Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2024, 01:28 PM   #1
brycesteiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33140
Post 2020 RV's - are they really that bad?

The post created last week about the age of your Montana is a very interesting thread about how people made the decisions for what they would acquire. Some brought up keeping their existing trailer, or specifically getting a new-to-them late model that was before 2020.

I do see people complaining more about RV's built in the last 3-4 years but is it real or are people just more frustrated in general, like we see a lot on social media?

Here is a video I ran across that I would be truly frustrated over. Is this the norm or do lemons just happen and warranties don't mean much?

Has the quality deteriorated of new RV models compared to before 2020?

brycesteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 03:01 PM   #2
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
Mine’s a 2021. These things aren’t perfect but I have gotten by with just one visit back to my dealer so far for a warranted issue I couldn’t handle myself that had nothing to do with being a late model. There are many posts about the same issue across all brands over the last ten years. Just don’t understand why they can’t correct it at build time.
We use ours about 180 days per year and have run up close to 15,000 miles on it. Others swear they wouldn’t buy a newer unit, but I got no complaints.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 01:28 PM   #3
DavidG425
Established Member

M.O.C. #27789
People will always complain louder and faster than they will throw around some praise.

We are on our 3rd RV (first Montana). First one, no issues. Second one, a 2007 Adirondack, had a delamination issue, which was apparently a common problem for some manufacturers that year. And only a minor interior molding issue that was easily fixed on our Montana.

Keep in mind that Rv's are a rolling earthquake going down the road, so it is inevitable that something will shake its way loose and/or break.
DavidG425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 01:31 PM   #4
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
We have a 2023 Fuzion and have not had any problems.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 01:40 PM   #5
lajitasgal
Established Member

M.O.C. #18954
Post 2020 RVs, quality issues

We have a 2019 Montana model 3121 RL, purchased new in June 2019. We have been taking an average of 6 trips per year. We've had our share of issues - replaced b/r air co and b/r slide motor, and fixed cantilever bathroom door (fixed, but the design just sucks). We also have a back shade that no longer retracts because it falls down due to not having enough support (another flawed design). We're an example of buyers who are glad they bought the extended warranty. But it's no worse than other rigs we've owned over the years. Our worst was an Aspen (no longer made) with horrible slide issues that no one, including the manufacturer, could ever fix. Best rig ever was a 2000 Mobil Scout (totalled in an accident - broke my heart).
lajitasgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 01:58 PM   #6
jwengermt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26938
The older ones seem to have better quality and less maintenance issues. We bought a 2006 4 years ago and have about 20,000 miles on it. Other than regular maintenance we have not had any issues. We are very pleased with the quality. We did remodel the inside and updated the flooring and plumbing fixtures. We've been very happy with it. The older ones don't have as many things that can go wrong.
2004 Chev 2500 HD
jwengermt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 03:14 PM   #7
High5er
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #33861
There was a massive demand for RV's during the pandemic shutdown and manufacturers were rushing to get units delivered to cash in on the demand. I understand a lot of those 'Covid Trailers' were riddled with defects in craftsmanship.

We bought a 2020 Cougar and on our pre-delivery walk through we made a list of about 20 things that needed to be fixed. Most were minor, but not all. When we bought this 2024 Montana the pre-delivery walkthrough resulted in a whopping 2 things that required attention, both minor.

So in my experience, I don't believe current manufacturing practices are producing lesser quality RVs, but that period of amplified demand for them certainly seems to have had an impact.
High5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 03:15 PM   #8
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
It's a Covid thing. During Covid demand went way up while supplies, materials and labor went down. They ramped up production using whatever materials they could acquirer, including unqualified labor. And to keep up with demand they had unreasonable build quotas. Pump them out as fast as they can! We still bought the inferior product at a higher price! The corps realized that they could produce a crappy product and we would still buy it. The margins went way up! So way change? As long as we continue to buy crap they'll continue to build it! If you've noticed, the prices are dropping due to interest rates and inflation. Hopefully they'll learn and make a change, but I wouldn't hold my breath..
Old 02-07-2024, 03:44 PM   #9
ErnieSC
Established Member

M.O.C. #33461
David,
Do you think there is any praise justified from this young couple on this Unit? They have tolerated much, much more than I ever would have. With a car requiring THREE separate significant issues, the LEMON LAW requires the Manufacturer to Buy it Back. Having owned three RV's I understand it is similar to putting your house on wheels and driving it down the road. But at $125K, many of their issues had nothing to do with bouncing around.
They should have Lawyered Up as soon as all these issues were uncovered. One or two problems? OK. They're driving a Piece of Dangerous Junk!
ErnieSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 06:40 PM   #10
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
I just saw a video about a DRL with the frame flex issue. I understand that a few Montana's post 2020 have had that issue too. Grand Design is seems to have the most issues with this.

I know they are all Lippert frames.

That is what scares me. My '04 is still solid, and looks good if your OK with white! Even the decals are good. I have 3 full hydraulic slides (not Schwintek) or cable slides. The interior is not falling apart. It has been taken care of, but I wonder what a 2021 will look like in 20 years? Maybe they will be fine.

I do think though that quality has suffered in the name of cost savings.
Mark7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 12:13 AM   #11
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
People are all over the place on this issue. Many here have rigs in those years. Some are very happy with them, others not so much.

It's really just an odds game. It's no secret that quality declined...alot...during Covid. The dealers were all complaining about it.

It's not that you can't find a well-built unit post 2020. But the odds of a lemon are much higher than pre-Covid...and even then we weren't lemon-free. So, as always, it's buyer beware. A very thorough inspection should be conducted no matter when the rig was built.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 03:31 AM   #12
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
2020-2022 a lot of folks turned towards RVing and would never had if the travel ban would not been in place.
They were not meant to camp and hence they are surprised by issues with those campers and not willing to accept what they have to do with it. Also those folks are more social media people and vocal there.
Thats also a reason on that impression arrises its all garbage out of those years.
Most seasoned people I know have not more or less issues as with older production.
Our new 2023 had 1 issue which was super minor at the end once found. Build quality solar seems awesome and better that our previous 2017.

Mike

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 05:08 AM   #13
brycesteiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33140
I was just at the Fort Wayne RV Show and one thing that I noticed was how thin/soft the paneling was on some of these models. I thought ours was a little pushy but nothing compared to some of these. I also noticed the floors felt "soft". I didn't really get to the high end models as the show was an hour from closing when I arrived.
One thing that bothers me on many of the new models is all of the blue LED strip lights under everything. They are annoying and make it hard to look at what is really there.
brycesteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 07:49 AM   #14
fuquatj
Established Member

M.O.C. #19619
I bought a new 2017 model 3931FB. Traded it for a new 2021 model 3780RL, which I still have. While my wife and I have enjoyed camping in both, every trip makes me glad that the place I store the camper(s) is right beside the dealership where I bought them. This is because I know that after every camping trip the unit will be going there for repair of whatever has failed.
fuquatj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 03:30 PM   #15
High5er
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #33861
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycesteiner View Post
I was just at the Fort Wayne RV Show and one thing that I noticed was how thin/soft the paneling was on some of these models. I thought ours was a little pushy but nothing compared to some of these. I also noticed the floors felt "soft". I didn't really get to the high end models as the show was an hour from closing when I arrived.
One thing that bothers me on many of the new models is all of the blue LED strip lights under everything. They are annoying and make it hard to look at what is really there.
I've seen that mostly in the Ultra-Lite's. We had an Open Range Ultra-Lite travel trailer for a few years and everything was VERY thin. It looked nice, but after a while it felt cheap. I have to believe thin materials are only going to grow in popularity since people want to tow with their SUV's and crossovers instead of buying a proper truck (these are also the people I see most often pulled over and overheated during the summer).
High5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 10:20 AM   #16
desertdog
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #33254
I own a 2015 model. As I look at newer used models there is quite a bit of difference between 2015 vs. 2016 and newer used models. primary are the floors and new look of the cabinets. My trailer is mostly carpet, whereas the 16's and newer tend to be vinyl/composit floors (which I prefer) the wood work in the 15 is much more solid, so is the Weight though so I guess its a trade off. I would recommend anyone buying a used 5th wheel getting a 2016 to 2018, from my shopping they seem to have the newer looking style and still built well. I like mine, don't get me wrong, but I like the look and feel of the slighty newer models. Also I've done a bunch of repairs inside and outside to my current rig, but i feel like its a solid trailer just needs constant repairs, mostly minor ones. I enjoy learning and working on my trailer for now, until I pull the trigger on a new or newer used one.

2015 Montana 3402 RL.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L HO DRW 50 gal GT
desertdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 12:29 PM   #17
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Newer models also have more to go wrong. My 2007 was more trouble free than I could have ever hoped. Almost no problems and nothing even near major. But it did not have any electronics. No transfer switch. Electric front jacks and manual rear jacks. No electric slides. Woodwork was nice but not elaborate. Basic day/night shades that could be annoying but never failed. And so on. Newer models just seem to have more “stuff” that can fail and maybe not the highest quality of some of that “stuff”. And I suspect the higher yearly production numbers hasn’t helped.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 10:20 AM   #18
riflegunbuilder
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23386
I have a 2019, after Thor bought Keystone. A friend has a 17. The difference in the quality of these is astounding. Anything Thor touches is cheapened It seems.
riflegunbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 10:27 AM   #19
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by riflegunbuilder View Post
I have a 2019, after Thor bought Keystone. A friend has a 17. The difference in the quality of these is astounding. Anything Thor touches is cheapened It seems.
While there may be differences between a 2017 and 2019, it is not because Thor just bought Keystone. That purchase was made in 2001.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 11:06 AM   #20
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Airstream was in a downward spiral when Thor took control in 1980 and turned it around. Thor also owns Jayco, Tiffin, KZ, Heartland, among others. Have they cheapened those brands?
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customer, elkart, industry, service, warranty