAYS wipe in the same direction and not in a circular motion. I always wipe from top to bottom straight down and then slowly end the application with your hand coming off at an angle. If you do not you can leave bubbles. If you get some bubbles simply go over it immediately.

WARNING: The first coat will look like crap!!! But don't worry, you have to put multiple coats on the rig. I usually do a section at a time and do about 5 to 6 coats. (told you this was labor intensive!) By the time you finish wiping a section you can immediately start applying the Poli Glow again as it dries pretty fast.

Hope this helps anyone else that decides to use Poli Glow.

I am going to try to attach a pic of my rig after the poly was applied.

Side story:
I found out about Poli Glow in Destin Florida when I stayed at Camping on the Gulf. There is a company that washes and waxes RV in that area. They also use this product on rigs. They tell you it is not Poli Glow but something they get from another place that is specially made. LOL they put it in a different spray bottle to hide the product. But one of the workers told the guy whose RV they were working on it was Poli Glow.

First year I applied the Poli Glow. Then one year I decided to let them do it. Well like I said you have to do this application wiping in the same direction and slowly. They applied it up and down, side to side and all which ways. Once it dried and the sun it it you could see every wipe mark. Looked like crap. So if you want to do something you sometimes have to do it yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1485.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	311.5 KB
ID:	18084  

Keith and Jana Escue
2018 Montana 381TH
2016 Ford F350 King Ranch
kescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2024, 04:18 PM   #9
John and Barbara
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23309
Poly Glow is recommended in the Montana user manual. I used on a 2007 Grand Junction and it held up well for several years. We traded on our 2019 3121RL and it still looked great.