Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2023, 09:35 AM   #1
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Level Up System Not Auto-leveling

Hey boys and girls, hope someone out there can help me with a problem. Previous two times I've tried to auto-level, the front jacks come down, and the the driver side jacks come but the curb side jacks only partially came down. Before moving yesterday, I performed the recalibration procedure and as far as I could tell, it was successful. But then on the new site, the front and driver side jacks came down, but the curb side jacks did not move. I could manually lower the curb-side jacks to level the camper. And another piece of the puzzle is that I very recently had to replace the pump motor. But you can replace the motor without opening the hydraulic system. The slides work fine and the jacks work fine manually (front and door side work in auto) so I don't think it has anything to do with the motor replacement.

Thanks in advance

Old 07-29-2023, 11:16 AM   #2
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
I've had mine once in a while not auto level, due to the surface being really uneven, or the computer does not recognize the front jacks are all the way down at the start of the auto leveling process. I just went into manual mode and leveled it that way.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 11:30 AM   #3
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Yes that's what I wound up doing. But this is 3 times in a row now and this site is about as level as it gets. All of the solenoids work in manual, so I don't think the door side solenoids are being energized in auto. Something in the control system is out of wack. Thanks for reply.
Old 07-29-2023, 12:35 PM   #4
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I wonder if there is a way to re-boot the Levelup Control Panel besides disconnecting from battery?
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 12:56 PM   #5
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
I wonder if there is a way to re-boot the Levelup Control Panel besides disconnecting from battery?
I don't know the answer to that, all I've tried to do is calibrate the level point.
Old 08-09-2023, 08:38 PM   #6
pattrese

M.O.C. #26960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldicon View Post
Hey boys and girls, hope someone out there can help me with a problem. Previous two times I've tried to auto-level, the front jacks come down, and the the driver side jacks come but the curb side jacks only partially came down. Before moving yesterday, I performed the recalibration procedure and as far as I could tell, it was successful. But then on the new site, the front and driver side jacks came down, but the curb side jacks did not move. I could manually lower the curb-side jacks to level the camper. And another piece of the puzzle is that I very recently had to replace the pump motor. But you can replace the motor without opening the hydraulic system. The slides work fine and the jacks work fine manually (front and door side work in auto) so I don't think it has anything to do with the motor replacement.

Thanks in advance
Make sure you are not plugged into electric and slides are in. Level up works off the battery.
pattrese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 09:39 PM   #7
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Before hitting the auto level button, raise the front of the trailer with the front landing jacks until the rig is high on the front, then do the auto level process. The rig must be above level for the system to work properly.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 09:43 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Give this idea a try--- go in behind your Lippert/LCI leveling system and you will see what looks like a clip with the wire that you would plug your telephone or back of your computer (I can't think of the exact name for it). Unplug it and let it set for a minute or two, then plug it back in. This should recalibrate the system and then try to Auto Level the unit again. You do need to have all of your slides in to do this. If this does not work give Lippert/LCI Customer Service a call. Explain the situation and they will more than likely walk you through a diagnostic check over the phone that you will do. They then will tell you the problem and how to fix it. I have seen where they have even sent out the correcting part (FREE) to take care of the problem. Lippert/LCI Customer Service or Support is one of the best I have ever worked with.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 06:09 AM   #9
R Bran
Established Member

M.O.C. #31461
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
Before hitting the auto level button, raise the front of the trailer with the front landing jacks until the rig is high on the front, then do the auto level process. The rig must be above level for the system to work properly.
I have a ‘22 and the only thing my system will do is stroke out if I am already high in front. This system has never worked on my coach since day one. I have manually leveled and recalibrated it five times and it still won’t work. I’ve tried literally everything that has been suggested and it still won’t work properly. I have just accepted the fact I will have to manually level it every time I take it off the truck. I think it’s a crapshoot with this system. Some work great and others don’t.
R Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 08:01 AM   #10
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Bran View Post
I have a ‘22 and the only thing my system will do is stroke out if I am already high in front. This system has never worked on my coach since day one. I have manually leveled and recalibrated it five times and it still won’t work. I’ve tried literally everything that has been suggested and it still won’t work properly. I have just accepted the fact I will have to manually level it every time I take it off the truck. I think it’s a crapshoot with this system. Some work great and others don’t.

The system will work. First off if you're receiving out of stroke, your legs have extended as far as they can. You need to put blocks under the legs. I use these. https://www.amazon.com/ANDERSEN-Acce...944448914&th=1

Secondly, download the lippert Now app. It has everything including live support, docs and videos. I struggled with mine at first until I learned how to use it. I've had 2 rigs with it and both worked. Lippert is really good at supporting you in the field. Level your rig side to side as much as you can using blocks under the wheels and then make sure you have enough block under the legs to prevent a stroke out error.
Old 08-10-2023, 08:57 AM   #11
GAinaMontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20747
I strongly second Rondo's post above. I found Lippert CS to be extremely helpful when I was stranded at a campground and could not move due the level system not working. They next day aired the needed part to me at the campground free of charge. They were aware of frequent failures of the keypad and had upgraded them. The key pad may be your problem. If so, easy fix. Good luck.
GAinaMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 10:54 AM   #12
richeyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22661
Lippert Support

Totally agree a call to Lippert Support can be very helpful. Here are my notes from solving a couple of issues..

Turn the power to the system OFF.
Press “Front” five times.
Press “Rear” five times. At this point the panel will read “ZERO POINT CALIBRATION” and all lights (front, right, left, rear) will flash.
Press ENTER to reset the auto level control.

To clear error first ReHome system
On Battery Power only

To clear error — rehome not recalibrate. The RV should be on battery only and we have to extend all the jacks down more than 6 inches then retract them to clear the error.

Recalibrating is if you loose battery. Similar to your car when you have to reset everything after a battery change.

Shore power can drop the battery voltage and then build it up over a 15 mins.

How Do I Manually Level My RV with a Lippert Leveling System?
1. Turn the system on by pressing the ON/OFF button.
2. Push the “UP” arrow ONCE to display “MANUAL MODE”.
3. Push “ENTER” once while the screen reads “MANUAL MODE”.
4. Push the “LEFT” or “RIGHT” arrows to extend either the driver's or passenger's side level-up jacks.
Old 08-10-2023, 11:01 AM   #13
R Bran
Established Member

M.O.C. #31461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
The system will work. First off if you're receiving out of stroke, your legs have extended as far as they can. You need to put blocks under the legs. I use these. https://www.amazon.com/ANDERSEN-Acce...944448914&th=1

Secondly, download the lippert Now app. It has everything including live support, docs and videos. I struggled with mine at first until I learned how to use it. I've had 2 rigs with it and both worked. Lippert is really good at supporting you in the field. Level your rig side to side as much as you can using blocks under the wheels and then make sure you have enough block under the legs to prevent a stroke out error.
Like I said, I have tried everything. I do use blocks and always level side to side before unhitching the truck. Thanks for the input but seriously, mine just won’t work all the time. Maybe three times since I’ve owned it. Also, I do have the Lippert app. When I say it strokes out it does this all on its own. The rig can be nearly level to start and it will literally keep climbing until there isn’t anything left. Once it even gave me an error code the front was too low as it stroked out. I could walk under it the coach was so high. Usually after the third attempt at auto level it gets me close enough that I can manually level. It’s about a half hour process every time. The shop can’t figure out what the issue is and it’s out of warranty so it is what it is.

What I have found works best is when I retract all jacks and then hit the auto level. That gets me the closest to actual level and I can fine tune it after that but sometimes it takes a few tries. I make sure I always keep my level in the truck and I attached levels at the corners.
Old 08-10-2023, 11:17 AM   #14
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
It really, really helps if you have the Year and Model of your Montana in your Signature (or in the Post). This topic is a prefect example. It started with a problem with the 6 point hydraulic system, and then members introduced problems with their 4 point electric system. These are two different animals folks!

Calling Lippert (LCI) even if you are out of warranty doesn't cost anything. They are very good in assisting in problem determination. And R Bran, you definitely have a defective system

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 11:46 AM   #15
R Bran
Established Member

M.O.C. #31461
I agree Carl. I have called them, good people but I just have an expense I don’t want to deal with and manually leveling doesn’t cost me anything but time. Sorry I highjacked the thread, didn’t mean to.
Old 08-10-2023, 12:16 PM   #16
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Bran View Post

You have a High Country 295 model with the 3.0 electric system. This is a totally different level system that has different requirements. PLEASE!!! include make, model, and year in a signature line. This will eliminate guessing about your rig when issues come up.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 01:30 PM   #17
richeyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22661
Please excuse me for offering what I had passed on solving my particular problem. I’ll leave offering advice to the experts!
Old 08-10-2023, 01:35 PM   #18
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
RicheyB - that was good info for a bunch of us! Thanks for posting.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 05:52 PM   #19
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
RicheyB - There was nothing wrong with your posting. That is the process for resetting the level memory on a 4 point electric leveling system. Unfortunately the 6 point hydraulic engineers have a slightly different process for the same thing.That is why it is important to know what model Montana is being referenced.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 09:56 PM   #20
richeyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22661
Carl, my system is a 6 point and the information provided by support worked great for me. I was just hoping others might want to save it for when their stroked out or dealing with a weird set up.