Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2023, 02:36 PM   #21
ACKLM8
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25709
I believe the short answer to the question you actually asked is that you don't know which tank the valve is drawing from if both are open. As noted by another post, you can "force" tank selection by closing one of the tank valves. It will then draw from the open (pressurized) tank. The position of the lever is irrelevant to tank source (this should be intuitive because if it wasn't then the valve would not be "automatic"). It only controls which source the gauge is measuring pressure.

ACKLM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 04:01 PM   #22
ReneT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17288
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenOC View Post
Better than wakening up in the middle of the night (say 2:00 AM) with 2 empty tanks and 30 degrees out side and the nearest propane dealership opens at 9:00 is 30 miles away. Don't ask me how I know!!!!
If you set your mind to check the flag EVERY day, then you will never have a problem of running out during the night.
ReneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 04:03 PM   #23
ReneT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17288
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
Daryles - I looked at the propane switchover manual and it is in French! What am I doing wrong?
You need to take a French course
ReneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 08:49 PM   #24
Milijose@embarqmail.com
Established Member

M.O.C. #25226
I just carry one extra 30pounds tank. My permanent place in TX I have big tank so I don’t use my 30 pounders but if I need them I can use them. Not complicated at all
Milijose@embarqmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 09:47 PM   #25
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
This is ridiculous........ The Mopek`s propane monitor clearly shows how much propane you have in any tank you put them on. You can check them with your cell phone. I put one on the secondary tank and watch for 1/2 or less in the secondary tank then go get them filled. It`s just to easy and accurate. So if you run out the wife should feed you canned food or Swanson's TV dinners for a week, and not the Salisbury Steak dinner ( everyone's favorite).
I have the Mopek's on all my propane tanks in the rv. The two 40 lb tanks and the 20 lb tank for my Blackstone. I also have one on the 20 lb tank for my BBQ at home. They are not cheap, $59.00 on amazon, but they work great. I just check the level from my phone...
Old 12-05-2023, 01:56 PM   #26
LERD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27487
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is setting the valve towards the middle. This actually reduces your propane pressure in half. In colder weather, your available pressure is already compromised. Not to mention you will drain both tanks and you won't catch on, until you're completely out. That's why these valves change over all by themselves. Turn both valves on, set the dial to one side, and check your dial often.
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 03:48 AM   #27
catch up with the zzzz
Established Member

M.O.C. #23268
propane auto switch

in my 2019 3791RD the lever doesn't acutually move unless I move it, but the tank will switch. I only leave one tank on. when that runs out open the other tank vaulve. and refill the first tank when possible. in really cold temps this method does often mean going out at 3.00am to switch but just opening the vaulve takes a few secs. I find it best to stay where its warm.
catch up with the zzzz is offline   Reply With Quote