Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2020, 10:15 PM   #1
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
To all NASCAR fans...

We just got the word today that NASCAR will run all 36 events this year. They are looking at Maybe that second weekend of May to open up the season. I sure hope so.

Thought that you would like the good news....

Charlie

Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 05:19 AM   #2
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I have been listening to Sirrius channel 90 and while NASCAR's intent is to run the remaining 32 races, haven't heard how. 2X a week sounds like the speculative plan, but can the teams handle that pressure, physically as well as keep competitive cars on the track until November.

Back in the '60s NASCAR ran several nights a week and did it fairly well, but the current level of competition and cost of owning a team is waaaay beyond stopping at a dealer and picking up a car, adding roll bars, a performance engine and going racing.

Oh and the May date - it sounds good but is it possible with travel and 'social' restrictions in many states lasting until at least May 15th.

iRacing has been a stopgap but so far has been a mid afternoon nap for me, completely missing the end of the last one.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:37 AM   #3
Elevguy
Established Member

M.O.C. #21345
Indy 500 rescheduled in August. Don’t see it happening
Old 04-18-2020, 08:17 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Like so many other sports, it is really going to be strange to see the events take place with no fans in the seats.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 09:12 AM   #5
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Like so many other sports, it is really going to be strange to see the events take place with no fans in the seats.
That’s sort of the way NASCAR has been for several years!
When the tracks remove 40% of the seats and paint every other one a different color so when the tv cameras pan over fast it appears full!
Gave up our season tickets 5 years ago and don’t miss it one bit.
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 09:55 AM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMOTraveler View Post
When the tracks remove 40% of the seats and paint every other one a different color so when the tv cameras pan over fast it appears full!

We are in the heart of NASCAR country. When nobody here even mentions a race Monday morning NASCAR is in deep trouble.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 05:27 PM   #7
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMOTraveler View Post
Don't want to start something but I go to 20 races a years to work as a photographer. They are always filled to capacity. 5 years ago it did slow down for some of the smaller tracks. But the big money big track there always no room in the infield and no seats in the stands.

Charlie
Old 04-18-2020, 05:42 PM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Bristol had 35 to 40,000 in attendance last year in a stadium for 162,000. Bristol was always packed, no more.
Lynwood
Old 04-18-2020, 06:21 PM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We were a car culture back 50 years ago. We washed and waxed our cars on Sunday. We changed spark plugs and breaks, water pumps, and everything else that broke on a regular basis. Now almost nothing wears out and we think different about cars and the younger generation could care less. They are doing different things.
Shooting sports are the same. Guns were something you handed down to the next generation, with pride. You looked for fine wood and a perfect blueing job. Now it’s plastic stocks and sandblasting. When I started making benchrest shooting products ranges were packed. People came from 20 countries to the Super Shoot. If you shot good you could win thousands. Now it’s hard to win enough to get back home and less than half as many people compete.
All these sports we enjoyed are fading and there is nothing we can do about it. Young people just have different things to do. I’m sure this applies to a lot of sports we enjoyed.
Lynwood
Old 04-19-2020, 04:57 AM   #10
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I've watched car racing since just past mid last century (which puts me in that ancient category). I even tried my hand at some dirt track racing when a stripped out and roll barred '37 Ford and a 59A-B flathead enfine was was all it took to have fun. If there are only 3 other folks in the grandstand, I'll watch.

Strictly my opinions! NASCAR started losing fans when they went to what I feel are spec cars with a different nose decal for some sort of brand identification. I'm also of the opinion that many oldsters can't identify with the 18-25 year old drivers regardless of the fact that most are great drivers, probably better then most of the ones of yesteryear. Then there is the cost of taking yourself and family with the average number of kids.

I'm looking forward to whenever the races resume, now sometime after mid- May and maybe without fans.

Now, to upset me, starting this morning, the NA$CAR website wont let me in until I shut off my ad blocker. I guess the Jayski site will have to do it for me now (https://www.jayski.com/)
Old 04-19-2020, 08:12 AM   #11
ChaseTX
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26041
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
We were a car culture back 50 years ago. We washed and waxed our cars on Sunday. We changed spark plugs and breaks, water pumps, and everything else that broke on a regular basis. Now almost nothing wears out and we think different about cars and the younger generation could care less. They are doing different things.
Shooting sports are the same. Guns were something you handed down to the next generation, with pride. You looked for fine wood and a perfect blueing job. Now it’s plastic stocks and sandblasting. When I started making benchrest shooting products ranges were packed. People came from 20 countries to the Super Shoot. If you shot good you could win thousands. Now it’s hard to win enough to get back home and less than half as many people compete.
All these sports we enjoyed are fading and there is nothing we can do about it. Young people just have different things to do. I’m sure this applies to a lot of sports we enjoyed.
Lynwood

If you look back in history (1900s through roughly 1982), America was one of the biggest manufacturers. Which means we had millions that were well versed with working with their hands and not intemmidated to get greasy and dirty.
I truly hope after the situation that our Country is going through. We bring big productions companies back home. Not only will that produce more jobs, but I also believe it will change the way people think in general and build that much needed confidence that you can fix things on your own. You will have more people return back to DIY mechanics, they see what they can do at work and have more confidence in themselves. Which in return i think will pick back up those past time interest. Building/rebuilding cars, street racing, and drag racing as well as those outdoor sports.

Just my .02.
ChaseTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:59 AM   #12
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I grew up in the 60's when Ford, Chevy, and Petty's Plymouths were the contenders and hard core fans of each make were also hard core fans of "stock car" racing. Somehow slowly losing interest over the years as the requirements made the cars more alike than different until Toyota and Nissan becoming contenders really made me lose all interest. Haven't watch a race in many years. I don't even recognize the names of most of the drivers any more.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:55 AM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I never thought about what ChaseTX said but this night be close. Who works with their hands anymore, who makes something? Milton Freeman said wealth created when we make something, a car a pound of wheat or in my case a powder measure. Government does not create wealth. But bringing jobs back home? I don’t see that happening. I see stuff made in China that couldn’t buy the material for what it’s being sold retail for. I heard of a small company that was making screws for a large company. The buyer told the small company he would haft to lower his price 90% or they won’t buy from China. He couldn’t buy the material for that. We do need to start making products again. Do we really won’t our drugs made overseas.
What would bring back racing? Racing real cars, maybe. Every body knows all the cars are the same. The only people it benefits is the France family. Remember when you hated Richard Petty if you drove a Chevy like me. If NASCAR is to thrive you haft to bring that back. The cars used to all drive and handle different and that kept a race interesting.
Lynwood
Old 04-19-2020, 10:26 AM   #14
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I dislike the fact that Toyota is involved and Nissan and possibly Hyundai are talking about entering this US sport. I refuse to be a fan of any Toyota driver, regardless of how good or the driver's popularity. The Australian V8 Super cars while they were broadcast were even more fun to watch and were raced on road courses, not ovals.. They at least still resemble actual 'stock' cars though, IIRC, do have composite bodies.

Whenever it ends up returning, I'll watch - and will even watch the iRacing/Richmond today. Bettern' nothin' since baseball is shut down too.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:40 AM   #15
ChaseTX
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26041
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I never thought about what ChaseTX said but this night be close. Who works with their hands anymore, who makes something? Milton Freeman said wealth created when we make something, a car a pound of wheat or in my case a powder measure. Government does not create wealth. But bringing jobs back home? I don’t see that happening. I see stuff made in China that couldn’t buy the material for what it’s being sold retail for. I heard of a small company that was making screws for a large company. The buyer told the small company he would haft to lower his price 90% or they won’t buy from China. He couldn’t buy the material for that. We do need to start making products again. Do we really won’t our drugs made overseas.
What would bring back racing? Racing real cars, maybe. Every body knows all the cars are the same. The only people it benefits is the France family. Remember when you hated Richard Petty if you drove a Chevy like me. If NASCAR is to thrive you haft to bring that back. The cars used to all drive and handle different and that kept a race interesting.
Lynwood
Well said, and great information to think about.
Previous Eagle Cap 850, Elkhorn 8.5, Alfa Gold 38RLT
ChaseTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:19 AM   #16
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
ByNASCAR Statement NASCAR.com April 21, 2020 at 1:00 PM

“NASCAR is postponing the scheduled events on May 8-9 at Martinsville Speedway. Our intention remains to run all 36 races, with a potential return to racing without fans in attendance in May at a date and location to be determined. The health and safety of our competitors, employees, fans and the communities in which we run continues to be our top priority. We will continue to consult with health experts and local, state and federal officials as we assess future scheduling options.”
Old 04-29-2020, 07:58 PM   #17
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
They say there running these dates

NASCAR All Star Open
Saturday, May 16
7:00 PM Charlotte Motor Speedway

NASCAR All-Star Race
Saturday, May 16
9:00 PM Charlotte Motor Speedway

Coca-Cola 600
Sunday, May 24
6:00 PM Charlotte Motor Speedway
Old 05-03-2020, 04:29 PM   #18
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
May update

April 30, 2020 at 2:57 PM
NASCAR is scheduled to make its return to racing on Sunday, May 17, at Darlington Raceway with a NASCAR Cup Series race that will serve as the first of seven races over an 11-day span at two different race tracks throughout May, the sanctioning body announced Thursday.

The race at the historic South Carolina track will be held without fans in attendance and is slated to be NASCAR’s first on-track action in more than two months as the sport and world in general have been on pause during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The May 17 race is a 400-miler, scheduled for 3:30 p.m. ET, live on FOX, MRN and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio. It also is the first of three races at the track, including a second Cup Series race held midweek under the lights three days later.

The May schedule also includes the crown jewel Coca-Cola 600 in its traditional Memorial Day Weekend home for the 60th consecutive season, plus midweek races in prime time.

Below are the races announced Thursday:

Sun., May 17 Cup Series Darlington 400 miles FOX 3:30 p.m. ET
Tue., May 19 Xfinity Series Darlington 200 miles FS1 8 p.m. ET
Wed., May 20 Cup Series Darlington 500 km FS1 7:30 p.m. ET
Sun., May 24 Cup Series Charlotte 600 miles FOX 6 p.m. ET
Mon., May 25 Xfinity Series Charlotte 300 miles FS1 7:30 p.m. ET
Tue., May 26 Gander Trucks Charlotte 200 miles FS1 8 p.m. ET

Charlie
Old 05-04-2020, 05:17 AM   #19
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
..but how long can they go on with no fans in the stands helping pay the bills. I don't have any idea on how the money is broken down, but the track owners wont be able to foot the costs very long without an income.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:19 PM   #20
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
..but how long can they go on with no fans in the stands helping pay the bills. I don't have any idea on how the money is broken down, but the track owners wont be able to foot the costs very long without an income.
I am sure that they are talking with all the teams and sponsors and the track owners and they will come up with some thing to foot the bill's. This is only one year that they are down. With all the moneys that they have made I sure they can and will pick up the cost. You also have to remember everyone is involved with this so all is hurting. If they want to spend money to have the rest of us enjoy our self's then I am all for it. I work at these tract and I told them that they can hold back my pay for a while. Let us just get back to living the way we were living.

Charlie