Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2023, 03:41 PM   #1
shoe
Established Member

M.O.C. #30477
Redecorate

Why? Well it's awful dark inside and because I'm 'stupid'!

We have a 2010 3150RL which we purchased used [2nd owner, first owner was a elderly couple who couldn't travel anymore - now wife and I are the traveling elderly couple - when did that happen?] just to try RV vacationing. Wife has insomnia and having our own mattress really helps. We swapped out the RV mattress for a real one.

Turns out even though we new nothing, God was watching over us. This is the prefect trailer, and we didn't know Montana's were so highly rated.

I plan to put hydraulic disk brakes. A bit of maintenance and quite frankly we decided this one is perfect for us except... Why are all the older RVs so dark inside?

Plans:
1) Replace major carpet area with light vinyl planking.
2) Some lighter drapes
3) Replace all lights inside with LED [done] helped.

Has anyone ever removed the cabinets? I was thinking, if I could get them out the door, paint them a lighter color. The wife just look at me [justifiably] like I'm nuts. [Something about if I needed things to do she could find some...]

shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 08:45 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The cabinets are simply screwed to the walls. But I believe they are inside before the walls are attached so getting some of them out the door may be iffy. A number of members have painted their cabinets (and walls) in place.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 07:14 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
You will not be able to remove the cabinets without destroying something. As stated above, it's because of the way these trailers are assembled. The insides are assembled first and then the outer walls.

If you are going to repaint, it can all be done inside the camper. You really do not need to remove anything, except the dishes and the towels!

As far as original interior design and color, it seems the RV manufacturers run in cycles, attempting to keep in style with the latest housing market trends. So, when dark colors were popular in the housing market, about a year later, that's all that appeared in new RV's being manufactured. Now, the colors are a grey/white/brighter, attempting to create an "open" concept feeling because that's the trend that's been going on in the housing market for about the last 10 years now. Just watch, things will flip again. Actually, I think the "open concept" is fading now.

Unlike a house where a new owner can simply repaint, rip out cabinets, and put down a different style of floor completely, in an RV that is NOT so easy without actually rebuilding the entire camper. It's just much more easy to sell the camper and buy a new one with the latest fashion trends.

That's why the previous generation of campers all have dark colors.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 08:54 AM   #4
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
I've seen a handful posts about redecorating, and they looked nice. Do a deep search to find them. I would not try to undo any cabinets.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote