Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2024, 09:31 PM   #1
50sboy
Established Member

M.O.C. #13103
Wheel Bearing Service (yes...I know what you're thinking...)

OK...read all the comments - and there are many...but I'm a Car Guy - a hot rod and race car builder - a mechanic. Except for purpose built cars, I have owned and operated, as I'm sure most of you have, 15-20 cars and light trucks over the years. Here's the question: How many vehicles have you ever greased or replaced the front wheel bearings on? How many failures? Me? None! So - with a trailer that has the same diameter tires as the tow vehicle - has been towed for 30,000 miles and shows no signs of leaky seals or heat during a trip....why is it so necessary to pull it apart to grease the wheel bearings?
Thanks, Bud

50sboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2024, 09:53 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Bud,

You are not the first to make this comment.

I always say the most important thing to do annually is to check your brakes. Once you pull the drums to check brakes it's not a lot more to pack the bearings. If you have disc brakes, you can probably stretch to 2 years although the manufacturer recommends annual.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2024, 09:57 PM   #3
glkids2
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14213
For the average person the rig may sit for months at a time. Possibly allowing corrosion to set in.Also being a trailer they are subjected to a lot of torque situations from turning. Both going forward and backing up
glkids2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 04:30 AM   #4
Rotnjonny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32150
Same came be said with torque of lug nuts. But isn’t interesting that everyone time I retorque lug nuts, there is always at least one on each wheel that is not at spec.

As mentioned previously, I suspect it is because of the lateral forces. The trailer, the tire and wheel are being loaded from side to side creating forces on axles, bearings and hubs that don’t exist in front wheels.

Additionally, most modern automotive front hubs and bearings are sealed and can no longer be repacked. However I can tell you, anytime I do brakes on any of the kids or their friends old beaters that have two piece bearing and seals sets, I always repack them
Rotnjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 07:16 AM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I think one of the reasons for such a recommendation is so people will get the bearings done on a regular basis rather than ignoring it, which is tempting to do unless something is pushed in our faces constantly.

Why? Because ignoring something like this could result in a failure on the road. And having a trailer failure on the road is a horrible experience for anyone. So, getting the bearings done regularly eliminates (or reduces the possibility) of a potential failure at the worst possible time ... along the side of an interstate!

Either that, or it's a government conspiracy plot to scare everyone to get their bearings in order!!!!!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 09:12 AM   #6
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
Ditto on following through with inspection, side loads on bearings, and some trailers just sitting.

Couple more thoughts. To keep it simple, a 3800 lb car, has 950lbs on each wheel. Right now, our trailer is loaded such that the tandem axels are probably carrying 14,800 lbs. That’s 3700 lbs on each wheel bouncing down the road.

IMO, there’s ample reasons to follow the recommended maintenance to inspect and repack. It’s a safety related item. Maybe a slight adjustment in the interval to fit your circumstances for miles, road, extended storage or not, disc or drum, etc.
LeftOverParts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 02:11 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I had a wheel bearing failure on a 1958 Pontiac in 1964. My only wheel bearing failure.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 09:02 PM   #8
50sboy
Established Member

M.O.C. #13103
Thanks All

Well - its true. You tend to talk yourself out of the work by rationalizing...but I guess you're all right...time to get greasy! Thanks.
50sboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2024, 01:34 PM   #9
Jetson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #180
I usually hear the car/truck bearings growl when they are going bad. Not going to happen with a trailer. Checking hub temp might work, might not.
Old 09-11-2024, 06:49 PM   #10
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
It’s necessary because not only do you need to look at the races and bearings and replace the rear seal.. you also end to look at the brake shoes, magnet assy and wire clips as well as brake hold down springs and adjuster

Service manual recommends annualy or 12K miles and that what I have gone by for many years.

I also raced cars back in my day.

Entirely different from an RV trailer …. YMMV
Mtn Home, Idaho
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2024, 06:00 PM   #11
Butchl
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29769
You'll think differently after you've worked on them on the side of the road after a bearing failure!
Butchl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2024, 12:10 PM   #12
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
We have a 2015. Been across country two times
Times. Many many other trips. I have not looked at the bearings yet. This year I will check the brakes and bearings while I'm there. Boat trailers I check every year. I also drive a mile or so and get out to check the hubs to see if they are hot. I have done 2 wheel bearings on cars. One was a 55 chevy and the other a 56 chevy. I usually don't do bearings on an rv until I check the brakes. While I'm there I just clean and grease them..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2024, 04:49 PM   #13
Jdunnagan68

M.O.C. #33501
It's not necessary to do them as much as people think. An annual brake and bearing check is all that is needed. If they check out there is no actual need to repack. The bearing grease will last for years.
Jdunnagan68 is offline   Reply With Quote