Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2021, 01:50 PM   #1
Andy Smith
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25951
progressive industries ems-pt50x question

Hi folks! I'm trying to chase down an issue as to why our power went out earlier, and it could definitely have just been a power outage due to weather, campground, etc, but was wondering if anyone has any better resources on the readouts on the progressive industries ems-pt50x unit. Our AC power went out today, and I flipped all the breakers inside and on pedesttal, no change. 12v system was fine, but nothing AC inside was working. I looked at the pedestal where we were plugged into the EMS/surge protector and the lights were on with no fault codes, but also indicating 0A (which I read as 0 amps), and weird voltage readings (124 and 7). Will the EMS still read and display lights if there's low/no power (I don't understand how no power would have any display), and any thoughts as to what happened? Did it just kill the power because of a low line2? Is the 0A the current amp draw of my AC appliances? It came back on after about 4 minutes on its own, and no error codes on the EMS. Some other campers definitely still had power, but no idea on how many, as it was midday and not a lot of people were home. The charge wizard kicked in to 14.6 v for a half hour or so before dropping back down to trickle charge. Any insights are welcome, thank you!

Old 09-22-2021, 02:15 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The amp reading it shows is what the draw is on that side and the voltage reading is also showing the voltage per side. Your 50 amp plug actually has two 50 amp sides to it and the two readings you get from the display is for each 50 amp side. if your first reading was 124 and your second was 7 then you had 124 volts to one side and only 7 on the other. To prevent damage to your appliances the EMS would have cut power to your rig until at least 2 1/2 minutes after normal power was restored. Other campers that didn't have their power cut would have been running the motors on one 50 amp circuit at almost no power and some damage would have occured and how much would depend on how long the power was low for and how low. When your shore power was cut, your 12v then had to run off the batteries and then when 110 was restored to the converter it was busy putting it back in the batteries.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:22 PM   #3
Andy Smith
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25951
Thanks Dick! That I think clears it up for me. Appreciate the explanation. The manual was pretty basic. The plugs all looked good, no heat evident anywhere. Just wasn't totally sure what I was reading on the EMS. I didn't realize it had an AC protection where it would wait that period of time before allowing power to the coach. Many thanks for your answer!
Old 09-22-2021, 02:46 PM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Here is a link to download the Operating Manual for your Progressive EMS. Click here. Print a copy of it, the list of error codes are priceless when something happens.

What you see flashing on the read out on yours is this:

L-1
3A

L-2
1A
60H
E0

L-1 and L-2 are each leg of the 50 amp service.
The 124 and 123 is the current IN-coming volts
The 3A and the 0A are the actual amps the camper is actually using.
60H which appears after the second read out (L-2), is the Hertz. 60 is correct.
The last readout is E0. That is your error codes.

Going back to the 3A and the 0A. Those numbers are the actual Amp draw your camper is currently using on each leg. It's possible for L-1 to be 15A and L-2 to be zero. Or they could be 29 and 15, or 17 and 40, or 49 and 49. That is the read out for the actual AMP usage inside your camper.

If the read out is 0 and 0, that means absolutely nothing is your camper is using any power, or the power at the EMS is turned off to the camper.

Yes, if there is a power problem, the EMS will shut down the camper. Even a momentary change in power will cause the EMS to shut down the camper. When that happens, the EMS will still continue with the read-out displays but the camper will still be shut down. After 136 seconds (2 minutes and 16 seconds), the EMS will kick back on, releasing power to the camper, provided the power is properly restored at the campground pedestal (shore power source). The 136 delay is intentional to prevent power kicking back on and off again and on again in rapid succession, causing extreme damage on the air conditioners.

Download that user manual, there's a lot of good information in it and hopefully will resolve some questions you have.

But it sounds like, the EMS did exactly what it was designed to do. It protected your camper from a sudden change in the electricity, preventing your electronics from being damaged.

**** From the manual ****

E 0 = Normal Operating Condition
E 1 = Reverse Polarity (hot and neutral wires reversed)
E 2 = Open Ground (no ground wire connection)
E 3 = Line 1 High Voltage (line 1 voltage above 132V)
E 4 = Line 1 Low Voltage (line 1 voltage below 104V)
E 5*= Line 2 Voltage High (line 2 voltage above 132V)
E 6*= Line 2 Voltage Low (line 2 voltage below 104V)
* Codes only apply to EMS-PT50X models
You should report an E 1, E 2, E 3, E 4, E 5 or E 6 Error Code directly to the Campground
Management. Our Tech Support Team will not be able to assist you if you receive one
of these Error Codes.
E 7 = Line Frequency High (line frequency above 69 Hz)
E 8 = Line Frequency Low (line frequency below 51 Hz)
E 9 = Data Link Down (does not apply to EMS-PT models)
E 10 = Replace Surge Protector Module (call technical support)
Contact Progressive Industries Tech Support for an E 7, E 8, E 9 or E 10 Error Code.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote