Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GIRLS gone MOC > What's cooking?
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2015, 02:16 PM   #1
onekla
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12436
Power pressure cooker

I bought myself an electric Power Pressure Cooker on Black Friday but I've not yet used it and wondered if anyone has used one, likes it and has any tips or recipes to share. I've watched the infomercials on T.V. and am particularly interested in the Low Country Seafood Boil recipe. We've successfully done the Low Country Boil in the big boiler pot over an open flame many times. Any comments or suggestions on these gizmos?

onekla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:19 PM   #2
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
If you want me to come over when you test it, just let me know. I'm great at seafood testing Will be in AR until Jan 3rd. Seriously, let me know how you like it. After seeing the infomercial, I've looked at them every time I go to Bed Bath and Beyond.
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 02:25 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I was raised on pressure cooked food, we were poo folks growing up and I can remember going to the 'chicken shop' as I called it as a boy, dad bought pounds of chicken necks and mom would make a feast of them.
I haven't seen the ad, but just guessing, don't think much can be gained over the old style for the prices.
'Google' recipes for pressure cooking, you should find what you need.
Beans... Bring a pot of them up to a boil, then fast release, fill back up with 1/2 pot of chicken stock, plenty of garlic and diced ham, a ham hock, or.. Diced spam.. And you will have wonderful beans and gam in 30 minutes or so.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 04:29 AM   #4
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by onekla

I bought myself an electric Power Pressure Cooker on Black Friday but I've not yet used it and wondered if anyone has used one, likes it and has any tips or recipes to share. I've watched the infomercials on T.V. and am particularly interested in the Low Country Seafood Boil recipe. We've successfully done the Low Country Boil in the big boiler pot over an open flame many times. Any comments or suggestions on these gizmos?
I have the Instant Pot electric Pressure Cooker and I use it daily. (I have 2 of them) They are safe, and fun to use. Here is a nice website that might help you.

http://www.hippressurecooking.com

One other thing, whenever I release the pressure, I place a dish towel on the top to help from getting things in your kitchen wet. :-)
leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 07:39 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We're going a little different direction. We had a fried turkey in one of these for Thanksgiving at our daughters house, but they also work good, without the oil, for low country boils and things of that type: http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-23...l+turkey+fryer
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 02:45 PM   #6
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
We too have the Instant Pot. DW loves it, which means I love it too!!!
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 04:06 PM   #7
onekla
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12436
Well, dinner tonight was a Low Country Shrimp Boil in the Power Pressure Cooker. I had to keep going to the kitchen to check to see if the thing was working because it was so quiet - really, no noise at all! We will be trying more recipes in it. I put it on 5 minutes but 3 would probably have been plenty. We'll definitely try again. Thanks for the replies - tips always welcome.
onekla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:19 AM   #8
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by onekla

Well, dinner tonight was a Low Country Shrimp Boil in the Power Pressure Cooker. I had to keep going to the kitchen to check to see if the thing was working because it was so quiet - really, no noise at all! We will be trying more recipes in it. I put it on 5 minutes but 3 would probably have been plenty. We'll definitely try again. Thanks for the replies - tips always welcome.
There is so much you can do with it. Thousands of recipes. Like I said, I use mine daily. The more you use it the more you will get comfortable with it.

I steam our vegetables, make mashed potatoes, rice, soups, cook a whole chicken in 30 minutes that will just fall off the bone. I make bone broth with left over bones from beef or fowl, I have made cheesecake, it is great for soft/hard boiled eggs. You should be able to find amuse forming daily. Did I mention steel rolled oats for breakfast?i could go on and on. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:34 PM   #9
Firsterin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17571
I just got an Instant Pot pressure cooker, am loving it so far. The advantage of an electronic one (at least, the Instant Pot brand) is that they can also be used as a slow cooker. I had the idea, when I purchased it, that it would be a handy thing to have along in the camper.
Firsterin is offline   Reply With Quote