Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2023, 10:07 AM   #1
Chalkie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28678
Stange 12v lighting issue

We have a 2021 3791RD that has the indirect LED lighting in the hall, galley and den areas. This is all controlled off of one switch in the panel. The lighting over the dining table, around/in the island and along the stove counter all work fine. The light in the fixture over the island, not the pendants which are seperate, is NOT working at all and all the other lights along the ceiling edge are working but are dim.

The fuse for this circuit is good and all other 12v lighting in the slides and ceiling pucks all work as well.

Everything was fine when we went to bed last night and this morning this is the issue.

I am stumped and at a loss as where to even begin to troubleshoot the problem. Ideas and pointers are welcomed. Thanks!

Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 12:48 PM   #2
C&P RV
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30294
It's the heat in Leander -
Seriously, this sounds like a broken wire / loose connection on the circuit that feeds the ceiling for the main coach and kitchen island. I would probably get on the ladder and start at the island to see if you can see where the connection comes in from the ceiling. You might also check the back side of the switch to see if there are multiple connections at that point.

I've not checked those connections on mine, but I'd guess that the wire that feeds the ceiling also runs across to the overhead lights at the island. Really strange that the problem would appear overnight.

According to the wiring guide the wires will be green & white 14 ga and should have a number stamped on them (probably 3 - maybe 4) for the zone in the trailer.

Good luck - let us know what you find!
C&P RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 09:41 AM   #3
Chalkie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28678
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&P RV View Post
It's the heat in Leander -
Seriously, this sounds like a broken wire / loose connection on the circuit that feeds the ceiling for the main coach and kitchen island. I would probably get on the ladder and start at the island to see if you can see where the connection comes in from the ceiling. You might also check the back side of the switch to see if there are multiple connections at that point.

I've not checked those connections on mine, but I'd guess that the wire that feeds the ceiling also runs across to the overhead lights at the island. Really strange that the problem would appear overnight.

According to the wiring guide the wires will be green & white 14 ga and should have a number stamped on them (probably 3 - maybe 4) for the zone in the trailer.

Good luck - let us know what you find!
It might well have been the heat! Even though it is much cooler today than it has been.

I did drag the step ladder in and checked all the high connections I could find and did not see anything obvious. So I pulled out the switch panel to check the back side of the switch. Let me tell you what! That is a complete, total RAT'S NEST back in there. I started trying to trace the wires from that switch through the mess which required getting my hand in there and moving wires around and all of a sudden all the lights started working.

There is group of 7 wires that come together in a big crimp cap that feeds all the light runs off that switch, well two actually, one hot and the other ground. I have no idea which it was and I could not feel or see anything loose but they are working again. It is amazing how dark it seemed in here without those on as we are keeping the window shades mostly closed due to the heat.

Thanks for getting me thinking along the right path to solve it. I appreciate it, as I have gotten older I sometimes need someone to give me a direction.
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote