Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2021, 04:12 PM   #1
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Backlog on vehicle repairs

Had to have truck towed to large Chevy dealership near me. Several problems after month long trip to reset stabilitrak/traction control after car pulled out in front to me and stopped/low coolant. Truck would not start and probably starter. Airbag recall and they have that part. Luckily, made it back home before it would not start. Yes, went thru all checks to see if battery or other problems, etc. Service department said could take 10 to 14 weeks because of backlog on repairs, etc. AAA tow truck driver said this is a common problem currently at repair places/dealerships. This is about the backlog not how to fix the problems. Anyone else have similar issues with backlogs?
Thanks,

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:03 PM   #2
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
We bought a waterfall kit for backyard landscaping. It was missing a critical part. Inside the kit was a note stating to call this phone number and the part will be shipped when available due to a backlog. Other items we are trying to buy are delayed due to labor shortages. We learned that when buying an item that comes from California, buy it from somewhere else. We generally do that anyway but it is even worse now.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:13 PM   #3
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
Yes. 2021 F350 srw diesel recall for the rear axle/spring seat welds. I took it in early September for inspection after a 3 week wait for the appointment, axle was deemed ok so it just needed to be welded. I was told to come and get it and they would call me when the parts (one time use on the u-bolts) came in. I don’t know why they didn’t order them up front but....anyway, got the call last week that the parts are in, it goes back on Oct. 25th. If it had failed inspection, it would have needed a new axle. Currently not available.
All said and done it will be 2 months to get a half day job done.
MandK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:14 AM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Yes, auto repair shops are experiencing back-logs now, all over the country.

We had the brakes go out on the trailer when we were several hundred miles from home. I limped the trailer to our destination when I figured out the problem was not the brakes of the trailer, but something with the Integrated Brake Controller system in the truck. (I actually was relieved over that).

But, in order to get an appointment (we were in Northern Michigan), they couldn't get us in until the following week. By then, we would have been completely out of that area. Unfortunately, that dealership was not very helpful. They wouldn't even take a moment to confirm my brake problem was indeed the truck and not the trailer. I asked them what we should do, and the service guy simply shrugged his shoulders saying, "I don't know, it's your problem". My wife was furious.

We left, but after talking to my wife, I went back inside and asked them where the next closest GM dealership was. It was about 60 miles from our present location, about 40 miles from our campsite. At least he was decent enough to give the information.... but ONLY after I asked for it. He made no offers for an alternative, a different repair shop, or nothing. But he did offer up the phone number for the next GM dealership.... but only after I asked.

We called them and they could not get us in until Thursday (This was Monday). I made an 8:00 am appointment and we were there at 8:00 am on Thursday.

The DID have the part, it took about an hour to fix and we were on our way. But they were also backlogged with repairs 4 days out.

We have another Chevy pick-up that had an issue also. We contacted our purchasing GM dealership who also does ALL of my repairs on all my vehicles, for the last 30 years. They could not get us in for about 4 weeks out. We called the dealership in the next town over, and they got us in a week later. Got us fixed up and all is well.

So yes. There is a horrible back-log. Not just with parts, but with actual repair appointments too.

We are currently waiting to get our Montana in to our local RV dealership for a slide cable fix. It broke when we were in Michigan. My wife made the appointment the same day the cable broke. The appointment was set for 6 weeks out, and they said, they'd probably have the camper on their lot for 2 week, depending on their work load. So, the second week in November we take the trailer in. (FYI, slide still works, but we are home now, no plans traveling again until Januray.)

Back log? Absolutely Yes.

We are living in a new era for sure! Maybe with all the crazy stuff that's happened over the last year and a half around the world, we are all learning how to down-scale our life styles and get back to basics. -- Family, Friends, self-independence!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:34 AM   #5
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I have a silverado. While traveling thru the midwest, I decided to get an oil change. I checked with the closest dealer in Davenport, Ia. They couldn't get me in for 4-7 days (I forget which). I called a smaller dealer about 15 miles the other direction from davenport and they got me in the next day. Even simple things are backlogged.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:11 AM   #6
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Originally Posted by navybanker View Post
Had to have truck towed to large Chevy dealership near me. Several problems after month long trip to reset stabilitrak/traction control after car pulled out in front to me and stopped/low coolant. Truck would not start and probably starter. Airbag recall and they have that part. Luckily, made it back home before it would not start. Yes, went thru all checks to see if battery or other problems, etc. Service department said could take 10 to 14 weeks because of backlog on repairs, etc. AAA tow truck driver said this is a common problem currently at repair places/dealerships. This is about the backlog not how to fix the problems. Anyone else have similar issues with backlogs?
Thanks,

On your particular problem, my brother's 2018 Duramax threw a stabiltrack code on the dash, the truck ran horribly rough and that was it........ended up needing the entire ECU replaced. His also had the low coolant issue (5) times, the first time starting at mile 435. His is now being replaced under the lemon-law. Hope you get yours repaired as quick as possible.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 01:29 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I had a GM repair man come to our shop and was taking to him. He worked for GM not a dealer. His job was to fix what the dealers couldn’t, mostly electric problems. He said sometimes they had a problem that couldn’t be fixed. He said it happened quite often. They bought the vehicle back.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 02:44 PM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Can’t build new ones and can’t repair used ones. And hard to buy new or used either.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 03:11 PM   #9
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Why has this happened? New Truck are hard to find. Thank God I found a new 2021 SLT 2500HD, which when hooked to the 3762BP, within weight capacity. However, decided we would move back to a 2022 Denali 3500 DRW's. Finally found what we wanted.

