Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2021, 02:31 PM   #1
Sdexte
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24981
Campground suggestions

Hi all, we are looking for campground/RV park suggestions in Indiana and Ohio. We are heading from MN to FL in July and are going to be passing through those two states. We've have not traveled through them before so I was wondering who has and where they've stayed. I know I can use the campground/RV park apps and reviews, which I have been doing but sometimes hearing it directly from members of this forum is more dependable. Thanks in advance for your input.

Sdexte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 04:21 PM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Any State Park in Indiana is a winner! Assuming you will be driving I-65, perhaps the most popular and desired State Park in Indiana is Brown County State Park (and it is a nice state park). But any State Park, or State Recreation area in Indiana is great! In the last 20 years, we have stayed, (camped) at ever State Park and State Recreation area in Indiana, and we found no undesirable one. Each one is unique and has it's own character and charm. And no two campsites are the same either.

Just be prepared, Indiana State Parks and State Recreation areas are not known for full hook-up sites. Very, very few have full hook-up and they reserve like hotcakes being served to a boy scout troop. So, be prepared for electric only sites, using a dump station, and filling your fresh water tank from a common spigot along the road, designated for RV fill-ups.

It's a small trade-off for the benefits of camping in any of the fabulous parks.

Pick your route, get your map, see what's nearest your overnight spots.

Now, if you are just wanting an overnight spot, then you might want to check KOA and Good Sam campgrounds, and hundreds of private campgrounds scattered through Indiana.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 04:33 PM   #3
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
really do not know the route you are taking or if you are just looking for 1 nite stays. if it interests you could stop and take the tour at keystone where they build our units, we stayed in shipshewana which is not that far away, if you know or not that is all amish area. there are 3 or 4 rv parks around shipshewana one right in front of the large flea market right in town. of course again all depends on this crazy virus thing. we enjoyed the area but then again everyones taste is differant. either way safe travels. we use https://www.rvparky.com/ alot in our travels
al meyer
3931fb
az
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 01:14 PM   #4
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Go to Campgrounds/Across America thread, last posting, page #2.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 01:54 PM   #5
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
As stated earlier, not knowing what route or time line your travels will be; Shipshewana South CG is a nice easy in and easy out. All pull thru sites with full hook up. Shipshewana is not close to either I65 or I69.

If your route is I65, in southern Indiana just prior to crossing the Ohio River, there a is a state park, Charlestown State Park. This park is approx. 12 miles off of I65. There are full hook up sites, 50 amp service, asphalt sites. One of our favorite parks.

There is a KoA approx. 6/7 miles east on I70 from the I465 bypass in the Indianapolis area.

Brown County state park is very tight and not real big rig friendly. Again not close to I65 or I69/US37.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:41 PM   #6
Sdexte
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdexte View Post
Hi all, we are looking for campground/RV park suggestions in Indiana and Ohio. We are heading from MN to FL in July and are going to be passing through those two states. We've have not traveled through them before so I was wondering who has and where they've stayed. I know I can use the campground/RV park apps and reviews, which I have been doing but sometimes hearing it directly from members of this forum is more dependable. Thanks in advance for your input.
I'm deciding the route based on CG suggestions. I'd like to work our way across through Ohio and West Virginia then drop down through Tennessee, Alabama and into Florida. We are ultimately ending up in Pensacola Beach. We have 27 days and I'd like to do no more than 120 miles per day and do at least 2 nights each stop if possible.
Sdexte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:36 PM   #7
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
We have a seasonal site at Hickory Acres Campground, just outside of Edgerton, OH. It’s a great little park. Friendly people, quiet, rates are more than reasonable. They have a fishing pond, a pool & small water park for the kids. Only about a mile & a half off US 6, which is a great road to travel.
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 03:28 PM   #8
BrianMi

M.O.C. #26403
You can’t beat the UP of Michigan in the summer. Lots of campgrounds, although you might want to get reservations. Lots to see along the way also. Then just hop on I-75 south.
BrianMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 04:16 PM   #9
BeckCass
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22689
If you are going through Indiana, I would avoid I-70, at least from Indianapolis to Ohio. It looks like new pavement, but it is very wavy. We took it on our trip from Columbus to Alaska a couple years ago and it was not fun. On the way back we avoided it and took US 24 and 33.
BeckCass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 04:54 PM   #10
Gunny B
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23153
If you are traveling south on I65 I would recommend caboose RV Park. They have quite a few pull through sites. It's always nice to have extra hose or a longer electrical connection for those just in case times. If you are going West to East off I80 I recommend Potato Creek State Park as they have some good bike trails. Best time to reserve a site at the State Parks is 6 months out but it seems most state parks clear out Sunday nights and fill up on Friday night. Schedule your stop for work days and you should be good. Stay away from Tippecanoe though, to many trees in that park to dodge. The Dunes State Park off I 80 is also one of our favorites too.
Gunny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 05:08 PM   #11
Gunny B
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23153
Gulf Shores State Park is our favorite place to stay when in the Pensacola area. Your not crammed in and has plenty of space. Again get your reservations in. Too bad the fishing pier was damaged by a 2020 hurricane. Davy Crockett State Park was one of our road stops off of I65 one year and I wish we had more time there. We reserved a pull through right on the river or creek that has some history.
Gunny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 08:22 PM   #12
jerrytammy

M.O.C. #26381
If you like military history look for a RV campground close to Wright Paterson Air Force Museum, close to Daton Ohio.. Plane to visit at lest a day or two.. I've been there 3 times and love it.
jerrytammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 06:38 AM   #13
VagabondLove
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27665
campgroundreviews.com
VagabondLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:38 AM   #14
Rickandbetsy

M.O.C. #14089
I would check out Scenic hills rv park in miller’s burg Ohio in the middle of Amish country . Lots to see and do in the area we spent 2 weeks there last summer but have been going to that park fo 18 years now great Amish owners. Very Clean park!!
Rickandbetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:21 AM   #15
DoughertyAcre
Established Member

M.O.C. #20640
Northern Indiana

If you going across northern Indiana, I would suggest stay at Shipshewana South CG as mentioned - very nice place. While in the area I also suggest visiting the RV Museum and Hall of Fame in the Elkhart area. They have an awesome display of rv's from the early days until now.

Enjoy your trip!

https://shipshewanacampground.com/

https://www.rvmhhalloffame.org/
2015 Ford F350 (I love my truck !!!!!)
DoughertyAcre is offline   Reply With Quote