Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Insurance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2020, 08:42 AM   #41
JanCouch
Established Member

M.O.C. #24632
What address to you give to businesses?

Old 07-21-2020, 09:46 AM   #42
jtcurbo
Established Member

M.O.C. #25900
I give my mailing address as opposed to my residential address. My mailing address is a mail service here in Palestine,Tx that will send us our mail to wherever we are. We have a box number there and just go by there to get our mail when we are in town.
Our residential address is the physical location where we hook up our trailer when in Palestine. That’s the address we have on our driver’s license. We have a friend that fixed a hook up on his property. When we are traveling he checks ou residential mail box and will pick up any mail that may be delivered.
jtcurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:21 PM   #43
Mlenest
Established Member

M.O.C. #25902
I also have Progressive I hag a claim paid by them for over 12k
With no hassle I would try them
Mlenest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:18 AM   #44
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
I would use Progressive, but I can't stand Flo. I go with the gecko (Gieco). :-)
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:09 PM   #45
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
I don't carry insurance on my RV. Reduced my TV to state mandated minimums.

Insurance is about risk vs. reward where the house always wins. Only way to win is to NOT pay/play.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 06:45 AM   #46
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Speaking of insurance, moving from CA to NV saved us 2/3. Same insurer, coverage, vehicles, etc. Also learned there is a "insurance" rating like a credit rating. It takes into account several factors, not just wrecks and tickets. Hopping around for insurance doesn't alwys help in the long run.
Old 11-05-2020, 06:52 AM   #47
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post

Insurance is about risk vs. reward where the house always wins. Only way to win is to NOT pay/play.
Good luck.....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 06:56 AM   #48
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:

I agree. If you can afford the loss you will probably be way ahead.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:42 AM   #49
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
Good luck.....
Apparently, I was foolish to be giving all that luck to the insurance companies. Never an accident and they continually raised my rates. I was on track to pay more for the vehicle in insurance payments than the vehicles value. That shouldn't make sense to anyone, except the "what if'ers".
Old 11-05-2020, 08:45 AM   #50
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I agree. If you can afford the loss you will probably be way ahead.
Lynwood
Or, just don't have a loss. That's my bet.
Old 11-05-2020, 09:36 AM   #51
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I all fireness we have two kinds of people people who feel safe having ESPs and insurance and risk takers. Who’s right? both. It depends on what type of personality you have.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:17 AM   #52
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
I agree. My only concerns with the "other side" is when they push their agendas or beliefs that their right and everyone else should follow their lead.

I just try to help people, help themselves. There is often more ways than one to skin a cat.
Old 11-05-2020, 11:47 AM   #53
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
Glad you found insurance.

I started with foremost because we had Farmers on the house and trucks and it's what my agent put me with. They raised their rates, then Good Sams called and asked if I'd like to shop for insurance. Why not?

Ended up with Progressive at a savings of about $300 a year with the same coverage. I think it's full timers since I told them I was living in it at the time although we own a house.
Also insured for the purchase price.
Old 11-05-2020, 12:01 PM   #54
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Our level of risk comfort is very low. As such we carry full coverage on everything regardless of lien status primarily because of all the uninsured/underinsured on the road.

Just not worth the risk of getting hit by someone with no or insufficient coverage and no resources. Just let our insurance handle it and let them go after the other person.

We also follow the law to the letter. Sign says light on during the day... my lights are on. Never exceed the speed limit. Otherwise one risks something called "contributory negligence" being used against them. Just not worth the risk.

We have two friends that are retired lawyers. Having someone like them on your a$$ in a civil suit would be very, very, bad.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:03 PM   #55
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Glad you found insurance.

I started with foremost because we had Farmers on the house and trucks and it's what my agent put me with. They raised their rates, then Good Sams called and asked if I'd like to shop for insurance. Why not?

Ended up with Progressive at a savings of about $300 a year with the same coverage. I think it's full timers since I told them I was living in it at the time although we own a house.
Also insured for the purchase price.
Same here. We've been with Progressive on our RV's for the last three years. Been very happy with the rates. Hope to never need them.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:48 PM   #56
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Or, just don't have a loss. That's my bet.
An uninsured illegal ran into my friends car. Long story short, he made $75,000 off the wreck. If you don't mind paying out in such a scenario, that's fine. A quick calculation shows that kind of payment would cover well over 25 years of insurance. We all measure risks and make decisions accordingly.
Old 02-10-2021, 08:15 AM   #57
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Isn't yhe insurance for accidents? I don't get it..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:34 AM   #58
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
I can see both sides of this coin; for those who say they will self insure because they have the means to recover their loss, it makes sense.
The fly in the ointment nowadays is that it's hard to self insure for liability. In a worst case scenario where you had an at fault accident, maybe you can stomach the $100k+ loss of truck and trailer. But what if you are sued for millions? End of your lifestyle as you know it.
For those who don't plan to get into an accident? No one plans to get into an accident, and all it takes is for the first one to be a bad one.

To be clear, each one can make their own choice and each one accepts their own level of comfort with risk. I'm only suggesting that the risk is higher now than it used to be, so make sure you are considering the true "worst case" scenario when you decide.

I used to only buy the minimum insurance required in our province. But now that I am older and have way more means than when I was younger, I actually buy more insurance. Yes, now I can afford to self insure the loss of the vehicle, but I also have a lot more to lose if I was sued. And because I have more, I think the likelihood of being sued is higher.
I still don't plan to get in an accident, and drive very defensively

Just MHO...

Brad
Old 02-10-2021, 10:02 AM   #59
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
In most if not all states it is illegal to drive your TV without liability insurance. Adding collision, comprehensive and uninsured motorist coverage as well as insurance on the trailer are choices.

State minimums for liability are a lot less than what a fairly simple accident can cost you if at fault. If you have assets it may be prudent to carry more than minimum liability coverage.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:13 AM   #60
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
In most if not all states it is illegal to drive your TV without liability insurance. Adding collision, comprehensive and uninsured motorist coverage as well as insurance on the trailer are choices.

State minimums for liability are a lot less than what a fairly simple accident can cost you if at fault. If you have assets it may be prudent to carry more than minimum liability coverage.
Thanks for clarifying what I meant to say... I agree and did intend to say that it's the extra liability part that is more worrisome to me now than in the past.

Brad