Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Insurance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2018, 06:11 AM   #1
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
Good Sam Roadside Assist - Question

For those of you, that had a tire blowout and had to have the tire replaced on the side of the road, what brand of tire did they bring out?

Old 08-16-2018, 03:26 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Don't use Good Sam, but they and all the others use contract service providers who will only have available what they sell themselves.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:31 PM   #3
wade
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22358
especially if your on the I 495 in Massachusetts. My parents got stranded there for hours in 90 plus degree heat twice once for a tire , they just needed it change and once for a broken spring. The dispatcher for good sam had no clue what to do about the broken spring. They have no service companies in that area. Some random passer by wrecker guy happen to stop to help them luckily, wasn't easy moving a 5er with spring sheared off and the tires locked together.
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:31 PM   #4
mmturtle
Established Member

M.O.C. #19521
last year on the way to Calf. we used good sam 2 times the new tire, that when booth tires on the passenger side blew, was a brand that I had never herd of but was a heavy duty truck tire. the second time I waited 6 hrs. and they never found any one to change the tire on the other side a passer by stopped and changed it for me, I am handicapped and can not do it myself, when my service riuns I will go back to Coach Net service. I know better but totally screwed up when I bought this trailer and did not check the dates on the tires they looked new, they were 2008. ended up replacing all some where in AZ.
jon
jon
mmturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:21 PM   #5
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Greg,

Buy new high quality G rated tires every 3-5 years, use a good TPMS and you will be less likely to have a flat.

You may be lucky to get the right tire depending on where you are. I picked up a nail that left the tire not repairable and used the spare. I had to wait for a mail order replacement as there was not a Sailun replacement in Southern AZ.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:23 AM   #6
mmturtle
Established Member

M.O.C. #19521
Good advice On my SOB I always put new mich. rib tires on every 5 years and never had a tire problem. I thank that is why I forgot to check the tires on this trailer. Right I am waiting to get the trailer into the shop to have a new gray tank installed . crossing my fingers that the extended warranty will pay but the have refused two other times, Refg.,and awing I have tried to cancel the insurance sense the first week I had it.
jon
mmturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:41 PM   #7
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I always carry a spare tire and wheel for the spare tire and wheel. With my 6 pt leveling and cordless impact i can change my tire myself and still have a spare so i can deal with the tire issure when i get home. If you can't do the work yourself then it would be good to at least carry a extra tire so roadside assistance can mount it on your wheel so that you would still have a spare to get home on and not have to pay an arm and leg for some brand of tire you don't like. And yes good G rated tires and TPMS can make for a much less stressful trip.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:04 PM   #8
wade
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
I always carry a spare tire and wheel for the spare tire and wheel. With my 6 pt leveling and cordless impact i can change my tire myself and still have a spare so i can deal with the tire issure when i get home. If you can't do the work yourself then it would be good to at least carry a extra tire so roadside assistance can mount it on your wheel so that you would still have a spare to get home on and not have to pay an arm and leg for some brand of tire you don't like. And yes good G rated tires and TPMS can make for a much less stressful trip.
Just a thought but i hear people doing this, putting the 14 ply tires on lighter campers like 10-12-14 thousand pound campers and using the 4 point leveling jacks to pick the camper up to change a tire or to level a camper( meaning pick the wheels completely off the ground). I would think that would put a lot of stress on the walls and frame. I know just going to a more ply tire would make it ride alot harder , like going from a 6 ply to a 10ply on a pickup sure makes it ride harder
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 02:39 PM   #9
Jcroome
Established Member

M.O.C. #20350
I know this is an old thread, but I got stuck 30 minutes out of Savannah with a blown tire and damage to my RV. After waiting 2 hrs + on GS roadside assist, I got out in a small rain and changed it myself. An hour or so later they called and said they were having trouble getting someone out, but had found someone that could come in an hour or so..... I mean 30 minutes out of Savannah should have had many folks that would come??
Jcroome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:14 PM   #10
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
On my first trip in 2006, I had a thump thump thump thing going on. I wasn't sure if it was truck or trailer. So I stopped and unhitched at an abandoned gas station on I80 in Wyoming. Got about 100 feet on the on ramp and could tell it was a truck tire.

So when we got the trailer, I added Good Sam. I had a pretty new truck that had some sort of GM service. And I also had my State Farm insurance. It was a Saturday afternoon with a big rain storm moving in. I called all 3 and the best anyone could do was get someone to tow me back to Rawlings(I think) and the store didn't open until Monday, so we would have to wait all weekend. I think at this time I didn't know it was the truck only. Anyway, a kid at the fireworks store where I was stopped came out and helped me change the tire on the truck. He had worked at his dad's station in Prescott, AZ I didn't know how to get the tire out of the truck!!!
So we drove from there to Mesa, AZ with no spare!

At least now I know how to get the spare out of the truck! And I check the spares each summer before our big summer trip.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:40 PM   #11
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcroome View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I got stuck 30 minutes out of Savannah with a blown tire and damage to my RV. After waiting 2 hrs + on GS roadside assist, I got out in a small rain and changed it myself. An hour or so later they called and said they were having trouble getting someone out, but had found someone that could come in an hour or so..... I mean 30 minutes out of Savannah should have had many folks that would come??

I don't know about that. How many tire dealers want to send a service truck out to mess with someone towing an RV? I'm sure that trims the numbers. I have 3 or 4 roadside assistance plans but I figure when they call a tire dealer/repair shop they just ask as a 3rd party and there is nothing personal there for the tire shop. They give an estimate of when they can comfortably respond, if at all. I've had that situation and called FOUR of my roadside assistance plans trying to see if one was better than the other....nope. At that time 4 hours was the best anyone could provide. Got out and did it myself, with the help of a younger farm guy that stopped to help. In another situation tried the same thing and they all go through their little list of "approved service providers". We were just left sitting in 100+ degree temps waiting for a call back and I got tired of it and started trying to find anyone. Found a tire shop owned by an individual right at 5pm and he was getting ready to close, not on any roadside assistance list I'm sure, willing to come out as soon as he closed shop.....if I paid the $100 charge. I told him sure, he came out and was a great help and did everything, gave him a $100 bill and we were all smiles. My plan reimbursed me after I drove back to that town to get a receipt. It is what it is.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote