Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2021, 11:29 AM   #21
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
We found one of these used for our 2018 F350 on FB Marketplace for $400.00. Came with the guys truck and he only hauled gooseneck cattle trailers so it was "new used".

When we were shopping (NE Florida) there were several for sale priced similarly. No complaints with it whatsoever.

https://accessories.ford.com/kit-tra...bar-11553.html

R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:54 AM   #22
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.O'Donnell View Post
We found one of these used for our 2018 F350 on FB Marketplace for $400.00. Came with the guys truck and he only hauled gooseneck cattle trailers so it was "new used".

When we were shopping (NE Florida) there were several for sale priced similarly. No complaints with it whatsoever.

https://accessories.ford.com/kit-tra...bar-11553.html
Great hitch ,the Reese Elite ,I too have that hitch in an 18K slider .Have towed with it for several years with two different fifth wheels. I now prefer the Andersen. Although I still have the Reese, and will use it on occasion . The Andersen was bought to be able to remove easily when I spend the summer in Montana, so I am able to transport my inflatable pontoon boat to fish with .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:24 PM   #23
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by JandC View Post
Sold our DP and will be purchasing a F350 (SRW) and fiver within the next month. We are still full timing so this will go pretty quickly.

Since it has been over 6 years since my last fiver, what are some of the more popular hitches being used now, and why? Appreciate any recommendations.

Joe
Joel,
I have a B&W Companion hitch,and the MorRyde isolating pin box. It is hands down the smoothest setup I've ever pulled. No chucking or porpising whatsoever. I couldn't be more pleased.

Mark
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:27 PM   #24
Briarglenn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6613
Hitch Suggestion

I went to the Pullrite Superlite. Love it. No clunking, easy to remove & load. At my age, the weight was extremely important. I pull an '18 Montana 3790. TV is a SRW '11 F 350. 2 trips to AK from AZ and many other trips throughout the west. No problems.
Briarglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:28 PM   #25
Anatnom
Established Member

M.O.C. #23514
Lots of information for you to read about. I like the Ford puck system but I bought my most recent truck in 2008 before that system was going strong. I bought a Reese hitch to go with my eigjt foot bed.. Later I found the Reese system is what Ford uses I bought a frame that includes a mount and a Reese hitch. The mount goes under the bed of the truck. Then I installed a fifth wheel hitch from Reese. Both are ready to move and use. When taken out the full truck bed is available if I need it. I have rubber pucks to put in the holes in the bed , The frame is all under the bed and level with the top of the bed., the same way Ford installs the same hitch. I keep it greased up and clean and with a plate to put above the hitch, the hitch and camper go real well with no friction. Ready to install and easy to use. It is heavy as a total unit but it can come apart and be really removed.
Anatnom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:50 PM   #26
Bill M
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23206
If you have a short bed, Super Slide might be in order. I have a F350 SRW, Club Cab & no worries of breaking rear window with the super slide. Rails are rated 25k & slide is the 24k model.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:17 PM   #27
mchurch314
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22121
I couldn't be happier with my Reese Goosebox....nothing in the bed but a ball. And it does NOT void the trailer warranty. It's a little less forgiving to line up (compared to a traditional hitch) when hooking up but a small price to pay given the convenience, and it get easier after you do it a few times.
mchurch314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:24 PM   #28
Brian S
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Another happy B&W with the Ford puck system user here.
Same here! Especially since I can easily lift the two pieces out when not in use. That’s important to me.
Brian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:33 PM   #29
D/A Power

M.O.C. #24966
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchurch314 View Post
I couldn't be happier with my Reese Goosebox....nothing in the bed but a ball. And it does NOT void the trailer warranty. It's a little less forgiving to line up (compared to a traditional hitch) when hooking up but a small price to pay given the convenience, and it get easier after you do it a few times.
Ditto. No comparison. 20+ years with 5’ers and will never go back to a traditional hitch. Absolutely right that the warranty is not affected. Mines currently at the factory and they picked it up with the goose box.
D/A Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:44 PM   #30
CaptainDave225
Established Member

M.O.C. #26917
My two cents...if you have a short bed...PullRite Super glide...
Dave
CaptainDave225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:52 PM   #31
Jritz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25583
I have the B&W Companion. Great hitch!
Don’t know how heavy the 5er your looking at but I had a 350 SRW and just traded it for a dually. Just a thought before you spend the money.
Jritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:57 PM   #32
dlarouche123

M.O.C. #27661
Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
I am using the Anderson and really like it. I have it hooked to a Curt gooseneck setup. At less than 40lbs. and having two lower discs fused in my back, the weight is something i can manage pulling in and out of the truck.
You need to install a lockout kit for the roto flex hitch. Saw this on another forum on Facebook. The couple had it unhitch.
dlarouche123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:58 PM   #33
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Andersen ultimate all the way.

I'm on my second Andersen Ultimate. First the steel one and now the aluminum one. I'll never go back to old school heavy steel. My wife can literally remove this hitch by herself in 5 minutes and I'll be back to a clean, flat bed. Mind you she doesn't too often, but she does for me occasionally.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 03:17 PM   #34
Scootsk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23929
Love my B&W. Installed myself. Due to design, no pull test is necessary. If the jaws are closed and the lock in place , that trailer is not slipping out
Scootsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:51 PM   #35
LERD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27487
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMont View Post
I am an autoslide user. My solution for the heavy hitch is to use a Harbour Freight engine hoist to move my Sliderite 2315 (2300 for Ram puck system) in and out of the bed. My hitch weighs in at #280 according to the manufacturer. I also use the Demko adapter to lift it from the king pin jaws. It is pretty easy to slide the hitch a bit so it balances. The engine hoist folds up and I store my hitch on 2x4's in my garage. It is a one person operation. I also start my lift with the gate up, connect, move it back a bit, then open the gate to remove it. I put moving blankets on the gate to prevent any potential scratching.
How do you use that hoist? I measured my truck (5.5 ft bed) with the tailgate down. Then checked the specs on the hoist. But I thought the head was out of reach to pull the hitch off the pins. I have the 3100 series for my F150. Do you have to remove your tailgate first? I love the hitch, not the 375 lbs. that goes with it!
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:52 PM   #36
dallasrules
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26856
I second the Anderson ultimate hitch. I have been through 6 5th wheels with the same hitch. Ran into an issue with the adapter last year and Anderson overnighter me a new part for free. Only weighs about 30 lbs. As a woman, even a 70 or 80 lb hitch would be too big for me to wrestle around.
dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:10 AM   #37
Zinnman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15824
I have a Reese Elite and my reasons are:
1) Minimum space required.
2) My truck was prepared for a hitch and the ease of the 4 locking tabs into the bed work well.
3) I have an 8’ bed.
4) It has proven itself strong and durable. I caught a RR track with my right front leg in Alaska in 17 and it held solid. The 1/4” steel and hydraulic leg were bent nearly 45 degrees. The aluminum in some hitches worry me.
5) There is no doubt when it latches that it IS secured.

Hope this helps.
Zinnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:02 AM   #38
steiny93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17461
I wanted a clear bed when the hitch wasn't installed and I wanted a slider (mega cab with the short 6.4' box).

I went B&W Turn Over with a B&W Companion slider. It fulfills the above requirements (which is awesome) but it is heavy to take in and out. Like silly heavy.

Knowing the above I'd strongly consider the Anderson.
But, I wouldn't go back to rails, having a clear bed is really nice.
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:55 PM   #39
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Another very satisfied B&W owner here. On my '07 Silverado I had a Reese R20 with no complaints. I was new to 5th wheels, so went with a popular name in hitches. When I upgraded to my current truck (sig), I got the puck system and decided to go with the B&W Companion, mostly due to stuff I read here. Totally satisfied. It's heavy, but manageable (for me) in 2 pieces. I can grunt it in and out without trouble. Just make sure you snug the castlenuts on the corners with weight on the hitch, to eliminate chucking. Great company, too, I might add.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:27 PM   #40
Kris & Al
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18907
A happy SuperGlide owner!

Thought I might have a problem putting our old SuperGlide in our new Ram 3500, but the Mopar puck adapter accommodated the ISR set up we had in our 2012 Ram perfectly. The puck frame becomes the new ISR. 10th year with our SuperGlide, never had anything else so really can’t comment on others, with zero problems. That is... after we learned YOU CAN’T come in high when you hook up.
Kris & Al is offline   Reply With Quote