We are in sad shape for sure. I've owned many new Trucks never ever had an issue, and never ever paid MSRP. Many dealerships are adding $5,000+ over the MSRP. I had located a 2021 Chevy 3500HD DRW's however I refused to pay over MSRP, we had bought new truck and new car there within the last year. I will never buy there again. I have been waiting over 2 months for a Transfer tank tool box combo. It is suppose to be in transit.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 06:08 PM   #10
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Oil Change at Hewlett-Packard Chevrolet Georgetown TX

If you are in Austin or Georgetown area north of Austin…Hewlett Chevrolet has a Quick Oil Change facility that is really nice and fast…always first come first serve…very comfortable waiting room and they gitter done! Bought my last 3 trucks from them and the I use the oil change facility for all of my oil changes and routine stuff.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:08 AM   #11
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaine and Lindy View Post
...Many dealerships are adding $5,000+ over the MSRP. ...
We have a 3 year old Chevy Colorado (a small truck) that is really in mint condition. Our purchasing dealership recently sent us an email offering to buy it back .... FOR MORE THAN WE PAID FOR IT NEW!

No way are we taking them up on their offer. If we traded it, who knows what the price would be on a current new one now! Besides, ours is paid for. We're keeping it!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:26 AM   #12
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Now you receive more for a used one and pay more for a new one.
Used to be you receive less for a used one and pay less for a new one.
Six of one, half dozen of the other. Ultimately the difference is probably fairly small.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 01:40 PM   #13
Sdgood1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23720
F250

Oil separator problem (yes that one) This is on a recall, they have NO IDEA about when the parts are going to be available????? Luckily, truck runs fine, and no trips planned for awhile!!

Steven & Denise
New to us 2014 3150RL
Chino Valley, AZ
Sdgood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 01:51 PM   #14
hosssmith
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14197
Quote:
Originally Posted by navybanker View Post
Thanks,
This is not RV related but something we all need to be thinking about.
I am in the trucking business and tires are becoming an issue. I just bought tires for future use because I'm afraid I won't be able to get them in a few months when I need them. I paid double what I paid for tires a few months ago. We are having to look much harder to find parts and the prices on parts are increasing rapidly.

We fuel on our yard and I buy fuel in truck load quantities. Diesel is going right on up as you see at fuel stations on the road. Our propane supplier advised us to fill our tanks because he is concerned about getting propane during the winter months.

I'm not hoarding tires or parts but I know I can't operate without them and ordering and purchasing ahead has become the order of the day in the center of Texas.

In short if you think you may need something in a few months you might want to consider making the purchase now if you can find it.
hosssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 03:40 PM   #15
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by hosssmith View Post
This is not RV related but something we all need to be thinking about.
I am in the trucking business and tires are becoming an issue. I just bought tires for future use because I'm afraid I won't be able to get them in a few months when I need them. I paid double what I paid for tires a few months ago. We are having to look much harder to find parts and the prices on parts are increasing rapidly.

We fuel on our yard and I buy fuel in truck load quantities. Diesel is going right on up as you see at fuel stations on the road. Our propane supplier advised us to fill our tanks because he is concerned about getting propane during the winter months.

I'm not hoarding tires or parts but I know I can't operate without them and ordering and purchasing ahead has become the order of the day in the center of Texas.

In short if you think you may need something in a few months you might want to consider making the purchase now if you can find it.
And the real reason this is happening is.....?
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:30 PM   #16
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Stuff like this is how I will end up buying Boar wheels and tires… can’t be all bad.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:11 AM   #17
c2itcliff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21599
Our F450 at Ford dealership. Some parts in short supply, available for emergencies.
c2itcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 09:52 AM   #18
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Truck fixed in three weeks! Whoa, celebrating for three weeks turnaround??

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 07:57 PM   #19
jjwhite368
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27830
Its not just TVs, my Montana is sitting at a dealer waiting for AirXcel (Coleman Mach) to ship a replacement for our front a/c. Going on 4 weeks now.
jjwhite368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 05:43 PM   #20
jjwhite368
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27830
I was notified this afternoon that the a/c arrived today and that my 2021 3121RL will be ready at noon tomorrow, 15 weeks.
jjwhite368 is offline   Reply With Quote