Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > COVID-19 Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2020, 06:23 AM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Travel Plans ... what's currently happening out there?

We're looking to travel from central Indiana to Alabama on January 1 and returning back on January 31. We will be pulling the trailer and have current reservations at an Alabama campground for the entire month.

Doing some ad-hoc research, we're reading that the states we will travel through to get there have restrictions about entering the state if you come from one of the higher risk states.

We will be traveling from Indiana, through Kentucky, Tennessee, and then Alabama. And travel will be on Interstates.

So, of course no one knows the future, but under the current circumstances, can anyone give me information on what's REALLY happening "out there" if you have traveled between these states recently?

Are people traveling across these state lines without any problems? Or, are people being stalked and hunted down like wild buffalo?

Does anyone have recent travel experiences between these states? What was your experience?

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:39 AM   #2
FloridaFlockers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20649
We travel quite a bit between FL and AL and have a FHU site at our son/daughter-in-laws place outside of Dothan. AL is open but has a statewide mask mandate. We go to Ft Rucker for groceries and they also require masks in all BLDGs.
FloridaFlockers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:43 AM   #3
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
mUSt bE spECial

We were headed to Niagara Falls from Maryland last week. Campground that we had reservations with called and said don`t come Marylanders have been banned from New York. Gave us our deposit back.
Maybe next year at some point, but never was a fan of anything New York anyway.
I wonder if you get the vaccine and have proof of some kind will we able to move about as per usual?
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:06 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Best to make reservations. Our park here in FLorida is fully booked.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:42 AM   #5
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
We traveling from Ca to back home to Alabama and made reservations on all my stops already, we haven’t had any issues.

We’re traveling I-10, I-8 back to I-10 through Tx, La and up I-59 to 20/59 and then we take country roads home from there.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:10 AM   #6
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
We have a trip to Palm Springs, Cardiff by the Sea, and Malibu starting Dec 19. Governor talking of new lock down, so not sure about trip. So long as they keep RV parks open, we should be fine (I think). Staying within California.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:34 AM   #7
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
I have not traveled your route unfortunately but I have traveled when things were in "lockdown" the first go round. FL was prohibiting travel from some of the "bad" states and either refusing entry or quarantining upon arrival for 14 days. They had roadblocks on the interstate upon entry. We were asked if we had been "in" any of those states when we were stopped; as long as you said no you were good to go. Those that answered in the affirmative were sent to another line, a questionnaire filled out about destination etc. to be "monitored" by local law enforcement (wasn't going to happen) etc. Unless some states go to lengths previously not exercised I would just plan ahead, play it smart and have fun. We've been in AL within the last few weeks with no issues at all.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:26 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had travel plans for this summer that we cancelled . We did not go to our Florida winter property so here we are freezing and blowing snow in Northern, Ohio. Such Is life. We are not making any plans for travel at this time. We will see how it plays out. The truck is a lump of snow in the driveway and the Montana has a foot or more of snow on the roof...….
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:11 AM   #9
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We are currently in Florida. They are starting to use law enforcement to enforce some of the mandates. We were going to Arizona for the Winter Blast, but that is now cancelled. We plan on leaving Florida on 1/22 and making a straight shot to the mountain. We won’t leave until we know we will be snow free all the way to our house in Colorado. Our son’s in-laws are here with us, and she watched her Mom die of Covid on FaceTime. We’ll get home and ride it out until we vaccinated.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:49 AM   #10
Our3231CK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20364
Hi RichFAA! Stay warm, we made it out of Ohio mid December, straight down 71 to 75 all the way to Florida by Thanksgiving. Were just outside Panama City. Didn't have any issues traveling and our very glad we missed that snow storm. We were going to head west in January however, now all travel plans are on hold. Last winter we had to leave AZ in March when they decided RV parks couldn't keep non permanent residents. We don't want a repeat of that (Charlie Foxtrot) again. No one can tell what crazy ideas will become mandatory. Stay warm, were still hoping for a 2021 Rally in Goshen, IN
Our3231CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:15 AM   #11
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our3820FK View Post
Hi RichFAA! Stay warm, we made it out of Ohio mid December, straight down 71 to 75 all the way to Florida by Thanksgiving. Were just outside Panama City. Didn't have any issues traveling and our very glad we missed that snow storm. We were going to head west in January however, now all travel plans are on hold. Last winter we had to leave AZ in March when they decided RV parks couldn't keep non permanent residents. We don't want a repeat of that (Charlie Foxtrot) again. No one can tell what crazy ideas will become mandatory. Stay warm, were still hoping for a 2021 Rally in Goshen, IN
I live in Mesa, AZ and do NOT remember anything on the news about forcing out RVers last winter. I remember some western state (Utah?) not allowing reservations to out of staters, creating a big problem for people traveling home. But dont' think AZ did anything like that. Maybe it was just your RV Park????

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:42 AM   #12
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
I live in Mesa, AZ and do NOT remember anything on the news about forcing out RVers last winter. I remember some western state (Utah?) not allowing reservations to out of staters, creating a big problem for people traveling home. But dont' think AZ did anything like that. Maybe it was just your RV Park????
I think it must have just been the park; we were in AZ this spring and were not forced out.
And, being from Canada, the borders are closed so no travel options any time soon. In fact, it's looking more and more that they will not open this winter.
So, our new Montana sits cold and lonely at the dealer, while I get covid grumpy

Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:56 AM   #13
Elevguy
Established Member

M.O.C. #21345
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
I think it must have just been the park; we were in AZ this spring and were not forced out.
And, being from Canada, the borders are closed so no travel options any time soon. In fact, it's looking more and more that they will not open this winter.
So, our new Montana sits cold and lonely at the dealer, while I get covid grumpy

Brad
The Canadians down here are hiring a commercial driver to take rv over the border, then they fly to for instant to Plattsburgh and drive rv to Florida. It’s an option because you can fly here just not cross on ground
Old 12-06-2020, 12:02 PM   #14
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevguy View Post
The Canadians down here are hiring a commercial driver to take rv over the border, then they fly to for instant to Plattsburgh and drive rv to Florida. It’s an option because you can fly here just not cross on ground
I heard that. If you find out who they are using, I'd be interested in contacting a company to see about the options.

Thanks,
Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 01:39 PM   #15
Leonard R.
Established Member

M.O.C. #26577
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post

Brad
I hear you there.
Cold in Ontario.
Leonard R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 01:45 PM   #16
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Leaving on 1 month trip 12/19. Palm Springs, Cardiff by the Sea, and Malibu. Called all parks yesterday...all are open and plan on staying that way. One stop is at a state park. They are closed, and may open after 3 week closure, depending on ER availability in their zone.

Now the question: Lockdown prohibits un-neseccary travel. Would this be considered un-neseccary travel? We are going strictly for our pleasure!
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 01:46 PM   #17
davemitchell59
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23524
I'd be surprised if you have any trouble. My biggest concern would be with your January reservation. If they're willing to let you in, find parks along your route that are open and accepting out of state guests for overnight stays.

We traveled all summer and never had an issue. Early on some states were restricting camping to FT or long term stays. But, like I said, we never had an issue.

We're hitting the road after Christmas too. I'll be checking things along our route in the next few days.
2017 Montana 3731FL
davemitchell59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 02:07 PM   #18
cwalker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9730
In October we went Indiana, Kentucky and Tennessee and didn't have any problems. I had reservations for everywhere we stayed. Don't usually do that but things are a little different this year.
cwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 03:30 PM   #19
tom woodward
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25118
We took a trip to Colorado then New Mexico last July. NM had a 14 day quarantine but no RV park owner was enforcing it and there weren’t enough cops to do so either. Most people there thought the rules were ridiculous and one business owner gave us a bumper sticker that said “Our Governor is an idiot”. There was still and only outside dining but we went to Carlsbad caverns with no problems. The Alien museum was closed in Roswell, but not the gift store but we found one attraction open and that was enough. Today, who knows. The state governments aren’t happy until we’re all unhappy. A revolution is coming.
tom woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 03:36 PM   #20
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Thanks everyone, and appreciate all the comments. Keep them coming and keep it updated as January 1 gets closer (our departure date). So far, we are still planning on going. A few days before we head out, we'll call the campground and make sure there are no hidden surprised when we arrive and try to get a feel on how travelers from out-of-state are being received. We do have reservations, but were told we can cancel any time. So far... all systems GO!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote