Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2021, 04:48 PM   #1
glb1950
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29808
Gas oven

Well, we've had our trailer for about a week now, the oven WAS working but now it won't light the pilot light. Top burners work, not the oven. When you turn the oven knob on, shouldn't you smell gas? Got nothing, no smell and no flame. I've searched the internet and it sorta sounds like the thermocouple. Just wondering, if it is the thermocouple, does that mean the gas would be shut off in the oven, hence no smell?
Thanks
Greg

Welp, never mind, just went and tried it again and it's working fine now. Go figure.

glb1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 05:01 PM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Greg - click on User CP upper left of this screen and add info about your RV (year, model) to your signature. That will provide info to the smart folks here as to what kind of stove your unit might have and offer pertinent advice.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 06:31 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
With gas ovens, if yours has the electric spark, or if you need to actually use a match or a fire lighter of some sort, you have to put the oven knob on it's pilot setting and push the knob in and hold it in for a few moments before igniting the fire (either the spark, or the flame). Then once the pilot starts you need to continue pushing the knob in and hold it there for a few more seconds.

This warms up the thermocouple. Then you can let go of the knob and turn it to light the oven burner.

If yours does not have the electric spark, it's usually a 2 person job, because reaching inside the oven with a lighter and holding the oven know pushed in on the pilot setting takes some pretty good contortionism if doing it alone.

Mine has the electric spark, and I can see the reflection in the bottom panel when it sparks, and then when it lights, and if it goes out if I let go of the knob too soon.

You should NOT smell gas. If enough gas escapes the pilot that you can actually smell it, your oven will explode if it ignites.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 06:49 AM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Another word about gas ovens. The temperature settings on the knob is absolutely meaningless. They are NOT in sync with what the actual temperature is in the oven. The marking on the knob are OK once you figure it out that 350 on the knob is actually 450 in the oven. And 450 on the knob is actually about 600.

Before you depend on your oven, get an oven thermometer and place it in the oven and get actual temperatures inside the oven at the different marking on the knob. Start low, and increase the temperature one tick mark at a time. Give the oven time to reach it's full temperature, check the thermometer and record the actual temperature. If you don't do this, you will have a "forever war" with your oven and probably quit using it out of frustration because everything is getting burned on the bottom and raw on the top.

Next, RV ovens do not put out a consistent heat inside the oven itself. What I mean by that is, the bottom of the oven is hotter than the top, and the left side might be hotter than the right, and all 4 sides might be different.

What that means is, you simply cannot shove anything in the oven, turn it on and forget it for 30 minutes while things bake. If you do, you've have one part of your cake over cooked and burned, another part still gooey batter, and a tiny small part actually done.

In order to get around this, you have to rotate your item several times when baking AND use a lower temperature than what the recipe actually calls for. For example: If you lower the temperature by about 25 degrees and rotate that bread dough about 3 times in that 30 minute period, you'll need to extend the cooking time about 45 minutes. But the end result will be a perfect loaf of bread.

Some folks have figured out a work around for this by placing a pizza stone in the bottom of their oven. I don't know how I could do this, because if I added a pizza stone to the oven, there wouldn't be room for anything else. So, I'm not sure how this is done. But those who do, swear it's the answer to the uneven temperature problem in RV ovens.

Still, even with a pizza stone, the marking on the knob will not be in sync with the actual temperature inside the oven. You'll still need to go through this exercise with a pizza stone or without.

Still, one more thing: Start using your oven by backing biscuits and then only 1 or 2 at at time. You WILL burn up the first few batches. Biscuits are cheap, a $45 chunk of roast is not!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 10:06 AM   #5
glb1950
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29808
Thanks Dutchman, apparently, cooking on an RV range is not unlike cooking in a pellet pooper or a Kamado. both of which I have not completely mastered. Although after 4 years on my Kamados, I am getting better at that. Considering I cook on it 4-5 times a week you would think I'd be better??? Everything about this beast is a learning curve for sure. Thanks again for your response.

Greg
Old 02-27-2022, 11:26 AM   #6
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
Make sure gas is coming through have you turned on all the burners? If not do that first make sure the lines have all the air out
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 09:35 PM   #7
BUBBA-NONNIE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19549
We have never used our propane oven. Recently my wife opened the door and there was a grayish brown powder in the oven. I want to make sure to note that the powder was not black. Does anyone had this experience or have any ideas?