Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2020, 02:36 PM   #61
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Baby Q here, Infact, I have removed it from the camper and now regularly use it instead of my Vermont castings grill at home. It is small and convienent. I ordered the wing shelves from ebay since they were obsolete with the 1000 model. It has plenty of surface are for the two of us. I will never invest more in a grill. I have had the 400 to 600 price range of grills. They all rot out and I will never do that again. The Webber has stood the test of time and will always be my replacement if it fails. But you may have other options for grills and griddles. My thoughts are irrevelent on your wishes.
I am also on a second bulk tank adapter. For some reason the first one cloged and ended up in the junk pile. The second one worked and delivered a good stream of gas.
There are mods on the internet if you want serious searing heat. But Dont hold me to any mods.

Old 07-23-2020, 03:15 PM   #62
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
I have a Green Egg at the house, love it, like Lynwood mentioned, use real charcoal. In the Monty i have a small Smoke Hollow, it works well. It takes about 2 beers time to clean it

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:11 PM   #63
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
We have a Primo Oval XL at Home which is a larger version of the Green Egg and use it often the food flavor is a game changer in terms of BBQ. SO when we saw the Kamado Joe JR at Costco it was a no brainer for us we keep it in our rear storage and can cook right on the Moryde tray or take it out and move to the Picnic table. For us if it cooks in less than 15 minutes we cook on the Blackstone if it takes longer we use the Kamado Joe. Here is a 1/4 Chicken turned out Amazing slow cooked for about 1 hours.

lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:55 PM   #64
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The truth is there isn’t much difference in what difference grilles do. We all have one we like that fits our needs. There probably is some difference in charcoal and gas but a hamburger off a $1000 grill and one off a $10 one is going to taste pretty much the same.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 05:31 PM   #65
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
The truth is there isn’t much difference in what difference grilles do. We all have one we like that fits our needs. There probably is some difference in charcoal and gas but a hamburger off a $1000 grill and one off a $10 one is going to taste pretty much the same.
Lynwood
I didn't even know there were so many different brands out there.

Anything off a grill over 5280 feet elevation tastes great to me.
Old 07-25-2020, 06:08 PM   #66
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Lynwood

Honestly, I don't think that is accurate. A burger can taste a thousand different ways....just by the fire and smoke. Now I agree, some don't care and "cooked" meat is cooked meat, but if you like that "particular" flavor burger just a xxxx grill won't do. I also think that most RVers try to cook various meats in different ways; I can guarantee that $10 grill won't be able to do much more than put some burn marks on a burger or hot dog.

At the moment I have 3 different grills in front of the RV. One is in fact a $19 charcoal grill from Walmart. I buy one everywhere I go then give it away because I won't carry a charcoal anything in my truck or RV. It can make a burger and cook some sausages; maybe even do a sort of good job on a piece of chicken....but not a 1/4 chicken.

Used to be a wood/charcoal purist but as I got older time (impatience) became pretty important so started using gas grills. JennAir, CharBroil, Weber; I've owned most of them - none can duplicate a wood/charcoal fire if you want to take the time. Smoker? Neither of the above can even start to do what they do. And therein lies the value of that $1000 grill and what it can do.

I have approx. 600 sq. covered ft. at my s&b called "bbq central" with various cooking "tools" there. I can assure you that there is a difference between that $10 grill (wherever that is) and a top line one without question - even with a "burger". JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:18 PM   #67
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Lynwood
That could not be further from the truth...As the others have eluded there is a difference between grills however it is not so much a a price variable. Our Kamado Jr was $359 at Costco, we also have a $159 Blackstone (Walmart) and recent sold the $229 Coleman Road Trip (which was garbage). Then there is another great grill the Traeger which adds a different flavor and cooking experience. Whereas each once of the above mentioned will deliver dramatically different results. For us cooking is one of the best parts of camping, we typically have time on our hands and cooking in the outdoors is a family affair and makes for great quality time as well...
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:16 AM   #68
ScottN
Established Member

M.O.C. #28930
Most of the comments I have found on this forum about BBQ grills are discussing the models that use high-pressure LP (i.e., coming directly off the tank before the regulator). Our 3121RL has a quick-disconnect port near the entry door with low-pressure LP. What are recommendations for grills that can work with this low-pressure?
Old 11-29-2021, 08:21 AM   #69
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Any grill will work with the lower pressure, if you remove the regulator from the grill itself. That may entail just buying a hose, or modifying the existing hose to remove the regulator that came with the grill. I did that to my Coleman Road Trip with our previous SOB trailer. Our Montana doesn't have the quick connect option, so I just use the normal connector with the regulator now. Also have a Blackstone with regulator on the hose as well.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:54 AM   #70
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Like RMcneal said.... Since your camper already has a regulated low pressure source any grill that doesn't already have a regulator will work. I personally don't like grill that come with a built in/ on board regulator. I had the Coleman NXT 200 grill and it came with a built in regulator. I had nothing but trouble with it because Coleman had a problem with their regulators. They replaced the grill under warranty but I switched to the 22" Blackstone griddle that doesn't have a regulator. The regulator is on the supply hose of the 20 lbs BBQ tank. I carry a spare just in case the reg goes bad I can swap it out in 2 mins. When the Regulator went out on my Coleman NXT the grilling was over...
Old 11-29-2021, 09:01 AM   #71
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
This is the BBQ I bought that works great, and does not have a regulator on it. https://www.amazon.com/Olympian-Stai...8201551&sr=8-1