Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2023, 07:36 PM   #1
DABOO77
Established Member

M.O.C. #32858
Carpet or no carpet / 12 volt fridge

We currently have a 2011 Montana fifth wheel. It's been a great unit with zero problems from day one, other than replacing tires with 12 plys. So we are looking to upgrade a lil more space and newer.
1st question. Does anyone know what was the last year Montana put carpet in the bedroom and living room ? The new carpet less idea isn't for us and I hate the idea of putting down rugs every time we set up.
2nd question. If you have a newer unit with the 12 volt DC fridge. What are your impressions of it's ability to keep up while traveling. I've already concluded that the residential fridge will not suite our style of travel/ camping.

Thank you in advance for your input

Daboo

DABOO77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 04:16 AM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I looked thru some online sales brochures. Based on the two screen shots below - it looks like carpet in the living room changed with the 2014 models. I believe the 2020 models came out with a “vinyl mat” for the flooring on the slides in lieu of carpet (vinyl mat is probably not the correct term). I am not sure when they stopped using carpet in the bedroom, but I think it was within the last 3-4 year models.

I have a residential fridge so I can’t help you there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1608.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	15039   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1607.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	15040  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 06:35 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Our 2019 Montana did not have carpet, except in the slides.

Just a note, some folk like carpet, some don't.

Every travel trailer we had before we got our Montana had carpet. We thought that was the only way to go. Every home we lived in had carpet. But carpet was always a pain, especially since we had pets and they make "potty" on carpet. That was always a problem and frustrating cleaning up carpet, pet stains, dirt, and keeping vacuum sweepers that actually work!

Eventually, every stitch of carpet was removed from the house we live in now. It took 10 years to get rid of it all and replaced with stone, laminate, and tile in different rooms. The difference is day and night. It's unbelievable how much dirt gets swept up with a broom, almost every day that would have been trapped in carpet fibers. No vacuum can remove the dirt, dust, and bugs that collect in the fibers and in the pad and backing weave.

Every carpet we removed was horrendous when we pulled it out. The back side was unbelievable. The carpet backing on all of them flaked and left enough residue on the floor below it, it looked like a sand storm. Now, a simple sweep of the floor and EVERYTHING is gone, It's unbelievable how nasty and filthy a carpet is, even when you steam clean them and do your best to keep them clean. They just trap dirt.

In our Montana, the dogs seemed to go to the kitchen slide and potty. Yep, that little bit of carpet drove us nuts. We tried overing it with plastic runners, mats, other rugs, and their urine would run under those things and STILL get in the carpet. Not to mention bugs, dirt, and everything else.

Finally, enough was enough. I ripped out the carpet and replaced it with a laminate floor. It does not match the rest of the trailer, but.... dogs don't pee there any more, dirt sweeps up easy, and things are much, much more clean now.

We have to sweep the floors almost every day when we are using the camper. (with a broom and a small vacuum cleaner we have). It's unbelievable how much dirt, grit, sand, pet hair, and dead bugs get swept up every day. I make comments to my wife all the time, showing her the dust pan and state, "can you just imagine all of this stuff in a carpet?" I think she is tired of hearing me say that. I'm still overwhelmed at how much gets swept up every single day! Imagine all of that trapped in a carpet .... in a camper ... where dirt gets drug in on your feet all the time, not to mention bugs and the stuff a dog drags in on it's paws.

Getting rid of the carpets was the best thing we could have done, for the house and the camper.

As far as the floor? At first I thought I'd miss the carpet in the Montana. We threw rugs down, runners, and everything thing else. Soon, that became a pain in the neck shaking them out all the time. That's when we realized how much rugs and carpets trap dirt. Shake out a run or a runner and see all dust fly out of it. Shake it, beat it, pulverize it, and the dust still come out. Now imagine a carpet on floor. Does a vacuum sweeper REALLY pull all the dust out? No!

We finally got rid of the runners and rugs. We use a rubber mat at the door now, and that's all.

Life is much simpler without carpet. Floor cold? keep socks on your feet. And even then, you'll be shocked at how dirty they get just walking around on the bare floor. Yep, all that stuff use to be trapped in the carpets!

This is what we pulled out of the slide out, after almost 5 years:

This is what we replaced it with:

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 09:53 AM   #4
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by DABOO77 View Post
We currently have a 2011 Montana fifth wheel. It's been a great unit with zero problems from day one, other than replacing tires with 12 plys. So we are looking to upgrade a lil more space and newer.
1st question. Does anyone know what was the last year Montana put carpet in the bedroom and living room ? The new carpet less idea isn't for us and I hate the idea of putting down rugs every time we set up.
2nd question. If you have a newer unit with the 12 volt DC fridge. What are your impressions of it's ability to keep up while traveling. I've already concluded that the residential fridge will not suite our style of travel/ camping.

Thank you in advance for your input

Daboo
They newer rigs like mine are lino flooring. We have a few runners that we put down. I've had carpet and it just doesn't hold up. As far as the fridge, we opted for the Dometic 13cf 4 door absorption. So far it's worked great. Keeps ice frozen even in 100 deg heat.