Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2020, 12:31 PM   #1
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
Full Time: Fifth Wheel vs. Diesel Pusher

I had a hard time picking a forum to put this in and I chose this one.

Anyone here come from a diesel pusher to a fifth wheel? Pros and cons?

We bought our Montana High Country with the intention of living in it when the house sold. 2 years later and haven't even put the house up for sale yet but it's coming. So far I've lived in it most of 2 years for work, coming home on weekends. It's fine, nothing wrong with my experience. Also we took it to Florida last winter and spent a few months.

My Dad bought a diesel pusher, a 2007 Monaco Camelot 42pdq with 43,000 miles. He died last year and it's sat. Some thieves stole the batteries out of it and I've been working on it for Mom so she can sell it. I have other things to do to it since it's been sitting. I'm kind of in a time bind with it because we're leaving for Florida in 2 weeks.

Anyway the longer I spend around it the more I want it. It seems so easy to just pull in a rest area, walk to the back and go to bed. This is impossible with my Montana and the MorRyde steps, it's obvious I've settled in when I drop them out. Also always scared someone will pull too close to me and run over them. Also could just stop and use my own bathroom instead of walking into the rest area with a motorhome.

I've got 3 campground sites reserved for our upcoming Florida trip just in getting there. Clarksville Tn, Cartersville GA, and Lake City FL, then on to our yearly lease. I figure motorhome would negate that unless I just chose to do it.

I realize I've put a lot of words out here and said very little. But I'd like people's experiences and opinions.

Old 11-22-2020, 01:06 PM   #2
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
I had a hard time picking a forum to put this in and I chose this one.

Anyone here come from a diesel pusher to a fifth wheel? Pros and cons?

We bought our Montana High Country with the intention of living in it when the house sold. 2 years later and haven't even put the house up for sale yet but it's coming. So far I've lived in it most of 2 years for work, coming home on weekends. It's fine, nothing wrong with my experience. Also we took it to Florida last winter and spent a few months.

My Dad bought a diesel pusher, a 2007 Monaco Camelot 42pdq with 43,000 miles. He died last year and it's sat. Some thieves stole the batteries out of it and I've been working on it for Mom so she can sell it. I have other things to do to it since it's been sitting. I'm kind of in a time bind with it because we're leaving for Florida in 2 weeks.

Anyway the longer I spend around it the more I want it. It seems so easy to just pull in a rest area, walk to the back and go to bed. This is impossible with my Montana and the MorRyde steps, it's obvious I've settled in when I drop them out. Also always scared someone will pull too close to me and run over them. Also could just stop and use my own bathroom instead of walking into the rest area with a motorhome.

I've got 3 campground sites reserved for our upcoming Florida trip just in getting there. Clarksville Tn, Cartersville GA, and Lake City FL, then on to our yearly lease. I figure motorhome would negate that unless I just chose to do it.

I realize I've put a lot of words out here and said very little. But I'd like people's experiences and opinions.
No experience with a diesel pusher MH, but plenty with 5th wheels... so I guess opinions only here

But, might be helpful to share why we stayed with a 5th wheel even though we have gone from "camping" for a few days at a time, to "long timing" for a few months at a time. For us, when we researched lots of forums for 5th wheels and diesel pushers, it seemed that a lot of the choice came down to whether you valued the travel more (MH), or staying in one place longer (5th).

Other comparisons:
-5th wheels generally have more room, MH's are more convenient to setup and move around...
-5th wheels mean your daily driver is the truck, MH's mean you tow a vehicle of choice... either way, MH have an extra engine and drivetrain to maintain...
-5th wheel and truck are cheaper to buy and maintain than MH and toad.
-there some "motorcoach rv parks" that only will take MH's; no trailers no matter how nice...

For us, we buy top end trim trucks and are fine with that as our daily driver. So -for what we need- 5th wheel and truck ends up simpler and cheaper, and we put up with the inconvenience while traveling and short stays... (honestly with auto level and solar we find it is really not too inconvenient, but obviously can't match MH convenience)

BTW, I had to lookup the model you are talking about... now that would be a tempting unit for sure; might change my mind if I had that as an option

Hope that is helpful...

Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:15 PM   #3
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
I’m not a fulltimer, but one thing to consider is transportation when you get to where
you’re going. If you tow a fiver, your vehicle is with you already. With a Class A, you will have to tow a car f some sort. No real disadvantage, I guess, but you would have to license two motor vehicles instead of one.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:29 PM   #4
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I popped over to IRV2 just to see what people may have posted about your Dads motorhome, and there is a current thread where it gets high marks. I have never owned a motorhome. Always admired them and kept a thought in the back of my head "one of these days maybe"! I enjoy reading the motorhome threads at the other forum. I usually come away thinking my pockets are not deep enough to feed one of those things...not now (still working full time) and certainly not when I retire in a few years. I have no scientific evidence that a 15 yr old DP cost more to operate and maintain than a Montana pulled by a dually, but having owned several 5th wheels and RVs for many years, + 3 diesel trucks - I feel more comfortable with the order of magnitude problems that could and will occur, plus the cost of maintaining both. I am not a mechanic (wish I was!) but I have found that I can fix most things on the Monte, especially with help from this forum. We really like our Monte - but DW and I notice the big motorhomes we pass and see in the campgrounds, and we wonder if the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:40 PM   #5
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
We had a 35' DP that we sold to get the Montana. Yes, it was convenient to just pull in to camp and self level and go to sleep or use the toilet on the move for the DW.

We like the Montana because when I get there I have transportation, If I need mechanical repairs I can take the truck to a dealer or other mechanic and still have a place to sleep. With the DP your house is in the shop and you might not be allowed to stay in it while it is there. This was our biggest concern.

If the truck has a major problem on the road we could replace it and still get on down the road. If the Montana has a major problem we can still go home in the truck.

We did not full time but just looking at those who do full time and stay in the posh RV parks it just seems like 500HP and 8 tires and all the other DP requirements were a waste and we have more fun and campground flexibility with the Montana.

Some of my neighbors have Newell and Prevost and other high end coaches and they sniff at each other as to who has the best. For me "Homie don't play that game". IMHO
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:50 PM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Fish,

Based on your post, you sound like you have pretty much made a decision and now you are looking for justification. In other words, you are now second guessing yourself.

First, the decision is yours and yours only.
Second, you have been an RVer yourself for some time, and you already know the pros-and-cons of owning, operating, and maintaining both types of RV.
Third, you have invested your own time, talent, energy, and probably money into the repair of your parents MH. You have an emotional attachment to it now. That's only logical. And you have a sentimental attachment too, considering it was your Mom and Dads, and especially with your Dad gone now, it's even harder for you to see it "go".

I think you are doing the right thing by asking questions, but only you have the right answer.

What you do need to do is disassociate yourself form THIS MH and ask yourself, it you had the opportunity to purchase it from anyone else, would you do it?

Clear the cob-webs, and you'll have your answer.

We had an opportunity to go Motor Home and Toad, or Dually Diesel and Trailer/Fifth Wheel. We struggled over this for years. But we stayed with Truck and Trailer combination for the simple reason ... they can be separated, and in the long run, were cheaper than MH and Toad. Either way, we needed a run-around vehicle. MH by itself would never work for us. We've stayed with this set up, and just sit back and admire "the big rigs". But in the end, we are trailer people.

As an old wise preacher once told me when I confided in him about a girl I was considering marrying... he said, "Put your heart in the deep freeze and your head in the oven." I clearly had my heart in the oven and my head in the deep freeze. His advise paid true. 3 years later, I married the "right" one. That was 36 years ago. Absolutely the right decision.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 02:25 PM   #7
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I had a 38 ft diesel pusher and loved it. I could put it in some sites that I could not get our montana into. It was built on the freightliner chassis with the 350 up cat engine. It would purr up mountain passes and go down the other side at the speed you wanted it to do without white knuckles or careful brake management. It got 6-10 mpg depending on conditions and filling up the 100 gallon fuel tank was not for the faint of heart. I wanted to keep it for fulltiming, but the wife wanted a fifth wheel for its slightly more space. The overall weight difference of the f350 and montana means it takes less diesel to get places, but that also means you have to take more care in some wind conditions than you would have to in a heavier pusher. We came back from Florida in the winter, when we still had a house in Maryland, and had to drive through a snow storm with aboutv18 inches of snow on interstate 81. The pusher had no issues with that. I would not ever try that towing the montana. Travels in the montana as a fulltimers are good as we never see winter weather, but arriving at a park in the summer and waiting hours for the air conditioning to cool down the trailer when it is really hot out sucks. In the motor home, I could start the big diesel generator from the drivers seat and turn on the air conditioning to arrive in cool comfort. There will always be pluses and minuses between the two, which may differ between people. Good luck deciding how you want to go.
Old 11-22-2020, 02:57 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We chose a 5th Wheel over a motorhome for just a couple of basic reasons. First, we full time and so the additional living space is most important to us. Second, if something goes wrong with the drive train on the motorhome our house ends up in the shop (really not good when you travel with three cats). Third, we like to sit in one place for a while (we've already traveled over 150,000 miles so we like to stay and enjoy things) and that would leave the engine and transmission parts not getting the exercise I would like on the motorhome. With the truck, I just use it going to town everyother week instead of the car. It really boils down to what fits your lifestyle, what works for us isn't for everyone.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 05:25 PM   #9
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
I have not owned a MH but thought I was going to get one when I retired.

Have had trailers decades. Like, maybe sort of "love" them. But, when we retired DW said she had always wanted a MH. I said if that is what it is it will be a nice DP. That was 14 years ago. Started checking them out and she wanted to be able to do stuff inside while you travel; make sandwiches, potty, nap etc. In love with the "idea". So we ran it down to some model Tiffin, somewhere in the 500k realm "but we can sell it cheaper" per the salesman. DW got serious...and so did I.

That extra drivetrain/chassis etc. is going to cost money to maintain (not cheap). If you let it sit 6 months at a time even more so. The interior was not as big as a nice 5th wheel and they cost 75% less...no drivetrain to maintain or die on you. You have to have a toad that we would use for nothing else...another drivetrain sitting. We were going to buy it outright and I told her that was a TON of stranded money we were dumping into that we wouldn't use that much, require constant upkeep and not give us the space we like. She was on/off the fence so we went back and we took it out for a drive. I LIKE pulling trailers, I'm used to it; it's sort of 2nd nature. I hated that drive. I hated feeling blind and trying to negotiate that thing....and I didn't even have a toad on the back. We got back to the dealership, I handed him the keys and thanked him and told him there was no way I was going to ruin my retirement fighting that thing.

Lots of folks love them....and I love looking at them but the practical side of the equation, for me, always trumps the "pretty" or DWs "wants" (at least a few times ). In this case as has been pointed out, there is more to the story which may make the MH THE thing for you - only you know and best wishes on figuring that out.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:05 PM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have both, a MH and a HC. The motor home is a class C. I see advantages to both but if I had to live in one it would be the High Country. I think it’s more like home. Traveling it’s the motor home. You can go to the bathroom or lay down or to the fridge if you aren’t the driver.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 12:49 AM   #11
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
We have had both a motorhome and a 5th wheel. To me a motorhome is ok for someone who is on the road every day and has plenty of money for upkeep. If your like most of the folks I know and tend to either sit in one place for extended timeframes or are just a casual user then the 5th wheel makes a lot more sense.

Class A
Pros:
Easier to use while on the road.
Status symbol.
Cons:
High purchase cost.
High maintenance costs.
Lot of moving parts that can break and leave you stranded on side of road.
Requires specialized maintenance facility and you are without your home during repairs (not to mention difficult to tow to a repair shop).
Chassis limits interior living space layout and infringes on storage.
Requires a separate daily driver vehicle.

Fifth wheel
Pros:
More bang for your buck. Costs about a third of what a comparable Class A would cost.
Wide variety of floor plans (not limited due to a drivetrain).
Relatively easy to maintain. Most maintenance can be performed by owner.
Far more repair facilities compared to Class A.
Very few parts that would leave you on side of road if they break. IE: flat tire, bearings or broken springs are about all that will stop you from making it to someplace where you can park it (and even those can be easily repaired on the side of the highway). Speaking of flat tires, have you ever tried to change a Class A tire!!!!
Can be towed by anyone with a hitch if your tow vehicle breaks down (and they can tow it to an RV park so your still able to use it while the tow gets fixed).
Tow vehicle can be your daily driver.
Cons:
Slightly more difficult to use on the road compared to Class A.
Not quite the status symbol that a Class A is.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:09 AM   #12
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
Fish - The only way your going to know is giving it a go and seeing for yourself. You can always sell and go back to a 5'er.

That is exactly what we plan on doing. Our next camper will more than likely be a MH of some type. We have absolutely, positively no intentions of ever living full time in any camper but we do love to travel and camp. We've been at it for many years in Truck Campers, Travel Trailers and 5'ers. All three had advantages and disadvantages over the others. I suspect the same from a MH. We intend to find out for ourselves in a few years come retirement time.

I say give it a go.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 11:22 AM   #13
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
With a class A you may need another type of drivers license. Another thing is additional car trailer to tow the car. I have seen what a pain in the but it is to hook and unhook a car dolly behind a motor home. The truck is simple. Drop the tailgate, back into the hitch, hook up the connector and I can to everything start to finish in 15 minuets. I have a 03 Montana and I don't have any of the new bells and whistles. I travel with ours so we dont park it for more than 3 days then it's off to another destination. Having to hook up a dolly and load a car would be a major pain.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 11:48 AM   #14
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
With a class A you may need another type of drivers license. Another thing is additional car trailer to tow the car. I have seen what a pain in the but it is to hook and unhook a car dolly behind a motor home. The truck is simple. Drop the tailgate, back into the hitch, hook up the connector and I can to everything start to finish in 15 minuets. I have a 03 Montana and I don't have any of the new bells and whistles. I travel with ours so we dont park it for more than 3 days then it's off to another destination. Having to hook up a dolly and load a car would be a major pain.
No special license in IL that I'm aware of. Whenever we sell house, if ever, I'm moving my residency to Florida and don't know the rules there.

I'd pull our 2010 Silverado half ton cab and a half 4x4 4 down, so no trailer or dolly.

We like our Montana, bought it specifically to live in. I've discounted the idea due to finances since I started the thread. However I'm going down to work on it again after waiting for the 4-6 volt house batteries to get a good charge and I'm sure once I get near it I'll want it again. Not helping that every time I give Mom an update on my progress she says "Are you sure you don't want it"? I might have considered it before I bought the Montana and the dually but Dad was still alive then, we weren't speaking due to business matters, and he was asking way too much for it.

So many cool things:
3 heat pumps/ac.
Exterior tv mounted in the slide out wall (I have a 50" tv I use on the Montana HC in the basement).
Diesel heated floors for heat.
Monster generator in the nose.
Rooftop Satellite dish.

But we'll get by just fine without it.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:22 PM   #15
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
No special license in IL that I'm aware of. Whenever we sell house, if ever, I'm moving my residency to Florida and don't know the rules there.

I'd pull our 2010 Silverado half ton cab and a half 4x4 4 down, so no trailer or dolly.

We like our Montana, bought it specifically to live in. I've discounted the idea due to finances since I started the thread. However I'm going down to work on it again after waiting for the 4-6 volt house batteries to get a good charge and I'm sure once I get near it I'll want it again. Not helping that every time I give Mom an update on my progress she says "Are you sure you don't want it"? I might have considered it before I bought the Montana and the dually but Dad was still alive then, we weren't speaking due to business matters, and he was asking way too much for it.

So many cool things:
3 heat pumps/ac.
Exterior tv mounted in the slide out wall (I have a 50" tv I use on the Montana HC in the basement).
Diesel heated floors for heat.
Monster generator in the nose.
Rooftop Satellite dish.

But we'll get by just fine without it.

If that is the decision just put it in your head and the MH out with no looking back or thinking about it. Some of the sickest I've made myself (and DW) was going back and forth on some issue or making a decision and then spending lots of time second guessing myself only to end up back at my initial decision. Useless pain, worry and duress for both of us.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:12 PM   #16
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
we had a 2007 fleetwood 40 ft revolution 400 cat engine and towed a jeep wrangler before our 5th wheel. we have more room inside the 5th wheel than the motorhome but a lot less storage outside. as for driving and stopping, i was always driving but when we first got the motorhome i asked my wife to go back and make a sandwich for us. she did manage but that was the first and last time while going down the road. drove and rode good but any movement while driving is making the movement of the rv terribly hard if not in the front of it. nice if she needed to use the restroom but still very rocky ride while using the restroom. i had to stop when i needed to anyway and also we have a dog that needed to go out to. cons of motorhome plate in my state az are outragous as in insurance for one. maintanence if you do not do it yourself is very expensive. having a caterpillar engine, very few cat over the road dealers that work on motorhomes. for instance a head gasket i was told is about $6000 and a new engine rebuilt installed $35000. a lot cheaper maintanace on a fifth wheel. i did love my motorhome but the cost of these things kind of scared me. i love my montana and not sorry i changed. if you have a full wallet the mh is a great way to travel but i dont and the montana fits the bill perfectly.
al meyer
3931 fb
az
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:13 PM   #17
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
In the Nanny state of California you will need a special license for 45' MH. Then again you need an endorsement for a 5th wheel over 10,000#. A toad does not need a trailer unless it can not be towed four down.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:05 AM   #18
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Heck, I may as well jump right in. We began full timing in a used Montana fiver, then upgraded to a new Montana. Made the change to a gas Class A and then to our present 43' DP.

Here is the main difference IMHO.......$$$$$$$$$$$$$$....AND MORE $$$$$$$$.

My F350 towing my Montana got between 11 and 13mpg. My Newmar averages 6.5 mpg. So if you would travel 8,000 miles in a years time you would spend around $1,200 more in diesel in my coach as compared to a Montana.

Our insurance on the F350 plus the Montana was much cheaper that what we are paying currently for insurance on the DP and one SUV.

I recall getting my oil changed (with fuel filters) on my F350 for less than $100. Now I pay $750 to $850 for that same service on the DP, except for when the air cleaner is due then I go over $1,000 for my service.

It has been our experience that the biggest issue is simply the money differences. In 3 years we have been out of our coach for just two nights due to repairs. Of course the worry about that issue is always present. Along those same lines is towing and roadside assistance. You certainly are not going to be changing a tire on a 43' coach alongside the road. If you ever have to be towed then either get ready to dish out $1,000 to $1,500 or have an expensive roadside plan.

In a couple of years, if we kept our current coach, we would be replacing 8 tires @ $300 each plus 8 6-v batteries. That is another $4,000 to $5,000 in maintenance depending on the type of batteries.

There are benefits to traveling and/or full timing in a DP. It is great to stop almost anywhere for lunch, rain or shine, and be comfortable right in your "home". But for us we can do just as well in a fiver.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:05 AM   #19
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
To me (us?) it boils down to cost of ownership which starts with the depreciation as soon as you put your name on the dotted line when purchased. That cost continues with higher license plate fees, taxes (some states like VA) insurance, maintenance and unexpected repairs. A for instance, my wife fell in love with a 3-4 year old Prevost owned by a nice couple, and parked across from us for a couple weeks this summer. I dug out the used value, added in what I thought it would cost to own just the first year. That 'love' quickly disappeared. Additionally, that 43 foot 'A' actually had less living space then our 38 foot HC. I will say that a $2.2 million dollar new unit price for that particular model, it sure was nicer then our mid road HC.

Now, a 13 year old 'A' that may need significant work - you should add the numbers up. If it looks like a winner for your needs, then that's where you have to go.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:34 AM   #20
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Fish,

I'm not surprised at the responses from folks on THIS forum in favor of a fifth wheel. After all, this is a forum for Fifth Wheel owners. The bias, of course, is one sided.

There's nothing wrong with that either. We all like and enjoy the RV we choose because it fit's each one of our personal needs. Remember the old expression, "Birds of a feather flock together." And we have here.

It sounds like most everyone here is a 5er fan.

May I make a suggestion, if you have not done so already? Jump over to IRV2 Click here, create a user name and ask the same question. I think you will get a much different set of responses. Then you can weigh the balances.

It's just my suggestion. Birds of a feather flock together over on that forum too!

They are a friendly bunch though. I have a profile on that forum site too. It's not just exclusively for Motor Home owners any more, but the prime audience is Motor Home owners.

Good luck! Enjoy the journey!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote