Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2023, 12:40 PM   #1
campgirl

M.O.C. #33608
Question shower drain plugged

Help....new here...new owner of a 2013 Keystone Montana 3000RK...after only a week in my fifth wheel , the shower drain is plugged...previously cleaned out the kitchen drain trap (full of gunk), and now have cleaned out back sink trap (clean) , but the shower drain is plugged....can't get it to drain....can I access the trap somewhere or what?????
It did drain for maybe 3 showers in the week I have been in it.....but now plugged!!!!

campgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 12:59 PM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
More than likely you have a Hepvo drain valve for your shower drain (Click here.) These are not your home style P-traps. There is a rubber sleave inside that water passes through. It opens up and then shuts tight again once the water passes.

Two things could be going on with it. First, it was installed backwards. Second, the rubber sleave inside could have flipped backwards and reversed.

If you used a plunger on the drain, this is highly possible.

My first suggestion would be to use a plunger (if you have not already). Put some water in the bottom, put the plunger over the drain hole and push down (only once). Now slide the plunger off the hole while the plunger is still compressed. Don't pull upward on it. This will just keep the rubber sleave inside still flipped in reverse. You will only need to do this once. Absolutely do not pull upwards on the plunger. Slide it off. Thus, the reason for the water, it helps it to slide easier than on a dry bottom.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 02:16 PM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Take down your basement wall under the shower. Find and remove the HEPVO valve and clean it.

https://hepvo.com/installation-maintenance/
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 02:43 PM   #4
Butch & Kathy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18980
This may sound dumb but is your grey tank full?
Butch & Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 04:58 AM   #5
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Be very careful cleaning the Hepvo valve. The membrane is quite fragile so any snake or brush you push through there could easily tear it. Some have had luck with just simply stomping on the shower drain with water to force air through it, or flushing with a leaf blower.
If there is water backed up into the shower, removing the Hepvo valve would allow the water to drain into your basement, so bring a bucket with you if you remove the valve for cleaning.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 07:55 AM   #6
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Ya what he said. Don't use a plunger. Using your foot to force water through works for mine.
Old 12-13-2023, 01:38 PM   #7
Razahoryin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18958
I have a 2007 3000RK
Yours will be slightly different by year
On the 2007 shower on passenger side..
there is a traditional trap
Below the shower pan in the basement
That then runs forward catches the vanity drain
Its along the top of compartment near the heater duct.
Then turns down to the tank at the forward side of the compartment.
There is a vertical pipe above the vanity that is the roof.vent
Razahoryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 05:46 PM   #8
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Quote:
Originally Posted by campgirl View Post
Help....new here...new owner of a 2013 Keystone Montana 3000RK...after only a week in my fifth wheel , the shower drain is plugged...previously cleaned out the kitchen drain trap (full of gunk), and now have cleaned out back sink trap (clean) , but the shower drain is plugged....can't get it to drain....can I access the trap somewhere or what?????
It did drain for maybe 3 showers in the week I have been in it.....but now plugged!!!!
I put a cup of Dawn dish soap into the drain then used a leaf blower to force it into the drain. The leaf blower’s mouth was just wide enough to cover the drain entirely. I followed up with hot water and another blast with the leaf blower. haven’t had any problems since. Easy peasy.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 06:31 PM   #9
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
I put a cup of Dawn dish soap into the drain then used a leaf blower to force it into the drain. The leaf blower’s mouth was just wide enough to cover the drain entirely. I followed up with hot water and another blast with the leaf blower. haven’t had any problems since. Easy peasy.
That's a great idea! Why didn't O thing of that?