Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2019, 09:08 AM   #21
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingdownthehighway View Post
I love Dobbermans, had 3 growing up and they were huge lapdogs and big babies and got all 3 from a breeder and had all 3 from puppy hood to adult life, and then that one time happened with one of our dobes. Out of the blue he went after me while he was eating. He never had a food aggression, I could put my face in his food bowl while he ate, grab his bowl and food no issues, able to pet him, etc, while he ate, but this one time, walked passed, swiped his tail, 10 stitches later, it was a very unpleasant experience.

Do I agree with CG's banning certain breeds, no, however, you just never know with some breeds. Before our bully passed, we would run into some issues with our bulldog with some CG's. Over the summer, I witnessed a poodle going after a Shepard as they walked passed their campsite and bit his leg. You just never know.
"You just never know."

And therein lies the problem. And it is not the breed in itself that makes one more or less likely to bite. It is the absolute fact that the larger and more powerful the dog, the more damage that dog can inflict. A small dog and you might get broken skin. A large powerful breed and you might end up in the hospital. And that is why the restrictions on breed and/or size are necessary. "Gosh, he has never done that before" is not an excuse.

I love dogs. And have had dogs of different breeds for many years. But it is essential that there be restrictions on certain ones beyond the basic restrictions placed on all dogs.

BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:50 AM   #22
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Interesting discussion but to me it is all moot. The owner of the park has the right to set the rules. Trust me they do it on risk assessment. The last thing they want to do is deny a paying customer. If they don't want me in their place of business because of my choices, I don't want to be there.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:33 PM   #23
Maggie Mae

M.O.C. #22632
E12cheng did not say he would misrepresent his Dobbie as a poodle.
He simply asked if breed restrictions are becoming a problem for the rv community.
One of the reasons we travel in a rv is to take our standard poodle with us.
Please do not leave your boy behind.
Take the time to plan your trip so he can be accommodated
Maggie Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:36 PM   #24
Bozwell
Established Member

M.O.C. #23666
Awww. Your dobe is precious. I wouldnt leave him home either. We full-time with our dobe and have stayed in many parks/campgrounds that state “no aggressive breeds.” Never been turned away. Almost all RV parks have insurance that restricts dobies but they dont enforce it unless your dog becomes a nusance and they have to. Just look at all the pittys and german sheppards in rv parks everywhere. We leave our dobe hidden in the rig at check in and if they ask his breed we just say he’s a mix. As long as you dont give them any reason to address you about your dog they will leave you alone.

Just be a responsible dog owner at all times and observe all park rules regarding leashes, restricted pet areas....etc. and you wont have any problems.

Our Dobe is dog aggressive.... we only walk him early in AM and late in PM to avoid any issues. Happy travels.
Bozwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:16 PM   #25
Whitewolf
Established Member

M.O.C. #14498
I'm a small/medium dog kind of guy. Only for the simple fact that small dogs eat small food and make small poop.

But if I was to get a large dog it would either be a Dobie or Pit.

Please don't leave your Dobie home. He'd miss you and you'd miss him.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:41 PM   #26
Greg and Sherry
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17728
Call ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejerni View Post
I've had a dobie many years ago. By no means can you leave him behind. They are a one family dog. Your's is beautiful!
I fully agree that you don’t leave your Fur family behind. When you become the owner/parent to these furbabies you take on a responsibility to them. Just plan your route and call ahead to the campground.
We travel with 5 furbrats not just because we love them, but because they enjoy traveling and secondly nobody would take as good if care of them. Lastly because they feel abandoned. 2 of ours are rescues & they fear being abandoned again.
We’ve had Dobies, German Shepherds and Rotties in the past and we’re blessed with love bugs. Only 1 would bite (GSD) but only on command as a Police canine. Gentle as could be with babies at home/off duty.
Greg and Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 04:36 PM   #27
ECreson

M.O.C. #22890
We travel with our 2 large 75lb. Standard Poodles. When we are asked about our dogs, and they find out they are Poodles, they are usually allowed. Ours are overly friendly, we enjoy walking them, & constantly training them. Our large boy will eventually become a service dog for my partners neuropathy. You might check into getting him advanced training in Canine Good Citizen or Therapy dog training, it could make a difference in the decision (if not for insurance reasons).
ECreson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 05:11 PM   #28
Clark 2012 346LBQ
Established Member

M.O.C. #25245
We have a Giant Alaskan malamute and it’s not her breed but her weight that has us in the sticks. We literally had to move an hour from work because of it. We find most places have. Even like this.
Clark 2012 346LBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 07:38 PM   #29
Sdgood1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23720
We travel with our 2 boxers. If they’re not allowed, we go somewhere else. But almost all of our trips are planned in advance and WE ask about their dog policies. We also ALWAYS clean up after our pets. We haven’t had issues for as long as I can remember.. it’s called respect and it’s not as prevalent as it used to be..

Steven & Denise
New to us 2014 3150RL
Chino Valley, AZ
Sdgood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 07:59 PM   #30
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdgood1 View Post
We travel with our 2 boxers. If they’re not allowed, we go somewhere else. But almost all of our trips are planned in advance and WE ask about their dog policies. We also ALWAYS clean up after our pets. We haven’t had issues for as long as I can remember.. it’s called respect and it’s not as prevalent as it used to be..
AMEN!!!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:00 PM   #31
Iokepa

M.O.C. #20639
The campgrounds liability insurance policy has a whole list of dog breeds that are restricted and your doberman is on that list.
Iokepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:11 PM   #32
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Tell folks he is a Poodledobie. If he is well behaved you should've an issue.

Dogs tend to be very good judges of people. If someone doesn't like dogs, you should be very suspicious of them.
Horrible advice.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 07:53 AM   #33
stevekbk
Established Member

M.O.C. #14073
I have not encounter that enroute to places.
I have here in Mesa, Az the mind set of no Dories.
I have learned its a insurance thing. Who else can run our world?
I am wintering here in Mesa only due to the fact I am in a park that dobermans are not on the LIST.
stevekbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:43 AM   #34
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozwell View Post
. We leave our dobe hidden in the rig at check in and if they ask his breed we just say he’s a mix. As long as you dont give them any reason to address you about your dog they will leave you alone.
Our Dobe is dog aggressive.... we only walk him early in AM and late in PM to avoid any issues. Happy travels.
Just another case of "the rules don't apply to me". Admitting that your dog is aggressive and yet hiding it or lying about it is certainly a poor approach to life. And gives all dog owners a bad name.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:23 PM   #35
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Just another case of "the rules don't apply to me". Admitting that your dog is aggressive and yet hiding it or lying about it is certainly a poor approach to life. And gives all dog owners a bad name.
Agree 100%.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 05:20 PM   #36
Carguy1965
Established Member

M.O.C. #22777
Recently been studying up on Campgrounds in the Charleston SC area for a planned spring break trip next year. First time in a while I have done a bunch of looking into campgrounds in a new area. We have a Scotty and a Schnauzer so its no issue for us, but I was very surprised to notice for the first time ever that almost all of the parks I looked at listed a banned dogs policy even though they were all "Pet Friendly Parks". Without exception they listed Pits, Rottweilers, and Dobermans as the excluded breeds. Never saw that before, but perhaps I am just naive as we have been using a lot of the same campgrounds for many years..

I feel for you folks as we love to travel with ours, they are simply part of the family, but unfortunately the campground gets to make the rules I suppose. You will just need to research and find folks that will let you 4 legged friend stay.

2016 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
Carguy1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 06:49 PM   #37
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Just FYI,
On the Spring River in Arkansas ALL pets are banned from all of the 8 or so RV parks!!

I don't like it but it is what it is and the owners of the parks have the right to run them however they see fit. I don't want to infringe on their rights as that could have implications I might not like. The more you infringe on someones rights the more yours are usually infringed upon. In other words what goes around comes around.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:05 AM   #38
E12Cheng
Established Member

M.O.C. #25338
Thank you all for some thought provoking discussion. I think what hit me the hardest was Texan telling us about his wife with two artificial knees. My mother had artificial knees and it was not easy for her to change direction once moving or to react to something coming at her. When in the public space we should think more of others and not what is just best for me. I would never forgive myself if I caused a hospital stay for Mrs Texan because Zeus saw a squirrel. Zeus will stay home with my son and his dog as they are best buddy's. We will be back in a year so I think he will be fine. We can travel freely around the country on our way to Alaska and not worry about where to stay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	60C67BB7-B4B8-4734-98B8-B520F1A2B50B.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	5283   Click image for larger version

Name:	33A3EEA0-1F0B-4B37-A7E1-F3029E083DE6.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	5284  
TSLB Trailer Saver air ride hitch
E12Cheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:36 AM   #39
stevekbk
Established Member

M.O.C. #14073
big mean doberman.HA
stevekbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:26 PM   #40
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
What insurance will cover you, if your dog bites someone at the RV park?
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote