Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > COVID-19 Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2020, 09:34 AM   #21
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Dave you gotta quit this.
Lynwood

mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:48 AM   #22
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Dave I started to read that book even bought one but it is so big that I tuned into a PHD machinist. No not what you think. You know the little green cycle start button Push Here Dummy. I’m sure you know some PHD machinist. Shops are full of them.
Lynwood
Old 07-20-2020, 10:22 AM   #23
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post

My wife now "carries" in a hidden compartment in her purse all the time now, and when we travel with the camper, I keep my 20 gauge shot gun right beside our bed in the camper all the time now. I haven't purchased a hand gun for myself yet, I'm still debating on that. And yes, we both have lifetime permits Carry and Conceal for Indiana. This has been a big change for us, in our mind-set for safety and protection, because until this Summer, we never carried or felt unsafe. Now, it's different.
So how do you figure on shooting the coronavirus?

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:24 AM   #24
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Dave you gotta quit this.
Lynwood

OK consider me done for the day with these good words:

2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:07 PM   #25
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
I can sum up the situation with two words.
Extremely Crowded!

For every single older person who has decided to stay in, there are at least 25 younger people outdoors in their place. I've never seen the outdoors so crowded in my lifetime. Used campers and ATV's in our area are selling at a premium as quick as they are listed. Local dealers can't keep $20K+ side x sides in stock.

Camping, kayaking, fishing, biking, hiking, boating, ATV's ect.. Its absolutely unbelievable how many people are outdoors right now.
Our mountain rivers are so polluted with kayakers, I could walk across
bank to bank without getting a foot wet.

We have a near one million acre national forest. Its more crowded right now than our states largest mall. I had to carry my own rock to stand on in my favorite trout stream last weekend!
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:32 PM   #26
Cindy and Ray's Grand Tour
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21053
It is bad in Texas if you should get sick (with anything). Hospitals are full and 10 to 12 people are dying of the virus each day in just my county with the numbers only going up. Otherwise, with the exception of wearing masks, it seems like business as usual. Bars were reclosed but Restaurants are open at 50% capacity. Lots of big families in this area and they like to gather it appears. They slowed the parties during the Stay at Home order but resumed quickly after it was lifted. Just my opinion but if they would have kept things shut down one more month, then did lots of tracing, we may have beaten it. Instead they opened and the shut down was a total waste of time and people's livelihoods.

Due to our age and medical conditions, we have stayed home and only gone to the grocery about once every two weeks. We do delivery food once a week to break the monotony. We cancelled our 6 month western road trip because of all the park and travel restrictions in April and May. However, we can't take it anymore and will pull the Monty to Michigan to visit 4 adult Children/9 Grandkids in August and September. With the virus so bad here in Texas, what difference does it make? I have not pulled it 400 miles a day for 4 days straight before so this will be a new and tiring experience. Lets hope we don't have any tire blowouts. I got reservations for the whole trip without difficulty.
Jacksonville, FL
Cindy and Ray's Grand Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:20 PM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
I'm not sure how to take it. If you believe the journalists it is almost the apocalypse (except of course they don't believe in the Bible).

But if you believe your own eyes and common sense it doesn't seem that bad. Business is conducted close to normal and while I hear of a death or two here and there I don't know anyone (not even very distant relation) that has actually died from the virus. In fact, I haven't even heard of anyone that has had it or even tested positive.

For that reason it is extremely difficult for me to believe there isn't some sort of political motive involved. Particularly because we have never reacted to any of the other pandemics in recent history like this. But I still wear a mask and sanitize my hands when in public, just in case I am wrong.....
The death or two is now over 140K.

Remember this virus came out of nowhere it did not exist last year and there is no historical data on what medication controls it and there is no vaccine. We took worst case scenario which IMO was the right thing to do.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:01 PM   #28
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
They said today that a vaccine shows a great deal of promise. Developed in UK, will test on 30,000 soon. Fingers crossed.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:21 PM   #29
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Here in North Carolina we have to wear masks when we go into public places, stores, bank, restaurants, ect. Also stay 6 feet apart from each other. Our supermarkets have arrows painted on the floor on which was you go thru the store. But nobody has adhered to that and nobody in the store has said anything to us. We play the game we were told to play. Welcome to the USA.

46 years married (Dam I been in prison that long)
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:35 AM   #30
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Here is southwest Virginia mask are required however not everyone wears them. More and more business are requiring them. There have been several arrests made because someone pulled a gun on someone in a store. I wear one out of respect for other people.

There isn’t much of the virus here. I don’t personally know anyone who has had it. Our congress man and has wife who is a judge has it now. A board of supervisor member who lives 7 miles from us has it. Our friends know a family of three that had it. When I ask how are they she got a funny look on her face and said ‘ they died’.
Lynwood
Old 07-21-2020, 07:54 AM   #31
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post

Remember this virus came out of nowhere it did not exist last year and there is no historical data on what medication controls it and there is no vaccine. We took worst case scenario which IMO was the right thing to do.
Annual US flu deaths in the last 10 years have ranged from a low of 12,000 to a high of 61,000. COVID19 deaths are over 141,000, and that is just for the last 4 months. Multiply that out over a full year and then say COVID19 is no worse than the flu.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:40 AM   #32
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Annual US flu deaths in the last 10 years have ranged from a low of 12,000 to a high of 61,000. COVID19 deaths are over 141,000, and that is just for the last 4 months. Multiply that out over a full year and then say COVID19 is no worse than the flu.
86% of the people who have died from Covid have had other contributing factors. John Glenn's 100 year old widow was scored as a Covid death. Numbers are interesting but the source for the numbers is vital to understanding them.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:49 AM   #33
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcol View Post
86% of the people who have died from Covid have had other contributing factors. John Glenn's 100 year old widow was scored as a Covid death. Numbers are interesting but the source for the numbers is vital to understanding them.

Old people and people with other health problems get the flu too and they don’t die as often as people with Covid.
Lynwood
Old 07-21-2020, 09:58 AM   #34
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Old people and people with other health problems get the flu too and they don’t die as often as people with Covid.
Lynwood
I don't want to get in a big pissing match over this. The 86% came from an NIH release in the May time frame. I know you believe that people with the flu don't die as often as people with Covid but what is the source for that belief?
Old 07-21-2020, 11:53 AM   #35
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcol View Post
Older people and people with compromised health conditions are more likely to die from any disease than a healthy person. Show me the percentages of people who died from the flu that had other contributing factors. Or any other disease for that matter. You can’t say the percentages for COVID are any different without providing numbers for the others.

But total annual deaths attributed to a specific disease compared to another disease are hard numbers and easy to compare.
Old 07-21-2020, 03:15 PM   #36
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Older people and people with compromised health conditions are more likely to die from any disease than a healthy person. Show me the percentages of people who died from the flu that had other contributing factors. Or any other disease for that matter. You can’t say the percentages for COVID are any different without providing numbers for the others.

But total annual deaths attributed to a specific disease compared to another disease are hard numbers and easy to compare.

I'm not so sure about the comparison since IIRC the CDC only accumulates flu statistics during the winter and stops in April.

On top of that no one now or ever has randomly ran a test on anyone to see if they "tested positive" for flu as they are now doing for Covid. The flu number could be in the billions especially if they did it year round...we don't know. To compound matters, directions given by governmental agencies, as has been reported, to medical facilities to count any death as Covid if it was just present when the person died skews numbers greatly. I believe that directive has been modified in some areas to only report it as Covid if it was a "contributing" factor. Case in point; acquaintance had congestive heart failure and had to go to ER. He tested positive for Covid, died, and it was a Covid death. Prior to Covid it would have been classified differently.

If you read the CDC reports you will see that flu has never been tracked like they are doing Covid. Never tested like they do for Covid. In reality we have no basis to compare Covid against because we've never tried to mass test folks for ??? You just have to scratch your head.

I know lots of folks around the country. I don't know one person that has had or died from Covid. I don't count the acquaintance - he was a "mandated" stat. Sort of like my home town newspaper keeps a rolling count (14 day) of active covid cases; they come on, they go off and repeat. No one has died, some have gotten sick but recovered...like the flu; or maybe it was the flu but they tested positive for Covid??

Not trying to argue with anyone; everyone can believe what they want and react how they want. Just some observations about the mangled, manipulated stats we get as John Q Public.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:43 PM   #37
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
We live in Canada, but have travelled extensively in the U.S. We have wintered in Florida for the past twelve winters. Of course the border is now closed, so we will camp in our own province.

I would like to get some information from people around the U.S. as to how things are going with regards to the pandemic. Are people taking it seriously? Are they social distancing? Are people wearing masks?

I have been in touch with someone I know in Florida and she tells me things are business as usual down there, with no one paying it much attention. This is a state which is the epicenter of the country for the virus!

I don't want any political discussions. I just want to know how things really are. We get the news up here, but I just would like to know what the people are saying, not just the journalists. One article I read stated "Not only is the genie out of the bottle, there is no longer bottle"! Are things as bad as they say? Do any of you know anyone who got the virus, and maybe even someone who died from it?
Our daughter-in-law works at a hospital in Flagler county. ICU is running pretty close to capacity. Same at some of the surrounding hospitals.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:51 PM   #38
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I'm not so sure about the comparison since IIRC the CDC only accumulates flu statistics during the winter and stops in April.
CDC records flu cases and mortality on a weekly basis all year, not just winter.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm
Old 07-21-2020, 04:37 PM   #39
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
I believe that info in the link will be new due to the current environment - I don't recall anything like that showing historical data. Here's a link that speaks to the 17-18 season and how they "estimated" flu numbers at that time, the look back period and I'm sure until Covid. Click on methods used to calculate for some additional info. I will continue to look for the statement that they recorded stats only until April in previous years...it was there. I'm sure because the "reporting" was done from the various medical facilities to report "flu like symptoms" to be included. By April the incidents had dropped low enough they didn't report them any longer (as I type this that is what I read - I'll try to find that).

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden...18/archive.htm

Not trying to argue, just pointing out the disparity in the way the numbers are determined if trying to make apple to apple comparisons. And kind of interesting to see how we guestimate these things.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:57 PM   #40
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post

While 140K is a large number. Have you looked at how many deaths occur every year in this country. And how many are attributed to other viruses?

And then there is all sorts of arguments about if they are accurately accounting all the deaths to the proper reason or just labeling everything covid.

But most of all I haven't heard of a single person that works in my industry or even lives in the area that actually has passed away or even tested positive. I keep hearing big numbers in the MEDIA but I haven't actually seen ANY evidence.

Don't misunderstand, I am sympathetic to those who have passed away and their families. I'm just saying something doesn't exactly add up about what is going on. I AM KEEPING AN OPEN MIND. But there is decidedly some politics playing out beyond a terrible virus.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote