Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2022, 09:02 PM   #1
Gunner9041

M.O.C. #30572
2022 3791RD Purchase

We just purchased a 2022 Montana 3791RD camper and had it transported to us. It arrived in bad shape! Punch list of 20 ish items with largest 2 issues being both living room slides are inoperable!!! I didn’t want to take delivery but hubby thought it could all be fixed. 3 weeks later only just got unit it Camping World. We are now in a 3-4 week que before it even gets inside a bay for diagnosis. Initial diagnosis by mobile service is that one slide is due to bad motor and the other slide is due to schwyntech (sp) slides mechanism that has to be rebuilt. Anyone else have these type of issues with brand new unit? I’m heart broken!!!

Gunner9041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 10:31 PM   #2
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Really hated to hear of the troubles with your new camper. Can only imagine your anguish. Though I had to do two different alignments to our kitchen slide, we've been very fortunate otherwise. Wish you the best of luck with your repairs.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 04:26 AM   #3
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I have a 2019 3791RD and just replaced a slide motor on our door side rear slide (living room). The motor itself was fine, but the wiring had been twisted so much that it had pulled from the circuit board on the motor. Apparently the motor wasn't properly seated on the "H Column" which allowed the motor to turn without running the slide in or out. It started as an intermittent problem, then the slide just quit. It was an easy fix once I found what the problem was. I still have the old motor and will try to re-solder the wiring harness onto the circuit board so I can keep it as a spare.
Schwintek slide system is really very simple, so I can't imagine why yours would need to be "rebuilt". If the "H Column" wasn't installed properly, it may need to be removed and replaced, but that would be a factory installation issue.
Take a look at "MY RV Works" on You Tube. He has some great videos about how Schwintek slides work and how to fix most issues with them. He's a mobile tech in the north east. Really informative channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoK...ZLCD3flLXZVQvw
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 06:39 AM   #4
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
Once again it seems it's all about the dealers. How they can sell these things without going over them first is beyond me.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 07:17 AM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Sorry to hear of this. Hind sight is 20-20, but the RV industry is really different. The three biggest rules of buying an RV are choose your dealer first. They will determine if you enjoy your RV or not. Second, do a thorough PDI (pre-delivery inspection) of every system, switch and appliance in your coach. And last, don’t sign or take delivery until every item is fixed. Now that you are in this situation, you have a couple of choices. First, every state has some sort of buyers remorse clause. It’s usually very short, but can you return it? Another option is to try to get CW to do the right thing. Last, you can see if Keystone will authorize a mobile tech to fix at your home. Best of luck and keep us posted. Be sure to sign up for rally. You sound like you need the knowledge you would receive there.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 07:39 AM   #6
NWCampers
Established Member

M.O.C. #29366
How disappointing! It’s common to discover a list of things that need repaired after the first trip since things are shaken up in transit and first being used. However, to have the slides not functioning seems the dealer failed to do their final check and walk through. They should be held accountable for that and the repairs, should you choose to keep the unit, need to be their responsibility. Hopefully in a timely manner.

You asked if others have had these issues with a new unit and if you read these forums or talk to many rv’ers you’ll find more than you should that yes, they’ve had similar experiences. So you’re not alone. And most have them fixed and go on to make great memories in their rv’s. I hope that’s the case for you with your new rv.
Old 05-03-2022, 08:54 AM   #7
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
So where is the Schwintek controller?
Old 05-03-2022, 09:24 AM   #8
C&P RV
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30294
There are two slides and two controllers for the rear den, one on each side of the coach. Since that model has the elevated rear living area (or rear den) the controllers are easily accessed by opening the storage compartment doors directly under the slides and look up. In our 2022 3791RD there is a lot of excess cable that is zip tied to the aluminum supports for the living are floor which also makes them easy to spot.
C&P RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 02:18 PM   #9
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner9041 View Post
We just purchased a 2022 Montana 3791RD camper and had it transported to us. It arrived in bad shape! Punch list of 20 ish items with largest 2 issues being both living room slides are inoperable!!! I didn’t want to take delivery but hubby thought it could all be fixed. 3 weeks later only just got unit it Camping World. We are now in a 3-4 week que before it even gets inside a bay for diagnosis. Initial diagnosis by mobile service is that one slide is due to bad motor and the other slide is due to schwyntech (sp) slides mechanism that has to be rebuilt. Anyone else have these type of issues with brand new unit? I’m heart broken!!!
Sadly not that unusual. An RV is actually a rolling parts and tools carrier for the DIYer towing it. Oh, and sometimes we camp.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote