Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2023, 02:58 PM   #1
richeyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22661
Loss of power

Have had Montana HC is storage plugged into shore power for last month. When getting ready for last trip next week found shore power going into coach on both 50 amp lineshow normal input 110 and 126 with zero errors on EMS and batteries showing all 4 at 100% charge. Power going to Frig and interior lights when plugged into shore, all off when disconnected. Unable to extend or retract slide outs or awnings…. Unplugged for 10 min hoping for a reset but nothing happened. Attempted to turn on onboard generator but nothing.. At the end of my expertise, help!

B Richey
2018 Montana HC 380

richeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 03:20 PM   #2
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Do you have a multi meter to check the battery levels when disconnected from shore power? You might check the battery disconnect switch to make sure it's on.

When on shore power, and with a functioning converter, all your power levels will look good. You might have bad batteries. But check to make sure.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 03:37 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Billy,

Assuming the batteries have a good charge there is a resettable CB near the batteries which may be the culprit.

It passes power to/from the converter and batteries. You want to check there is 12+V on each side of the CB.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 03:49 PM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
No DC power from battery. Good when on Shore power or connected to truck via 7 way cable.
For a 5th wheel RV...
Take a multimeter. On shore power, check each post of your red 50A self resetting circuit breakers near your batteries (1&2). They should all read the same (about 12.4vdc).
Now remove shore power. Check them again.
Which ever one is NOT showing 12vdc on the post, it is bad. Replace it.
Note: charging is also possible via the 7 way cable from your tow vehicle. It could be supplying power on the same (good) side of the breaker.
Buy Bussmann 50A self resetting circuit breakers. Very reliable. You can get them at your local auto parts store.

Perfect 12vdc troubleshooting flow chart:
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=86323
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hydraulic 80A circuit breaker.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	15745  
Daryles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 04:38 PM   #5
richeyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22661
To all.. I check the 4 6 volt batteries. All showed about 2.5 v each…. as far a 50 or 80 amp breaker I don’t seen one inline in the battery compartment or cral space

Can I leave the batteries tied in series and charge them all tighten if I disconnect from Coach and connect a charger overnight?
Old 10-14-2023, 05:09 PM   #6
richeyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22661
Daryles. I have three of the red connections you have labeled 1 and 2. Are these the points I should be reading 12+ volts?
For tonight Imhave disconnect my batteries and put on a charger to make sure they will accept a charge.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/08bZ...XYZX9IIsXgO_Pw
Old 10-14-2023, 07:48 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The picture show 4 of the self-resetting CBs with the red covers. The pic doesn't show enough of the wiring to determine which one is which. Start with the one directly connected to the battery. Ensure it has 12V on each side (with shore power OFF and not hooked up to the truck) by using a frame ground and touching the a 12V side of the CB. If the first one tests good, go to the next one. You are looking for the one that feeds 12V to the hydraulic pump motor.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 08:44 PM   #8
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
What Carl said.
For your rig, they added another red CB to share the load.
Don't forget to check your "BATTERY Disconnect".
Make sure it's ON (cannot remove red key).
Ignore the word Disconnect, and just read it as BATTERY ON, BATTERY OFF.
Daryles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 08:53 AM   #9
richeyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22661
Thanks for the suggestions. I can assume if I did the checks with shore power on there should be a 14 or so flow going toward the batteries as I test. Showing they are or should be charging…..
Old 10-15-2023, 11:30 AM   #10
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
To check if the batteries are getting charge - check the voltage at the batteries.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 01:04 PM   #11
richeyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22661
Carl. I think it is the converter. Not getting any increase in voltAge at any of the red CBs when plugged into shore power. Took apart crawl space walls and pulled out power destrobution panel and do not see the Converter. Any ideas where it might be in our 2017 Montana HC 380?
Old 10-15-2023, 01:48 PM   #12
BuckandTeresa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24683
My friend has a similar problem on his 2017 Keystone Sprinter. Truck powers the awning and electric (not hydraulic) slides, shore power and batteries alone won’t. They checked good with a multimeter while disconnected. All other 12V lights and systems work on all power sources. It sounds like the circuit breaker you are describing might be the issue. It can’t be a self-resetting one like the pictures of red self-resetting ones here since it doesn’t self reset. Can you describe it, and better, show a picture? He has 3 sealed AGM batteries wired properly, but they may be blocking the visual line of sight on this CB.
BuckandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 02:05 PM   #13
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by richeyb View Post
Have had Montana HC is storage plugged into shore power for last month. When getting ready for last trip next week found shore power going into coach on both 50 amp lineshow normal input 110 and 126 with zero errors on EMS and batteries showing all 4 at 100% charge. …..
Not clear on your statement. Are you saying you had 110 volts on one hot and 126 volts on the other hot? That would not be normal.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 03:02 PM   #14
richeyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22661
My mistake. #1 126. #2 124
Old 10-15-2023, 04:07 PM   #15
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I am going to throw in my suggestion. I believe in picking a point to start troubleshooting and using measurements to determine where to look next.

With shore power off, measure voltage at both terminals on all 4 circuit breakers in your picture. They should all read whatever the battery voltage is. Record those voltages. If any one is different that is a problem.

With shore power on, repeat the voltage check at both terminals on all 4 circuit breakers. Again, they should all read the same voltage. If the converter is on the voltage should be that converter voltage, whatever it is.

Any difference in any terminal will determine next step.
Old 10-15-2023, 04:48 PM   #16
richeyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22661
I have checked voltage with shore, power off and all 4 CB read same voltage on both post of each CB
WhenI add shore power the reading remain the same as the battery readings showing no increase of power from the converter.
I assume I have a converter problem, possible just a blown fuse on the converter, but can’t find it.

Any expert suggestions of locating my Converter would be appreciated.

It is a deck mounted WFCO-9800 series…
Old 10-15-2023, 05:12 PM   #17
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Sounds like you have narrowed it down to the next logical step.
Old 10-15-2023, 08:11 PM   #18
richeyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22661
I think so. Just need to find where they hide the Converter.
Old 10-15-2023, 08:42 PM   #19
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by richeyb View Post
I have checked voltage with shore, power off and all 4 CB read same voltage on both post of each CB
What specifiic voltage did you measure with a VOM doing this?
You did go from one pole of the CB to frame ground when measuring?
Quote:
When I add shore power the reading remain the same as the battery readings showing no increase of power from the converter.
I assume I have a converter problem, possible just a blown fuse on the converter, but can’t find it.
There are Reverse Polarity fuses in the converter to protect it if you hook u the batteries backwards. Have the batteries been unconnected recently?
What voltage did you measure with the VOM when measuring voltage with shore power?
Quote:
Any expert suggestions of locating my Converter would be appreciated.

It is a deck mounted WFCO-9800 series…
I don't know where you converter is located. But the WFCO-9800 is a stand alone box (aka "deck mounted") and will be a short distance from the 120 CB and 12V Fuse panel. The reverse Polarity fuses are next to the 12V power lines on the converter. This is what is should look like.

It really helps us figure out what is wrong if you post the voltage measurements you find at each point of the troubleshooting using the link Daryls posted earlier.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 09:14 AM   #20
richeyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22661
Thank you Carl, I’ll remeasure this morning, But yesterday with shore power off each of the CB post read 8.? . And when I reconnected shore power they Al 4 read the same.
I have had the batteries on a charger all night and will re measure again later.
Yes I have disconnected batteries to charge them. But carefully reconnected each time in same order as they have been for 4 yrs.