Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2021, 07:07 AM   #41
Five O'clock Somewhere
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20168
I've pulled trailers for a long time, horse, cattle, boat and RV's. Some bumper pull, some goose neck and for the last 15 years or so mostly fithwheels.

Up until 5 years ago I was stuck on Reese hitches, a buddy talked me into trying a Curt hitch and I loved it. Easy to hook up to, and service. Holds tight with little to any play.

For the money they can't be beat.

Five O'clock Somewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:28 AM   #42
Rider
Established Member

M.O.C. #30237
We're new to this. Bought an '03 3255RLLL last month. It's parked in KY 'til our '02 Dodge 3500 has upgraded brakes and a hitch. We'd like to follow your experiences, issues, resolutions, and get a woman's perspective. My health is deteriorating, debilitating. Wife does increasingly more.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:27 AM   #43
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
We're new to this. Bought an '03 3255RLLL last month. It's parked in KY 'til our '02 Dodge 3500 has upgraded brakes and a hitch. We'd like to follow your experiences, issues, resolutions, and get a woman's perspective. My health is deteriorating, debilitating. Wife does increasingly more.
Welcome to the forum, and sorry to hear that your health is deteriorating.
If you are ok leaving the hitch in your bed, then a traditional 5th wheel hitch will be fine. But, if you are thinking that you may want to use your bed for hauling at times, then I would recommend the setup we now have.
It's the Reese Goosebox, and instead of being a hitch, it replaces the pinbox on the trailer. Then all you have in the box is a gooseneck ball that can easily be removed if needed - no hitch at all in the bed!
We really like how well it works; it has air suspension and shocks built in, so it really smooths out the ride. The downside is that it is trickier to connect truck to trailer, as you need to position the pinbox right over top of the ball.

Here is a link . But note you will need to chat with someone to make sure you get the right part number that fits the pinbox of your year and model of your trailer.

Hope that helps!
Brad
Old 01-14-2022, 09:31 AM   #44
dallasrules
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26856
Anderson Ultimate hitch

You can search this forum for all of the discussions on this hitch, but I love it. Here is why.
It attaches to either a ball in your bed, or rails. I have a flip ball, so my bed is flat when not using the hitch.
It only weights 30 lbs and installs in minutes.
You don't have to change out your pinion. You use an adapter which installs in minutes.
Height adjustments are as simple as pulling a pin and moving the ball up or down.
You don't feel as much of the trailers movement because it rides on the ball as opposed to being locked into a conventional 5th wheel hitch that is locked solid to your truck.
I think hitching and unhitching are easier. Back under ball, lower trailer onto ball, lock the mechanism.
Andersons customer service has always been beyond excellent.

I have pull 7 different 5th wheels with the same hitch. From 28 to 37'. Never had a problem.
dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:19 AM   #45
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasrules View Post
You can search this forum for all of the discussions on this hitch, but I love it. Here is why.
It attaches to either a ball in your bed, or rails. I have a flip ball, so my bed is flat when not using the hitch.
It only weights 30 lbs and installs in minutes.
You don't have to change out your pinion. You use an adapter which installs in minutes.
Height adjustments are as simple as pulling a pin and moving the ball up or down.
You don't feel as much of the trailers movement because it rides on the ball as opposed to being locked into a conventional 5th wheel hitch that is locked solid to your truck.
I think hitching and unhitching are easier. Back under ball, lower trailer onto ball, lock the mechanism.
Andersons customer service has always been beyond excellent.

I have pull 7 different 5th wheels with the same hitch. From 28 to 37'. Never had a problem.
Yes, we used an AUH on a couple rigs for ~30,000 miles and love the hitch too. We moved away from it due to the warranty concerns on a new rig; doesn't apply to the OP, so I agree it would be worth considering for sure.

I would disagree with the easier hitching though. After a few times it gets easier, but I do not think it's as easy as backing onto a regular 5th wheel hitch. With those you just back up until you feel a clunk - you definitely don't want to do that with the AUH!!!

Brad
Old 01-14-2022, 12:05 PM   #46
Jritz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25583
I agree with the above about the B&W hitch. This is my second one. My first was a slider and took 2 of us to get out of the truck, I don’t need a slider now so I bought the standard one. 25,000 pound I can remove it by myself. The head comes off and then the base is easy to remove. Excellent hitch.
I really don’t know the weight of your new 5er but I would suggest not getting a SRW. I had one and it did fine but, if you have an accident your probably going to be over weight. I have a dually 350 and it’s my every day driver too. Never a problem and the payload is 5,400 lbs.
Jritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 02:06 PM   #47
Dobie dogs
Established Member

M.O.C. #15752
Hensley BD3 trailer saver
Don’t even know the Monty is back there behind my f350 king ranch dually diesel
Dobie dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 06:59 PM   #48
Gubs
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27658
Favorite Hitch

I pull a 2020 Montana 3121RL with a 2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 short bed truck. I used to have a Valley 16K slider but bought a new BW Patriot 18K slider and love it. No more jerking or slack play with this hitch. Easy to maintain, easy to use both attaching and unhooking! Very sturdy hitch and well worth the money. I would highly recommend the BW line of hitches!!!

Larry & Marilyn Gubbels
2019 F-350 Diesel 4X4, Short Bed, BW 18K slider,
closely followed by a 2020 Montana 3121RL
Gubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:17 PM   #49
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
B&W companion on our Ram and have been extremely impressed. Used Reese hitches years ago, both FW and gooseneck due to being mounted on rails and therefore convertable. I most likely won't do so, but if I ever changed up I I'm pretty sure I would go with a Reese Goosebox since I'm comfortable with gooseneck hookups.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:18 PM   #50
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Fortunately or unfortunately, I’ve had the opportunity to use: B&W slider (heavy and didn’t care for latching method), Pullrite (mounting to king pin ball - loved latching) and now MOPAR/Curt 25k (love the way it holds king pin and when it’s latched there are no worries)

It would be great to be able to try several before buying … most all have their favorite and betting just like TV’s all are good.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote