Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2021, 11:37 AM   #1
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Transferring fresh water when dry camping

I’ve been transferring fresh water into our fresh tank while dry camping from 6 gallon water jugs using the onboard pump but it takes about 5 minutes for each jug. I set the Nautilus valves for filling the fresh tank with the internal pump. I’ve also tried using an external pony pump setting the Nautilus for city water. The pony pump providing the pressure. I’d like to use an external pump to speed things up and wondered what others are using. The on board pump is the SHURFLO 4008-101-A65 3.0 GPM Revolution RV Water Pump. There seems to be quite a resistance to my pony pump that I’ve tried and wondered if something like a 5.5gpm 60psi RV pump used externally would be a good way to go.

drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 12:26 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I use one of these to add water to our rig. https://www.harborfreight.com/search...20water%20pump
We have a gravity fill outside but also have used it using the water valve in the convenience center turned to fill. I have a 45 gallon bladder, and along with the pump and hoses, can fill the fresh tank.
https://www.campingworld.com/portabl...llon-1605.html
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 12:36 PM   #3
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
I use one of these to add water to our rig. https://www.harborfreight.com/search...20water%20pump
We have a gravity fill outside but also have used it using the water valve in the convenience center turned to fill. I have a 45 gallon bladder, and along with the pump and hoses, can fill the fresh tank.
https://www.campingworld.com/portabl...llon-1605.html

Thanks rohrmann. We have a 45 gallon bladder as well but unfortunately no gravity fill on this trailer. I have one of those pumps and it worked great on our previous trailer that had a gravity fill inlet but the nautilus on this trailer seems to slow the flow down quite a bit.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:12 PM   #4
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
I have this one. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works great transferring water from an external tank or bladder. I connect it to the city water connection, set the fresh water valve to fill and watch it go. I used it on several different trailers a couple months ago; worked every time.

Buy a spare impeller kit to go with whatever pump you buy; they don't last forever. https://smile.amazon.com/Wayne-66059...V1VRQ7B0A2ECM3

PS: You can use your water tank vent just like the old gravity fill ports. Just pop off the cover, pull out the screen and stick a hose in it. But filling through the city water connection is easier and just as fast.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 01:46 PM   #5
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Thanks scottz. I have a pump like that and have replaced the rubber impeller. Was thinking about using the fresh tank overflow. On our trailer, it's a pex tube sticking out from the underbelly. Maybe I'll try that.
Old 04-27-2021, 02:43 PM   #6
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmart View Post
Thanks scottz. I have a pump like that and have replaced the rubber impeller. Was thinking about using the fresh tank overflow. On our trailer, it's a pex tube sticking out from the underbelly. Maybe I'll try that.
No, that tube sticking out from the underbelly is the drain (at least on my trailer). The vent (overflow) is on the side of your trailer, near the water tank. First photo is with vent cover on, second is with vent cover off. Spread the sides of the cover a little and it will slide off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water tank vent 3 -2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	9041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Water tank vent 2 -2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	9042  
Old 04-27-2021, 03:24 PM   #7
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
No, that tube sticking out from the underbelly is the drain (at least on my trailer). The vent (overflow) is on the side of your trailer, near the water tank. First photo is with vent cover on, second is with vent cover off. Spread the sides of the cover a little and it will slide off.
Agree with Scott, the Pex is a drain line

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 03:28 PM   #8
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
We don't have an accessible vent with a cover.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:42 PM   #9
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
We don't have an accessible vent with a cover.
Interesting. It has to be vented somewhere; maybe they are not brining the vent out the sidewall anymore; just venting them inside. What year is your unit? Can you add this info to your signature?

You should still be able to fill it through the city water connection.

Besides a submarine, what is a Nautilus?
Old 04-27-2021, 03:49 PM   #10
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
It appears the Nautilus system is something new; not familiar with it, but that is nice. Watching this video, it looks like you can use your on-board pump to fill the fresh water tank from a container; listen to the part starting at 2:50. Is this what you have?
Old 04-27-2021, 04:43 PM   #11
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Hi scottz. Thanks for the link. Yes I have that system. Problem is using the on-board pump takes about 5 minutes to transfer about 6 gallons of water. The on-board pump is rated at 3 gpm at 55 psi. If an external RV pump rated to move 5.5 gpm at 60psi is used, it could help, especially if transferring from a 45 gallon water bladder.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:01 PM   #12
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Hi scottz. Thanks for the link. Yes I have that system. Problem is using the on-board pump takes about 5 minutes to transfer about 6 gallons of water. The on-board pump is rated at 3 gpm at 55 psi. If an external RV pump rated to move 5.5 gpm at 60psi is used, it could help, especially if transferring from a 45 gallon water bladder.
I would try configuring for "Power Fill Tank" and connecting your external pump/container to the city water connection. See how that works.

The time does not sound terrible. I estimate it takes 10-15 minutes to transfer about 20 gal with my system.

I'm in uncharted territory with Nautilus system.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:46 PM   #13
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835

35 gallon water tank from TSC (Tractor Supply Company.

120 v. AC water transfer pump from Lowes (about $100 for the pump now).

When I don't have AC electricity to power the pump, I can plug it into the 400 watt inverter I keep in the truck.

These photos are with my Keystone Outback travel trailer. I use the same equipment for my Montana. The only difference is, the Montana is not a gravity fill. I attach the garden hose to the "fill" connection and fill the fresh water thank, just like a hose connected to shore water.

The tank is 35 gallons, so if my fresh water is empty, I usually have to make 2 trips to fill the fresh water completely.

It works for me. The 35 gallon fresh water tank, the water transfer pump, and the hoses stay in the camper all the time. It's never left home.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:14 PM   #14
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Thanks DutchmenSport. I do have a 45 gallon water bladder, but your pump to the Montana fill connection is what I want to do. That pump looks like a good size, but not too big that it would blow out the Rv plumbing.