Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2020, 03:40 PM   #21
bigdawgfinley
Established Member

M.O.C. #22520
Trailer length

We have a 40’ Montana and just finished two trips last year staying over 30 nights at various locations and had no problems. We did stay almost exclusively at KOA as it was easier to plan the trip

bigdawgfinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:27 PM   #22
lj_cox
Established Member

M.O.C. #19296
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconners View Post
I read on one site, the national parks won't allow the bigger rigs, but since the entrance people only go by model number to determine length, you will be good. In other words, we get the 3791RD and the park people see 37 and assume it's a 37' unit. But, my worry would be pulling into that site knowing it will likely not fit the entire unit. That could be a problem.
In our experience with the size-limited National Park campgrounds, the problem isn't so much the sites as it is the ROADS. There's an absolutely gorgeous campground at Craters of the Moon Natl Park with a 24-30 ft limit. Sites are fine, roads are narrow, curvy, and edged with lava boulders guaranteed to make confetti out of your sidewalls.

We are full-timing in a roughly 36 ft long Montana. We fit most places and it's a good size for us. I wouldn't go larger, I think; I like the access to most state parks and some federal.

10 years this year since we sold the house, the Montana is our second rig; the first was 34 ft.
lj_cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:45 PM   #23
Campkd6

M.O.C. #26099
Check with Colliers in Rockford IL. Thats where we bought our Montana High County. Great dealer.
Campkd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:29 PM   #24
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
If you are going to do that much traveling, the 3120/21 has it's advantages over the longer rigs. First of all, it's got a bigger payload (how much you can load into it) than the longer models. But how much are you going to downsize and are you going to be comfortable in the space it provides. It's empty weight is 12K+ and loaded is 16K+. So if you are going to load it to the max then it's the same as pulling the longer 16K+ units, you are just 4 to 6 feet shorter which is nicer when passing and guessing where your rear end is.

We are in the same camp as those that want full hook-ups. And most of those have pads that accomodate a 45 foot rig. Depending on where the CG's water and electricity is located, can affect where your rig has to sit on the pad which can make it tough to get your truck parked on the same pad. In those cases the CG usually has overflo parking which means your truck might not be parked close to your RV. We have a 36 foot and have not had any problems finding sites that fit. Just be honest about your length when making your reservation.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:45 PM   #25
Mr Pachu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17922
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeis48 View Post
If you are going to take your rig to Alaska, shorter is better. The 3121 is a good choice.

Why is shorter better for going to Alaska?
First time we went, we had a 22 foot fifth wheel.
Next trip, we had a 30 foot fifth.
2017, we took a 2015 Montana 3790RD.
No problems with any size of trailer as you also see many Class A diesel pushers up there.
Mr Pachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:38 PM   #26
Traveltimers2
Established Member

M.O.C. #19203
We have 2016 Montana 3790RD - 40 feet (1 inch) and have had no trouble finding places to camp. We always make sure when calling for reservations they know the length and how many slides. Never ever have we been told we are to long, etc. Lots of CG have sites big enough for even longer RV's than ours. Just call and check, maybe you might be told no, but check out online also.
Traveltimers2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:24 AM   #27
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Some great advice given here. In 2006 we bought our current fifth wheel. 34 feet. I got hung up on not wanting to go over 34'. We still have the rig and it has served us well but in hind sight 4 more feet in length would have put us in the 3400 with much more interior room. My biggest purchasing mistake!
Old 08-03-2020, 11:30 AM   #28
Leonard R.
Established Member

M.O.C. #26577
Quote:
Hi Folks,

My wife and I just picked up our new Ram 3500, Cummins and Dually pickup a week ago. We are going to purchasing a Montana in the spring, potentially for full timing.

As we look through the Montana site from Keystone, I see only one unit below 40'. All the full time information we have navigated through indicate full timing in a unit 40' will be tough as a lot of places won't fit a unit that big.

What's your experiences been with your unit and how big is it?

Do you find the size being restrictive when going to destinations you have on your bucket list? We have some destinations in mind, but really don't want to find ourselves locked out because the unit is too big.

Thank you!
Hi,
We just took possession of a Montana 35' 3120 RL which we plan to live in 4-5 months a year in the Southern U.S. (all things Covid getting better. We are Canadian, so who knows our winter travel plans right now).
I bought it specifically for long stretches of living, taking into account living space, ease of camping options, and cargo. It certainly hits the mark on all of these so far! Much research went into our camping style before we made the decision. We were close on a Montana High Country 294 RL, but felt the Montana 3120 offered a better overall package. Do your research and good luck! FYI, we pull it with a Silverado 3500 dually diesel and it is a great combo!
Leonard R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:31 AM   #29
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeis48 View Post
If you are going to take your rig to Alaska, shorter is better. The 3121 is a good choice.
Can you elaborate. Alaska is in our plans.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:10 PM   #30
Sueburl

M.O.C. #25817
Hi. We have the same truck and pull a 38' 5er. Please
Plenty of room for 2 and 1 dog, but you must be strict with your belongings. We are full time and haven't had a problem with this length.
Sueburl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:20 PM   #31
Jester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25910
Quote:
Thank for all the information. Our hopes are to be able to travel from Alaska to the keys and to the far reaches of the continent if possible. The goal would be to find our next forever area to settle back down again in 4-6 years. We don't want to get to a point of being out of luck, but like you have said, planning can make it work. We expect to be in an area for a month at a time, to get a feel for the lay of the land and so forth.

We have seriously considered the high country, but we can't find any in southern Wisconsin. So, I think some weekend trips will need to be made, just to check them out. Thanks!!
All good Information here but let’s not forget height. I find more restrictions at 13’ 5” in height then length. Keep that in mind.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:34 PM   #32
cgeis48
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9174
Last time we took our Montana to Alaska we found many RV parks could not accommodate 38' very well. All of the parks are overcrowded (CV-19 may change that) and very tight (rigs are very close together). I suggest you determine where you want to stay, determine your route, then call the RV parks in the vicinity to learn what they can accommodate. Alaska is an amazing way to spend a summer. Make your reservations early, skip the highway to Chicken, Alaska.
cgeis48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:06 PM   #33
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Do not trust any manufacture's specs. They are not right. I have no idea where they get there #s from.

As for length, I look at it this way, if your unit was to be put in a box, what is the smallest box it would fit into.

Keystones specs or our 3455sa are 37 foot 4 inches. I measured it with a tape and its 38 foot 11 inches from tip of pin box to rear of ladder.

Some of the specs say its 13 foot 4 tall. Its only 12 foot 10
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:03 PM   #34
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Every summer except this one we spend about 3 months in our 34'er traveling this great country. We truly like each other so it's been fine for us. I do however want to step up to a 36' er just because. Ours is a 2360 RL but it's a 03 model
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:37 AM   #35
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
I am not a full timer yet..maybe a month at at time. But the 385Br montana High Country 40.8 feet gives me an extra room (actual room with a door).also has full size refrigerator of major importance unless you like to food shop every 3 days.

i use the extra room that comes with a built in desk as an office .
My laptop on the desk and printer and scanner in the cabinet above.

before this 5th wheel my wife always complained that i never put the computer stuff off the kitchen table...

The extra room also has a sleeper for guests .

Best part is it is not clostrophobic and while she is watching her soaps i cann close the door and play on the montana owners forum
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:42 AM   #36
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is best to take a tape measure and measure what you actually have to park the numbers on our 13 3402 were way off.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 12:14 AM   #37
BeagleMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27256
Wow! Lots of great info in this thread. I wish the OP had stayed a little longer. Kind of wondering what he ended up with and if he is on the road, how that is going. Oh well...

But, you guys provide great snippets of info here. Being a Space Planner for most of my career, you really know how to dig into my OCD about clamoring for campgrounds, parks, resorts, KOAs, COEs, and BLMs. Spreadsheets galore!!
And THANKS!

DW and I have been full time, albeit stationary for the time being until I can upgrade my TV. We came here in a 2019 Outback 260UML, great TT, but it was apparent that we are loving this life far better than the potential house we were set on buying. So, after 2-3 months, we reneged on the house purchase and traded in for a 2021 Montana 3763BP and the first month has been delightful to live in. It is a 41 footer and I am sure we will have some limitations along the way. But, through you guys here, I am sure our journey in this full time life will run as smooth as it can.

AC
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:39 AM   #38
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
When we were looking to purchase back in 2017 we looked between 34’ to 40’ and went with a 3160RL 35.5, the carry capacity was key for us and there is plenty of room for us two, Large lab and cat.

We use ours for vacationing and mostly live in it because I travel all over for work.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:19 AM   #39
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
It is best to take a tape measure and measure what you actually have to park the numbers on our 13 3402 were way off.
Add on...The 13 3402 measured in at 40 feet 2 inches that is what we have to park. The truck is another 22 feet, 08 F350 diesel, long bed, Crew cab Dually. When hooked up that turns into 54 feet.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote