Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2021, 04:53 PM   #1
Gubs
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27658
Mail

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered many time before, but I cannot find it.

We have both now retired and are planning some longer trips and got wondering just how does your mail keep up with you as you travel from place to place? All the bills are on a schedule to be paid each month at a certain time, but what about the other mail you need to read and respond too. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

Larry & Marilyn Gubbels
2019 F-350 Diesel 4X4, Short Bed, BW 18K slider,
closely followed by a 2020 Montana 3121RL
Gubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:36 PM   #2
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We use the PassPort America/GoodSam service out of Crestview FL. If a GS member you get a small discount.
We've been using it for approx 8 years and can get mail shipped to where ever we want.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:41 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We belong to the Escapees so we use their service.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:26 AM   #4
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
1. have someone at your home pick it up and hold it. When you need it just have them send it to your address or 'general delivery' at the post office.
2. do temp. address change to where you will be.
3. do temp address change to a mail service...lots out there; about $200 a year.
4. permanently change address to mail service.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:40 AM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We have used Dakota Post, previously Alternative Resources, out of Sioux Falls SD since 2003 for mail forwarding. Never a problem.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:42 PM   #6
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We have used Americas Mailbox, out of Box Elder, SD since 2012, and have excellent service which includes them renewing our vehicle registrations every year for us. We have the plan where we have them toss out all the junk mail, so we never have to deal with it, plus it also reduces the postage charges when they forward our mail to us. They also have plans for those that don't full time, so you would have your mail forwarded to that address for the duration of your travels and they will accumulate your mail until you give them an address to send it to. We typically have our mail forwarded every two to three weeks to wherever we are.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 04:22 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Speaking of mail. For the first time in over 30 years we have numerous packages setting in post offices all over the country that can’t be delivered. We are having people call every day looking for their package some we send before Christmas. So if you are looking for a package or sending one don’t be surprised if it doesn’t get to its destination on time.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 04:41 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sent cookies to our daughter from New Mexico to Kansas many weeks ago. The tracking has showed it in Connecticut, virginia and Georgia so far. Hasn't shown any indication of wanting to head toward Kansas.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:06 PM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Sent cookies to our daughter from New Mexico to Kansas many weeks ago. The tracking has showed it in Connecticut, virginia and Georgia so far. Hasn't shown any indication of wanting to head toward Kansas.

Yep sounds about like what we are seeing with dozens of packages.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:36 PM   #10
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
OP it depends on the length of the trips and how you have all of your "stuff" in order. I don't get any mail I "need" to read on an immediate basis.

We take trips up to 5 months in length. All our bills are paid electronically and I get email confirmations of those transactions. I subscribe to a service from the USPS where I get notifications and pics of any incoming mail/packages on a daily basis.

We have an arrangement with our carrier to hold our mail from the time we leave until we return. Haven't had an issue in years. I HAVE had multiple issues when I've tried to rent mail boxes, have mail forwarded etc. - it always fails. This works for us.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:02 PM   #11
beekeeper.va
Established Member

M.O.C. #11864
Your Best Address in South Dakota is set up to do just what you want to do. They can also register your vehicles in SD if you are full-timers. No property tax. No vehicle inspections. Look them up on the internet and tell them Chester Myrick sent you. I think I get $10 off my account if you tell them I sent you. :-)

On edit, I need to say that YBA can title and register your vehicles with no need to go to SD.
beekeeper.va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:15 PM   #12
owendell

M.O.C. #18115
www.mailboxforwarding.com They get my mail, scan in the envelope and email me it. I then decide if I want them to open and scan it, forward it to where I am or shred it. I think the cheapest plan is $10 a month but I pay extra to have an address in my home state. They also will receive faxes and deposit checks if needed. If you want a referral code mine is 30162 and will get your first month free.
owendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:40 PM   #13
TDury
Established Member

M.O.C. #21897
I use the USPS service called Informed Delivery. It sends an email daily showing you a picture of your mail.. I then know what bills are coming and simply look and pay online (utilities, credit cars etc.). I forward mail to PO Box for extended trip since they won't hold for more than 30 days. The box is charged monthly but I pay for 6 months and they refund what I don't use. Easy!!

Tom Dury
2017 3820FK - Towed by F350 (RWD)
TDury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:54 PM   #14
JanCouch
Established Member

M.O.C. #24632
I didn’t read all the replies, so it’s possible someone else has covered this.

Our income is direct deposited to our bank. Most companies prefer to use paperless billing, so it shouldn't be an issue to convert that over. Most of my ‘bills’ are sent to my bank account. The bank then pays the bill. This works especially good for those bills that aren’t the same $ each month.

You already addressed the issue for those bills that are the same each month. Mail of a personal nature can be handled with Messenger or email. A good laptop helps here. I have an inexpensive printer that stays in the trailer. If our RV campground doesn’t have internet, I can convert my tablet to a hotspot internet.
JanCouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 11:02 AM   #15
davemitchell59
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23524
As others have said, get as much as you can set up electronically with regard to bills and other expenses.

As for other mail, I think it depends on the nature of your trip. If you're going to be moving around a lot, there are several mail service programs out there that work. But, you'll continually be updating those services as to where to send the next bundle of your mail.

I like the PO Box idea that someone mentioned as long as you're planning to be back home every few months. I would do that in conjunction with the "Informed Delivery" service available through USPS.

Having a trusted neighbor, friend, or family member is, in my opinion, a better alternative to a PO Box. They might hold your mail indefinitely, but, with "Informed Delivery" you are able to tell them to forward something important.

We simply forward our mail temporarily if we're going to be in one spot for our trip. e.g. We forward it to the campground in AZ that we spend 6-8 weeks at in the winter. We forward it to my brother's house when we spend the summer in MN, including the time that we might be exploring before we arrive in MN for an extended period of time. We forward it up until two weeks before we leave the area and then put a mail hold on knowing we'll be home within the USPS 30 day limit on mail holds.

We also have a good relationship with our mail carrier. She'll hold it beyond the 30 days if our trip changes and we can't get home before the mail hold ends.

Lots of options. You just have to figure out what works best for your situation and any particular trip.
2017 Montana 3731FL
davemitchell59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:04 AM   #16
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
We used USPS mail forwarding our first year of snowbirding. They lost 2/3 of our mail.

Now we have our mail delivered to my SIL who lives only a block away. She looks it over and deposits 90% in the trash. Anything else that looks important she informs me of in an email. Since we pay virtually all our bills online this leaves maybe 3 or 4 items each winter that she actually forwards to us. The rest she just holds till we return in the spring.

Direct deposit and paperless billing is a wonderful thing.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote