Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North American MOC/Rio Grande Winter Texans
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2010, 01:23 AM   #1
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
Making the yearly plan..

Hoping to head south to RGV about Nov 1st..and looking to stay at Sunshine RV resort in Harlingen..I have been catching up on the RGV headlines and happenings as it pertains to weather and park improvements..sure doesnt cause me to be overly anxious to get down there...I guess I will have to adopt the philosophy..no matter what I wont have to shovel it down there...(snow I mean) I havent settled on any particular park..although I know a couple that I wont be goinng back to..

Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:57 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have heard this term so many times in the past few weeks, but what exactly is "RGV"? I am curious to know of its attaction or attributes and maybe knowing what it is will probably help. Thanks!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:08 AM   #3
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
RGV = Rio Grande Valley
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

I have heard this term so many times in the past few weeks, but what exactly is "RGV"? I am curious to know of its attaction or attributes and maybe knowing what it is will probably help. Thanks!
Thanks Art for asking, I've been wondering that myself.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
RGV= A place where the wind blows every time I have been there.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:20 PM   #6
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
Yes the wind does blow and it rains and it gets cool when the sun does go down....but for the most part it is usually warm and there is little chance of snow..and if nothing else its a heck of a lot warmer than where I am...or could be I guess..
Old 09-19-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
We are also doing the yearly plan. We have been contacting our winter friends and learning when they will be checking in. I would like to visit more places but it would be a loooong winter if Sallie dosen't get to park next to her friends. Like so many others, snow is not part of our plan.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:59 AM   #8
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
From the responses and interest in this thread It appears that there will be copious numbers of empty sites at Resorts in th RGV this year...
Old 10-05-2010, 02:17 AM   #9
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I have heard that 1/2 of the shops in Progresso have closed due to lack of tourist coming. They say they are stealing pickups around Mission and Alamo areas and it is getting a little rought in the area.
This was fron local residents but I do not know for sure.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:47 AM   #10
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by awaywego

I have heard that 1/2 of the shops in Progresso have closed due to lack of tourist coming. They say they are stealing pickups around Mission and Alamo areas and it is getting a little rought in the area.
This was fron local residents but I do not know for sure.
Been thinking on whether to go back to Progreso or not. We were there in the spring, and everything was normal.(If you call the machine gun and armored PC at the foot of the bridge normal.) They have been stealing trucks there a long time. We were at the gate when a stolen truck crashed the gates going into Mexico, and that was three years ago. They seem to like the Ford SD diesel King Ranch edition over others.

Recent events on Falcon Lake have me hesitant tho.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:57 AM   #11
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I have to make my plans in the next few weeks. Wife sez its up to me she will not say yes or no. We have some friends who are permanent residents in a park and that things are a bit on the shaky side in the RGV and in Progresso. I can get by without going to Mexico and just spend more time on the beach on Padre Island and activities in the park. I try to use the Winter Texan paper to keep up with thing to do at other parks. It still beats counting snowflakes.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #12
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Just spent a week at Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores Al. Over 470 sites all full hookups with many pull-thru's. I estimate over 400 vacant. According to the locals, the yankee's think the oil has affected the beaches. I can speak for most of Al and the Fl panhandle and this is totally false and is causing hardship on the locals. I don't have a dog in this fight since I live in the panhandle and hate tourist, just trying to correct an injustice and get the word out.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:45 PM   #13
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
We will be leaving NE. this Sunday for TX, the RGV, it takes about 7 weeks to get to TX. We spend about 5 weeks in OK. with our grandsons and family & our son and family. My DW can't wait to see our great granddaughter so she is pushing it to get going.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #14
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
I was browsing and noticed that the CG I was going to stay at in Harlingen has Jan-April blocked out..so I called..they are booked solid...I should have made the reservation when I called last month..oh well..theres alwasy somewhere else..
Old 10-19-2010, 02:21 AM   #15
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
Sunshine RV (Lakeview section)... from January on....
Old 10-19-2010, 12:21 PM   #16
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Don't forget that there are other areas of Texas that are warmer than where you are now. I live 14 miles from Galveston, in Texas City. There are several CG's around us that have monthly rates. One I do recommend is Green Caye, in Dickinson, TX. It's about $370 a month and that INCLUDES electricity. It's gated.

If you have a particular one in our area that you are interested in, let me know and I'll shoot on over and take some pictures.

From Climate.fizber.com:
"Average temperature in January is 51.8 and average temperature in July is 81.1. Texas City, Texas the climate makes it a good place to live in in the terms of weather. "

It does get a lot colder, and a lot hotter, but by and by it is nice.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:29 PM   #17
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
I just heard that bookings in the RGV are up 14 % from last year.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #18
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
The booking are up and I have stayed in contact with many who are down there full time in Green Gate Grove, Mission and Bentsen palm, Mission. No additional problems all summer. It has been normal down there. Progresso is the same as it was two years ago, they do have military on all the boarder crossings anymore.

Progresso is one of the tamest crossings, I haven't heard this year as yet from Al and Carol but they live in Bentsen Palm just south of us in Green Gate Grove, there is going to be plenty of folk's filling up the site's and were all going to have a great time down there.... I am really looking forward to seeing everyone again. I owe Al and Carol an awning set up, they came over and helped me install mine as did Bill Collier (who has a site in Green Gate) and MontyMan Larry and Sue who have a site in Green Gate. Looking forward to getting everyone together and having a great time.. Don't let a little bad news scare you off.. What the heck, were MONTANA FOLK'S....
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:27 AM   #19
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Al and Carol, this year, God willing, the creek don't rise and the drs bless our departure will be wandering over towards Arizona this winter. It is time to see and do, before more issues (called L-I-F-E) happen and we cannot. Grabbing the travel chances N-O-W.

Miss the RGV. You all have a FAB winter.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:00 AM   #20
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Hazmic is down here and the valley. Same place, Winter Ranch in lot 255 in a park model.The " Tana" is back home. Also looking for some get togethers. Have a safe trip carol.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote