Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > COVID-19 Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2020, 11:58 AM   #1
mjlbj01

M.O.C. #24909
New Mexico Travel

Just want to mention traveling into New Mexico. They have a 14 day or time of stay quarantine requirement for visitors coming in from high risk states. Although National Parks are open, state parks are only open to residents. We are spending night in Albuquerque no problem but had to cancel our Carlsbad stay. I requested a no fee cancellation due to their restrictions...still waiting to hear back on that. Just make sure everyone checks state requirements where they go. We had no problems though in Texas, Colorado, Utah, or Arizona.

mjlbj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 01:11 PM   #2
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlbj01 View Post
Just want to mention traveling into New Mexico. They have a 14 day or time of stay quarantine requirement for visitors coming in from high risk states. Although National Parks are open, state parks are only open to residents. We are spending night in Albuquerque no problem but had to cancel our Carlsbad stay. I requested a no fee cancellation due to their restrictions...still waiting to hear back on that. Just make sure everyone checks state requirements where they go. We had no problems though in Texas, Colorado, Utah, or Arizona.
We lived in Carlsbad, New Mexico for 1.5 years due to work. The people there are very nice but there is absolutely NOTHING about the state I would have anything to do with again!!! The desert sucks, no water no shade nothing to do but roast!!! So happy that other than visiting our grandkids, we will never have to spend time in that awful state again!!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 02:49 PM   #3
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
We spent a week in Red River NM the first part of August. No one there gave a hoot about any quarantine. As a matter of fact their mayor was on national TV saying that they thrived on tourism and would not be enforcing the quarantine. Masked were required to go in any business and crowded areas.
While I agree with mtlakejim that southern NM would be a harsh place to live, Carlsbad Caverns, the white sands, and Roswell are all interesting places to visit. Just not in the heat of summer. The mountains in North East NM however, are a great place to be in the sweltering summer!
Old 09-08-2020, 03:32 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We, on the other hand, love NM and have our winter home base there. The desert is not a place to spend the summer, but we find plenty to do there in the winter and love the mountains when the desert gets too hot. The state has done their best to control the virus and are in much better condition than their neighbors which is why they are trying to keep it that way. With both the regular flu and covid both coming in the fall, they're just trying to keep ahead of it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:47 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Every body thinks where they live is the best place in the world to live. I’m sorry for everyone else I know I live in the best place in the world. If you don’t believe it just ask me.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 04:28 PM   #6
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Every body thinks where they live is the best place in the world to live. I’m sorry for everyone else I know I live in the best place in the world. If you don’t believe it just ask me.
Lynwood

^^^^I think this is true. We like, or accept, what we are used to. I grew up in SE NM and loved it; not because it was pretty but because the bird hunting was so good. I grew to like the desert and the sand hills. But, I always wanted to be in trees and by water, in the mountains by a stream....all those things that weren't in SE NM so we constantly went to the mountains, lakes and streams in other places. Eventually I owned 4 homes in various places that had different draws for us. When you get older the maintenance becomes a real aggravation so sold them all but the main house and got a bigger RV. Now we can go see what we want when we want - sort of the best of all worlds....and NO MTCE. EXPENSE!!! Life would be really boring if we all liked and did the same things....maybe even frustrating.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:43 PM   #7
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Just for clarity. DQDick was our next door neighbor in New Mexico. He is a great guy. The vast majority of New Mexicans are very nice folks. They just live in a terrible environment. The summers are triple digits for about 3 months straight and it doesn't get below about 80 at night. That wore out both of our roof units in the 1.5 years we were there. There is very little rainfall and water shortages/rationing is a very real possibility (the park keeps a real keen eye on everyone about water usage). There is zero shade and when the wind is blowing it is carrying dust. As in dust storms are a very real thing and fairly frequent. Anything you might want to see or visit (IE: white sands, Carlsbad caverns or the mountains) are at least an hour or more away. When your not in the mountains your baking in the sun. And don't give me that well its a dry heat. 110 with no shade and dust is still hell on earth!!

IF you have the luxury of having a summer home elsewhere and just staying there in the winter then ok I guess (although it is still a nearly barren wasteland desert). Some folks like it but I don't get the attraction.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:29 AM   #8
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
wow some people sure have a positive attitude towards what where and how we all live! Not sure I would want to live by them whether it was in new mexico or bee branch Not saying who it may be have a wonderful day, and stay out of the sun
al meyer
3931fb
in that nasty state of az
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:03 AM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I don’t know what all of this is about. Just to settle things, we live in the best place in the world. We have mountains a little bit of flat land not too hot or too cold. Now it’s settled.
Lynwood
Old 09-09-2020, 12:05 PM   #10
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Lynwood
Lol! You must live in Texas!!!😎
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:41 PM   #11
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I have lived in the Phoenix area since 1986. So I know heat. Early on I went to play golf in the summer. It was 113. First hole there was a slight breeze, so with a cart and it's shade things were good. At 2nd hole people were slow so we had to wait. Wind died down and it was HOT. At that point my cutoff temp for golf became 110. I think now it may be 105 but I don't play much, if at all.

The reason I live here tho, is I am cold blooded. Now my problem is getting too cold in the air conditioned stores and movie theaters!!! Winters are great. We leave town for the summer to the mountains and midwest for relatives.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:50 PM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I saw LA was 121 yesterday.
I don’t know how you could survive that.
Lynwood
Old 09-09-2020, 03:02 PM   #13
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The mountains of northeast New Mexico are really nice. Even have two pretty nice ski areas. And even the mountains just west of Carlsbad and Roswell are nice. You just need a little elevation and moisture which the desert areas don't have. Last trip out to Carlsbad and returning home to Texas there were areas of the highway where we had to slow down due to sand drifts (similar to snow drifts) across the highway.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:20 PM   #14
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
I feel a need to chime in with my $.02 worth at this point.

We own (and use) 3 different 5ers. Our main base in Georgetown TX is where our Mobile Suites is semi permanent. Our travel rig, the Montana, sits in the storage at our Rv park in Georgetown which we use to get out of central Texas in the late spring through the early fall. We enjoy the northern states during that time period. Our third 5er is an OLD Prowler we purchased new in 1998 which sits on 10 acres of land we own outside Ruidoso NM. That is where we are presently. We also have a long term lease on a home in central Mexico where we live normally from mid November to mid March, or so.
We are blessed to have a lot of options and we have chosen to take as many of them as we can! Living in a fiver is a great way to save money and see the US.
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:36 PM   #15
azeagleye
Established Member

M.O.C. #22231
Quarantine?

We spent three days outside of Sante Fe in early August. No one including the campground even hinted of a quarantine requirement.
azeagleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:22 PM   #16
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
I spent day before yesterday in NM discussing some of these issues with folks I know (and to get a couple of cases of roasted Hatch green chilis ). By and large the only things you will encounter are the forced closures of some locations by the governor. Maybe in the metro areas (SF/Albq/LC) there might be ripple effects from her orders but other than that they said most folks there ignore her. Maybe not good advice for a traveler coming through to follow without a little caution but I went in, around and out without any issues.

Masks are mandated when "in public" whatever that means. When driving and walking in parking areas etc. I did not wear a mask...and most didn't. Going into a store I did. Some didn't but most did.....about like anywhere else I've been. For whatever it's worth...
Old 09-13-2020, 08:09 PM   #17
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahdmeyer View Post
wow some people sure have a positive attitude towards what where and how we all live! Not sure I would want to live by them whether it was in new mexico or bee branch Not saying who it may be have a wonderful day, and stay out of the sun
al meyer
3931fb
in that nasty state of az
I did say the PEOPLE were nice. I just don't like the desert! If you like then great, not everyone is going to like the same thing. But as I said, I don't get the attraction of the desert. Ok if you do, enjoy.

One thing for sure being stuck anywhere you don't like due to work is vastly different from being able to move around freely to take advantage of different climates.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:13 PM   #18
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron B View Post
I feel a need to chime in with my $.02 worth at this point.

We own (and use) 3 different 5ers. Our main base in Georgetown TX is where our Mobile Suites is semi permanent. Our travel rig, the Montana, sits in the storage at our Rv park in Georgetown which we use to get out of central Texas in the late spring through the early fall. We enjoy the northern states during that time period. Our third 5er is an OLD Prowler we purchased new in 1998 which sits on 10 acres of land we own outside Ruidoso NM. That is where we are presently. We also have a long term lease on a home in central Mexico where we live normally from mid November to mid March, or so.
We are blessed to have a lot of options and we have chosen to take as many of them as we can! Living in a fiver is a great way to save money and see the US.
Being able to move around and get out of the heat during the summer makes a BIG difference in your perspective. We were stuck in the desert due to work thru the summer and it was a living hell. We did enjoy our occasional trips to Ruidoso but could not move there as it would have been too far away from the office. I really liked the people of New Mexico just not the desert (particularly in the summer).
Old 09-13-2020, 08:57 PM   #19
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Just as a reference; Carlsbad and the surrounding area is not a desert - more semi arid. I've walked, drove, hunted and had great times out there. Hot? Absolutely compared to some other places. Compared to more severe climes, not so much. If you want a desert, a mild one would be the Chihuahuan desert between Carlsbad and El Paso. Nothing like the surroundings of Carlsbad.

Forced to be there for work, forced to be in an environment that you don't like or not used to, not there to try to appreciate what it offers - it's understandable but, like being on the coast for folks that don't like water; sitting in a metroplex city and hating every minute; ....the list is endless of what "one" may like or not. It doesn't make it the end of the world for the next person that might have a different perspective. JMO
Old 09-13-2020, 09:09 PM   #20
mjlbj01

M.O.C. #24909
We have stayed there before ...the governor is hurting tourism though as far as I’m concerned...we follow state guidelines wherever we go and expect the sites to do the same..
mjlbj01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quarantine