Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2023, 05:49 PM   #1
BuckandTeresa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24683
Starlink cable run to inside?

2019 Montana High Country, 330RL.

Just got my Starlink. Works great in my front yard. Monument, CO. Variable speeds in a ten minute period, from 100/8 to 20/8. Colorado Springs is probably pretty user-dense at about a million people.

Question: how have you Starlink users brought the gray cable into your media center? The plug on the end that plugs into the Mesh router is a weird L-shape about 1 inch by 3 inches.

For my Dishnet, I drilled a 1/2” hole in the entertainment center slideout wall. Second time was the charm (first time I hit a hot 120 v electric wire, had to repair it). Tried putting a coax plug-in plate for access, but it tore my slideout rubber seal after a few uses, so now I just use the hole, pushing the coax through to the Wally, leaving a drip loop for the cable outside. Works great.

I tried to push the Starlink cable through the slideout rubber seal area, no luck.

I’m considering cutting a couple of holes, one above the other, and using a sabersaw to connect them to make a hole big enough to push the Starlink cable through. I have a good previous hole for the second Dishnet satellite, so if I start here, hopefully no more sparks.

I thought of just putting it through a window, but several of our Colorado mountain campgrounds have biting black flies on and off through the season.

Does anyone have a better idea?

Thanks!

BuckandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 06:06 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
There are a couple members here that have done Starlink installs. As the cable is a specialized CAT5 thingie, you can cut the cable and wire in RJ45 connectors. I believe this Post will help;
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums....php?p=1277918

Do a Search on "starlink cable" to see about 8 Threads of info and pictures.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 06:31 PM   #3
BuckandTeresa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24683
Thanks! I’ll check it out.
Old 08-26-2023, 06:06 AM   #4
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
Did mine like this, but my skills at cable ends are little better. Also use Flagpole Buddy.

fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 10:11 AM   #5
BuckandTeresa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24683
Interesting video! Thanks so much for finding this for me!
Old 08-26-2023, 12:44 PM   #6
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
Another bulkhead fitting option - the plan is to connect as BuckandTeresa through the bottom of the slide, or bottom of the “end table” next to the couch. The bulkhead fitting will be in the j-box which will sit under the rig.

https://www.amazon.com/CNLINKO-Water...s%2C203&sr=8-8

https://www.amazon.com/Dustproof-Wat...s%2C196&sr=8-3

Right now, we’re just placing the router in the basement and connecting dishy through the wetbay port. Works fine.
LeftOverParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 05:22 PM   #7
BuckandTeresa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24683
My next door neighbor also puts his in the cargo bay with no problems.

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-30-2023, 01:50 PM   #8
lj_cox
Established Member

M.O.C. #19296
We fed ours from the inside, as that was the more streamlined plug. Won't work for most, but we used the unused plumbing line to the w/d cabinet as a wire run - our media is all in that cabinet.

Excess cable is coiled in the front storage compartment. I used rubber grommets on existing holes in the bulkhead to prevent wire wear and ran the cable into the front compartment and back out. In use the cable exits the rig from the open bottom of door-side propane compartment. We got cable end protectors from etsy and velcroed them to the wall of the propane compartment - the cable end goes in its protector and that gets stuck to the wall.

We used the weboost flagpole with an adaptor at the end that the dish clicks into, and got extra brackets so there are 3 different possible positions for the flagpole - makes getting clear sky much easier.
lj_cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 05:18 PM   #9
PilotEd
Established Member

M.O.C. #18090
I just put my cable through the rear/side window. Leaves about an 1/8” gap. Easy setup and takedown.
PilotEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 05:31 PM   #10
ScaryPapa
Established Member

M.O.C. #30351
The new Starlink cables are USB C. We just run ours thru a window.
Old 08-30-2023, 09:30 PM   #11
BuckandTeresa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24683
Thanks, everybody!

I ended up widening the previous Dishnet coax hole in the entertainment slideout with a 3/4” bit, then fed dark brown Gorilla tape through to shield the cable from the metal edges. I made a tunnel with the tape to make it easier for the narrower end of the Starlink cable to feed from the inside out. I velcroed the router to the back wall behind the TV for security during travel. I will add a temporary patch of Gorilla tape over the exterior exit hole and cable during setup. I mounted a Dishnet ladder mount to the ladder (after removing the round plate) and adding a short length of pipe with the Starlink proprietary pipe adaptor.

Pretty simple. I will add Velcro straps to the ladder mount to relieve the strain on the cable as it hangs down from the Starlink antenna.

Thanks again to everyone for their help.
Old 08-31-2023, 07:10 AM   #12
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Buck, check out my post here:
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=88589
My goal was to be able to use StarLink at home and on the road without having to do anything other than put up the Dishy. After traveling four months through Canada and Alaska, it has worked flawlessly. Even in trees, we had service. 5 minute deploy for StarLink and my weather station. We also streamed to two additional Montana’s simultaneously.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 11:12 AM   #13
BuckandTeresa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24683
Rames14,
Looks like you’ve got it knocked! Great job.

Buck