Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > COVID-19 Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2020, 08:23 AM   #21
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If I was going to travel I would use a little common sense, be careful where I stayed cleaned my hands any time I was outside my truck getting fuel and only eat in my clean camper and go ahead and travel. It’s very dangerous out there with 200,000 a day getting sick so be extremely careful.
Lynwood

mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 05:56 AM   #22
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
We’re in Kerrville Tx and the park is open, no issues coming across any of the state lines from Ca. Same as others have said just take precautions and do not eat out even in open air in restaurants as we are still seeing a lot of people not wearing their masks just walking around.

We stay clear of those people.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 06:58 AM   #23
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
We were headed to Niagara Falls from Maryland last week. Campground that we had reservations with called and said don`t come Marylanders have been banned from New York. Gave us our deposit back.
Maybe next year at some point, but never was a fan of anything New York anyway.
I wonder if you get the vaccine and have proof of some kind will we able to move about as per usual?
First off, Marylanders are not banned in NY. That sounds like your park feeding you bull. However, in NY the county Boards of Health are the ones in charge so it varies from county to county, but no one from any state is banned.

Right after Thanksgiving we traveled from SC up the coast to upstate NY. No issues, no roadblocks, all Interstate. We drove straight through stopping only for fuel and restroom breaks. Brought all our own food. Everyone was wearing masks when we did stop and once you get to your destination in NY you are self quarantined for 14, now 10 days.
We left our camper in GA and plan to go back there after New Years unless the situation changes drastically.

I think generally when traveling through states there is not a problem. Just keep stops to a minimum and wear a mask when you do have to stop. Once at your destination there will likely be a quarantine period.

Seems the problem now is that government leaders are just trying arbitrary things hoping to flatten the curve without real science behind it and every state seems different and it changes from week to week. Seems a National policy would reduce the confusion but there again, one size does not fit all.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:34 AM   #24
vacationer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22355
travel

If you want to travel any where here in Canada you will probably have to have vaccine and they will give you proof card. So wont be able to go any place real soon.
vacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 03:23 PM   #25
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
We have travel from Ca to Mississippi where were at as of today with out one issue staying anywhere. We left Ca on 12/1

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:39 PM   #26
Bro. Paul
Established Member

M.O.C. #24531
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
I live in Mesa, AZ and do NOT remember anything on the news about forcing out RVers last winter. I remember some western state (Utah?) not allowing reservations to out of staters, creating a big problem for people traveling home. But dont' think AZ did anything like that. Maybe it was just your RV Park????
We have wintered in Texas Hill country and will head west end of January. Looking for any suggestions on RV parks in New Mexico (away from El Paso)
Bro. Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:03 PM   #27
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro. Paul View Post
We have wintered in Texas Hill country and will head west end of January. Looking for any suggestions on RV parks in New Mexico (away from El Paso)

What route and where are you going from the hill country? If you like cold weather and snow you can travel above the route thru El Paso but when you start hitting the mountains a little further N you can run into most anything.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:12 PM   #28
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
We have a trip to Palm Springs, Cardiff by the Sea, and Malibu starting Dec 19. Governor talking of new lock down, so not sure about trip. So long as they keep RV parks open, we should be fine (I think). Staying within California.
We decided to cancel this trip on 12/17 because one of the parks wanted us to sign the waiver below. We are under "Stay at Home" order.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CAWaiver.pdf (137.9 KB, 222 views)
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 12:20 PM   #29
Bro. Paul
Established Member

M.O.C. #24531
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
What route and where are you going from the hill country? If you like cold weather and snow you can travel above the route thru El Paso but when you start hitting the mountains a little further N you can run into most anything.
We are at the Vinyards rv part in Fredericksburg. We will probably head west on Hwy 10. Ultimately we will be headed to Calif. We would prefer to stay out of the snow.
Bro. Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 08:19 AM   #30
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
We left southern Illinois on Dec. 4 and got to our winter spot in Labelle Florida on
Dec. 7.
Stopped at Clarksville, TN, Cartersville, Ga, and Lake City, FL.
No problems. People with masks, people without masks, depended on where we were.
Left again on Dec. 10 to go back and get our box trailer and golf cart and immediately came back again.

No problems.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:04 AM   #31
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Thank-you everyone for ALL your input. To bring everyone up to date, we are still scheduled to depart Indiana and head for Alabama tomorrow (Jan 1). Based on everyone's comments, it seems with a bit of common sense, traveling between the states should be a non-issuse.

I called the campground and reconfirmed everything is OK. I asked about anything I needed to know before getting there because of Covid, and they told me everything is pretty good there. Nothing real unusual going on. She showed no concern at all. I think that's a good thing.

We're heading out on January 1, in the morning, and planning on driving a while to get somewhere in Tennessee for an overnight. We decided to just wing it Friday night and see where we land. I don't want to drive straight through, even though it's just a Google Map 8 hour and 2 minute drive. But we also got hit with a bit of snow in Indiana yesterday and I want to avoid the toll bridges crossing the Ohio River at Jeffersonville, Louisville, KY on I-65 even though I-65 is the most direct route from my house to our destination. Indiana interstates are still awful to drive, so we're taking secondary roads to the Ohio River, then cutting over and hitting I-65 South of Louisville, KY.

So, with at said, we're on our way. We're packing for a month, planning on laundry once a week, taking our work computers with us, and leaving the house to our son and grandson. (They live with us). Got the John Deere snow blower all hooked up to the mower, deck removed, and leaving one generator at home in case he has power failure when we are gone and taking the second one with us, since I really do not think we'll need air conditioning yet, this time of year in Alabama.

So, we're getting all those last minute "things" pack up right now. I've got the "outside" stuff to prepare for next ... check air in tires, get "junk" in the bed of the pick-up, hitch up, and wait for tomorrow morning.

All systems "go". Looking for a month of working R&R.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:21 AM   #32
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Enjoy the trip and ignore the hype. Common sense is clear, keep some distance and mask up inside. I just think of all those that would normally go in public while sick spreading whatever they had with no consideration for others. I think people are healthier now in general than previous years because of recently enacted precautions. I certainly wouldn't curtail any rv travels at this point.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:11 AM   #33
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
I agree with Montana. I have not experienced, or heard of, any conditions that warrant concern for travel. Just be mindful of safety precautions.

We are 3-4 hours from the AL state line (Mobile) so don't know their weather but here in the FL panhandle a front is coming in starting today over the next 3 days or so. Cooling down to upper 30s at night but the main concern would be the rain in the forecast. Be sure and check that out. Doubt there is anything to worry about but a quick last minute check wouldn't hurt.

Hope you have a safe trip and enjoy that month of working R&R!
Old 12-31-2020, 09:33 AM   #34
Cook-Den
Established Member

M.O.C. #21280
Hey all, we are planning to leave Pa. on the 2nd and head to Fla. I called to confirm our 3 month reservation at the campground last week and was told there were no restrictions at the campground other than the normal social distancing and masks. I'll be watching for everyone's comments and experiences and will post our experiences when we reach Fla.
What a Great site for information!
Great and informative members.

Any experiences on overnight stays at Cracker Barrel, Wal-Mart, interstate rest areas?
Stay in touch!
Cook-Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:58 AM   #35
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
I heard that. If you find out who they are using, I'd be interested in contacting a company to see about the options.

Thanks,
Brad
There’s a company near Montreal that does that. It would be less than two hours drive for us. We opted not to go that route, for two reasons. First off, it’s $2,000. Second, our government has a travel advisory to not leave the country. So we are safe at home, missing Florida.

There’s a Facebook group called Canadian snowbirds to Florida where this kind of thing is discussed a lot. I left the group because they sometimes get political.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 12:01 PM   #36
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Dutchman,
Good luck and safe travels tomorrow. We are expecting a wintery mix here in NY. Hopefully you won't see any of that. Enjoy your month of warmth in AL.
With Dr. and dentist apt's it looks like we won't get back to GA till the end of Jan. But we will get there.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:01 AM   #37
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Update:
Plans slightly changed, but not canceled.

Central Indiana got hit with an ice storm over night. Everything too icy. I'm not taking any chances on the roads right now. Even though it's currently rain, its freezing on everything it's touching.

I put the truck in the garage last night, wanted to hitch up this morning and throw our computers in the camper at the last minute so they wouldn't be subject to the low temperatures. But with this really cold rain and the drive way an ice skating rink, we decided to delay leaving until tomorrow (Saturday) now.

More than likely, if roads are good, we'll drive straight through so we can still arrive Saturday night.

So plans altered, but not canceled.

Hopefully, this rain will stop and go ahead and get everything hitched up and ready and head out early Saturday morning.

I don't mind towing on snowy roads, but even half a mile on solid ice is way too much!

I'll keep ya' all posted on the progress!
Old 01-01-2021, 09:43 AM   #38
Cook-Den
Established Member

M.O.C. #21280
Hey Dutchmen, Same sinero here, was going to leave Pa. this am but rain and ice changed my mind. Truck in the garage and all loaded up. will pull out tomorrow early, supposed to be 45 in the morning. Hoping to get to Mooresville tomorrow and then Fla. the next day. Total 1005 miles. Good luck and Happy Trails. Let us know when you arrive safe.
Cook-Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:38 PM   #39
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
New update.

We waited till about 1:30 pm Friday and the driveway was thawing out pretty good, at least enough I could walk around and not land flat on my back. So, went ahead, got everything together, hitched and headed out at 2:30.

We had a mix of everything. Came down Highway 9 out of Pendleton Indiana, caught US 31and jumped on I-65 near Crothersville, Indiana. Followed 65 all the way through Louisville and stopped at Shephardsville, KY for the night.

OK, so plans changed again .... but not canceled. We decided to go ahead and cross the bridge at Jeffersonville and pay the toll (by mail... probably $8.00 for trailer and truck), and decided on a motel instead of a campground, simply because it was getting dark, due to the late start and still spitting rain.

FYI, temperatures South of Louisville are 52 degrees here at 7:35 pm. That's about 20 degrees warmer than central Indiana.

We thought about a campground for tonight, but the camper is winterized and finding a park, setting up, and winterizing after dark was a bit daunting.

I checked Google Maps and we have about 5 more hours of actual drive time (according to Google), so with 2 dogs and a cat and an old fart that drinks gallons of Diet coke, we might make it to the park after leaving the motel in about 10 hours!

Hey Cook-Den! Good luck on your journey. I have a feeling your roads and weather will be a lot nicer tomorrow (Saturday)..... Hang in there! You'll make it.
Old 01-01-2021, 05:42 PM   #40
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
You fellows be safe out there. Weather is a fickle thing....