Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2021, 02:07 PM   #21
Gaetan
Established Member

M.O.C. #27325
Sorry to hear that. The pictures seemed to show that only the lining got ripped. If more than that then I agree it is major. Went through this with Cougar FW and had to change fender and skirts. Wish they would put reak still fender under there to protect the rv

Old 11-21-2021, 02:19 PM   #22
TomCat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22648
Yeah, I only posted pics of the tire, not all the damage. Thanks for the replies!
Old 11-21-2021, 03:02 PM   #23
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Brought home a 2022 3855 BR. Tires made in China, have not checked the date yet.
Old 11-21-2021, 03:23 PM   #24
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCat View Post
I put 4 Sailun 637 tires on my rig a year ago. At the time, I had read a ton of good things about this tire on this forum and others. However, I was a little confused when my tires were stamped “Made in Viet Nam”, as I thought Sailuns were made in China. Oh, well, no big deal. Over time, I started to see on this form and others that there have been a number of Sailun failures. Over time, it became apparent that the failures were on tires made in Viet Nam. I watched with interest, but I have been skeptical, as you tend to get anecdotal “evidence” on online forums, where a tiny fraction of owners actually post their experiences. Certainly, of the many tires sold this can’t be representative of the average owner experience.

Well, we pulled into our overnight stop last night and, long story short, we noticed some damage around the passenger side front tire. Upon closer inspection, I saw that the tread on that tire was completely gone. The tire never lost air, but the tread was completely gone. And, there was considerable damage where apparently the loose tread flapped around before completely separating. Sailun 637 made in Viet Nam. I think I can get the tire replaced under warranty, but the damage it did is considerable and will cost much more than the tire to fix. I’m now a believer.
A very few have reported problems, one fellow has reported the same failure several times inflating the numbers. Of the 10's of thousands of RV's with these tires, a half dozen failures is gold star performance. ALSO, in at least two cases, it was evident from the supplied pictures that the tread separation was caused by a pothole. Personally I am glad to hear the tire didn't lose air suddenly resulting in a potential wreck and loss of life. Present your case to Sailun, I have no idea what their position is on secondary damage which can easily exceed the tire cost. I am in the process of building WiFi cameras to place under my rig to keep an eye on things as I travel, now I may build a couple more just to watch the tires. I knew that pos android tablet would come in handy some day.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
Old 11-21-2021, 04:48 PM   #25
bigdawgfinley
Established Member

M.O.C. #22520
Ditto here

We had the exact same failure in September. I contacted Sailun and they told me to work it out with dealer. Dealer was skeptical that it would be covered under warranty and I’ve yet to here back. I posted pictures of my failure back then and it looks identical to your failure. I have since gotten rid of the Sailuns. I was lucky in that I think the tread came off in a ring and there was no damage. But I have reinforced the rear hydraulic lines with shielding just for insurance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	052733CA-D79A-4AC2-B0B9-4A7E7B3852DA.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	263.2 KB
ID:	10619  
Old 11-21-2021, 04:58 PM   #26
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
I got a new set of Sailuns in from Simple Tire the day before we returned to Mexico. Viet Nam. Hope they wear well…..
I will get them mounted when we return in April.

BB
Old 11-21-2021, 06:17 PM   #27
Barefoot Bill
Established Member

M.O.C. #22623
Let me add another Sailun anecdote
. Spring of 2019 we went to Elkhart and had Moryde IS and disk brakes insralled along with new wheels and Sailun tires installed. Then took trip Denver, Idaho, and up the Alaska highway, around Alaska, and back via NW Territory, Manitoba, and Michigan. Back to Moryde for realignment because one of the tires was badly warn on the outer edge. Moryde didn't charge for the realignment and I repaced the worn tire with the Sailun spare and worn tire as spare.

Traveled to Massachusetts and then to Austin Texas for the Winter. In the spring, we were driving to Fort Worth when the almost unused tire disintegrated causing significant damage. With the worn spare on drove to nearby tire store and bought load class E tires (H not available). No problems since

BTW, not a fan of IS. for someone who doesn't do his own work. AAA and mobile RV usually have problems jacking them. I now have a 12 ton hydraulic jack and hope that will work when needed.
Old 11-22-2021, 05:58 PM   #28
Trout30
Established Member

M.O.C. #28508
Hey Tomcat, I went with G114 H rated 16 ply on custom 17.5 rims. Almost 20,000 lb rated with the four tires. Had several tire blowout issues with my old 40' Alpine fiver original tires. The G114's were so good with zero issues and absolutely no weigh worries on the Alpine I switched them over to my new Monty. The old Alpine got the new Saluins and wheels that came with the Monty which the new owner appreciated. The G114's are about 4 years old now. I plan on replacing them in 2 years. They show very little to no wear after 25,000 miles. I hope your G614's give you the same service.
2021 Montana Legacy, 3781RL, Cobalt FBP, Cottage Kitchen, CareFree SOK III toppers, Onan 5.5KW Gen, Solar 300W, 2000W Magnum inverter, Goodyear 17.5" G114's, 2-100 amp Battle Born Batteries, Waste Master w/storage box, Frizz Life water filters, Hughes WatchDog.
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali, 4x4, DuraMax, CC, SRW, SB, PullRite Slider, Truck USA Roll top.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:05 PM   #29
Trout30
Established Member

M.O.C. #28508
Barefoot Bill, any other issues besides jacking problems with the IS?
2021 Montana Legacy, 3781RL, Cobalt FBP, Cottage Kitchen, CareFree SOK III toppers, Onan 5.5KW Gen, Solar 300W, 2000W Magnum inverter, Goodyear 17.5" G114's, 2-100 amp Battle Born Batteries, Waste Master w/storage box, Frizz Life water filters, Hughes WatchDog.
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali, 4x4, DuraMax, CC, SRW, SB, PullRite Slider, Truck USA Roll top.
Old 11-26-2021, 07:08 AM   #30
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout30 View Post
Hey Tomcat, I went with G114 H rated 16 ply on custom 17.5 rims. Almost 20,000 lb rated with the four tires. Had several tire blowout issues with my old 40' Alpine fiver original tires. The G114's were so good with zero issues and absolutely no weigh worries on the Alpine I switched them over to my new Monty. The old Alpine got the new Saluins and wheels that came with the Monty which the new owner appreciated. The G114's are about 4 years old now. I plan on replacing them in 2 years. They show very little to no wear after 25,000 miles. I hope your G614's give you the same service.
I ran G114 H 16 ply on our Mobile Suites, a very heavy unit, much heavier than our Montana, never ever had any issues with Goodyear G614's or the G114's.

Happy trails.
Old 11-26-2021, 07:10 AM   #31
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
When we removed the Sailuns, the weight of the Sailuns was much heavier. The Goodyear rubber felt much better even to the touch. I just feel much better riding on Goodyear, plus the fact, they are American made. Means a lot to me.

Happy trails.
Old 11-26-2021, 07:30 AM   #32
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Looks like Sailun is making tires in both countries. The Sailuns on my 2022 Montana were made in China dated 24/21.
It's hard for some old timers to trust Goodyear. Their fiasco with the Marathon tires and the G614 that has been 2nd best at twice the price. Maybe the switch to Nam is a mistake~~ I buy nothing from there after being there in the 1960s.
Old 11-26-2021, 09:53 AM   #33
Tom Duffy

M.O.C. #29396
This thread caught my attention since I am slightly paranoid about tires after having issues on my previous TT. Just checked my 2021 3781RL that I bought in Aug. All 4 tires are "Made in China" and date code of 3420 so looks like dual manufacturing facilities at least at that time.
2012 F250 (should have kept until new truck delivered)
Old 11-27-2021, 10:23 AM   #34
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaine and Lindy View Post
When we removed the Sailuns, the weight of the Sailuns was much heavier. The Goodyear rubber felt much better even to the touch. I just feel much better riding on Goodyear, plus the fact, they are American made. Means a lot to me.

Happy trails.
Get on the Turbo diesel forum ,and check out the damage to a guys Mobilesuite , running the G114's that were built in 2020, same old story with Goodyear , tearing up another rig.

If Sailun continues with their issues with tires from Vietnam it will be another brand for me ,but It WILL NOT be Goodyear . Seen ,and read way too much damage done with Goodyear. Good luck with yours .

Thats amazing statement the Goodyears felt better to the touch, I think you have drank a bit too much koolaid.
Old 11-28-2021, 07:33 AM   #35
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Believe what ever you like, I disagree 100%, the fact is I will not buy China made tires. We have been RVing since 2005, I have a owned many different RV's, 3 tag alongs. And we have owned 7 5th wheels, never had one flat tire except on the Cambridge, because of a cracked wheel, the Goodyear was fine, Keystone replace all the wheels, I bought Alcoa wheels from e-trailer, shipped from Dallas to Mission Texas. Thanks (Pressure Pro). The Cambridge was very heavy unit. I ran Goodyear tires. Every tire is capable of failure, a lot depends on the user. I have said I have watched 100's of RV, roll in set a few day or weeks, many never checked the tires before moving. Back in those days, few ran tire monitors. The tire pressure will change, no question about that.

I will not tell you what to buy! That is your choice, and I buy what I want, I "WILL NOT BUY" Sailuns, that is my choice. I really don't care what YOU buy. My experience is the Goodyears are what I buy! Until we decided to go back to RVing this year, I had never heard of a Sailun tire. Those who build RV's buy the cheapest tire on the market, FACT!

Yes. Goodyear had issue's when they had tires built in China, we all know what tires they were. My Goodyears are made in AMERICA! I will not buy China made tires.

Happy trails.
Old 11-28-2021, 07:36 AM   #36
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
Get on the Turbo diesel forum ,and check out the damage to a guys Mobilesuite , running the G114's that were built in 2020, same old story with Goodyear , tearing up another rig.

If Sailun continues with their issues with tires from Vietnam it will be another brand for me ,but It WILL NOT be Goodyear . Seen ,and read way too much damage done with Goodyear. Good luck with yours .

Thats amazing statement the Goodyears felt better to the touch, I think you have drank a bit too much koolaid.
FYI. I don't drink, nor use any drugs nor Smoke dope. It is apparent you have Sailuns, good for you. I have four for sell, however if you go get them, it might be possible I would give them to YOU!

Happy trails.
Closed Thread