Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2021, 08:14 PM   #1
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Solar Update

When we first got our Super Solar 3230RL, we didn’t know what to expect. Could we really go all day without running the generator. Even if we were running the furnace all night, microwave, television, brewing coffee, etc. And, quite frankly, we expected a few early issues that indeed cropped up.

Well, after working with Matt, AirExcel and Keystone at rally, we upgraded our Solar system significantly. As Mike Wilson guided us on the forum with his great explanations, went about updating our Super Solar. First, I had a Progressive Transfer Switch failure. It would not latch and allow charging. The purpose of that transfer switch was strictly the EMS. I had three options available - wire around the transfer switch function, upgrade to the Southwire or add a better EMS. On our dime, we upgraded to the Hughes 50 amp Watchdog EPO hardwired with Bluetooth. The first two were no charge options. I am really happy with my choice.

Next, the Jaboni 30 amp solar charge controllers were replaced with 50 amp Victron charge controllers. One of our first failures was a Jaboni controller. It would only go to standby. These new charge controllers are linked to VictronConnect. We are able to monitor the solar by phone. Today was our first opportunity to really test the system. We yielded 2.32 kWh today. Again, we had a great experience with getting the results we were hoping to achieve.

Last, again thanks to Mike, we addressed the load shedding issue. Our AC’s had the 756 controller instead of the 755. They tricked the system to shed the AC into shedding, but it would not turn back on. AirExcel changed out our 756 controller for the 755’s and the wiring was changed to allow the AC to turn back on after two minutes.

Overall, we are very happy with the system and will be giving it a nice test over the next four days, followed by some winter Boondocking this January. It is really nice to visit friends and not worry about getting out any cords. Also, our SeeLevel Gages allow us to know where our tanks are. And, thanks to Arkaware, we have a very quiet water pump.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 09:16 PM   #2
hemiallen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28242
Thanks for the update.

Sorry to hear you had to upgrade, but the Bulldog is what I intended to swap if we didn't get the Southwire upgrade that came with our 3120.

I assume the 755 vs 756 issue is due to the Supersolar and it's ability to use your batteries to run the A/c. We won't need A/c unless we have shore power, but would be good to know if the 755 is needed for shore power operations.

Any details on the Arkaware pump? I hadn't hear of that, I think flowjet is what many suggest. So far I am used to having a noisy pump, so I can tell if I left the switch on when it cycles, lol, but am keeping the option list for when I decide quiet is nicer.

Thanks

Allen

BTW, a friend / musician just played at Monica's last night, Mondo moved from up here to Idaho but still comes back to Livermore, Brentwood and Lodi to play.
Old 10-01-2021, 07:02 AM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Allen, we are very happy with the unit. The only reason that Southwire transfer switch is in there on ours is the EMS. Our very first trip we ran batteries to zero because transfer switch showed shore power but it hadn’t latched so charger wasn’t charging. At the time I was brand new and missed some clues. Fast forward to this week. With the Watchdog I saw I didn’t have power via Bluetooth app. Found the issue and corrected. We are running AC with a single 20 amp cord. Loving being able to track shore power and solar with iPhone. We went four days boondocking completely off grid and we achieved high 90% charge rate each day. We were hoping to avoid running the generator for days at a time, which we achieved. Fridge and water heater on gas but we used microwave, tv, fans, and furnace. Other than AC, we are able to live a normal RV life without power as long as we have sunshine.

None of these issues were unexpected. This is new RV technology and they have great people working on improving it. We are very happy with the results. The 755 is used for load shedding. If we have both AC’s running on 30 amp and the microwave pushes us over on draw, it has a set order to shed loads and restart. With the 756, it would shed AC but not restart it. Now it does restart after 2 minutes.

As for the pump, we used the SeaFlow 42 Series pump, SureFlo accumulator and the ShurFlo Silencing kit. This was mounted to a board and the whole assembly was attached to a stud with self tapping screws. Hope this helps.

BTW/ Livermore, Colorado, not CA.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 10:50 AM   #4
Arkware
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17723
Allen,
here in my post of the water pump upgrade: