Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2021, 04:22 PM   #21
TxAg83

M.O.C. #28575
I bought the Boar Wheels with Axiom tires 3 years ago after 2 of the China bombs blew and I have been very happy with them. We have a 2016 Montana 3840 RL (16,500 GVWR). About 25,000 miles with almost no wear visible on the tires so far. A couple of observations so far:
1 - I don’t think I achieved any increase in fuel mileage with these higher pressure tires
2 - things bounce around a little bit more in the trailer than before, or the roads are getting rougher
3 - we live on a cul-de-sac also and I haven’t had issues with the tight turns. The old 16-80’s would almost roll under due to sidewalk flex. These have stiff sidewalls and hold up better but do leave more of a tire mark on the pavement.
4 - last month I broke a leaf spring and with the shackles binding up the tires were less than 1/2” apart so keep an eye on this, especially if new tires are bigger. I don’t know if the heavier wheels and tires contributed to spring failure or not
5 - braking seems to be diminished since upgrading. I had to up the gain a full point. Brakes have been rebuilt. Don’t know if the heavier spinning weight contributes to this.

TxAg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 06:35 PM   #22
glendodom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22698
225 or 245

Which Continental did you go with, 225 or 245?

After a couple trips please update us on how the width and height differences did.
glendodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 06:40 PM   #23
glendodom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22698
Did you go with the 245 or 225 Continental? With the 245 more width and height. Please update us how that does after a few pulls. Looks great.
glendodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 04:17 AM   #24
Frank64
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24370
Tires/Wheels

Nice wheels
Looks good on your RV
Frank64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 06:02 PM   #25
Mroe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23577
I think its all a crap shoot when it comes to RV tires. We live in Arizona and were in Maine when we had a tire go bad. Tread separation. The tires on our 5th wheel RV were Sailun originals from when we bought the RV and this was only our second trip to Maine to see family. Went to a good tire store and they said that most all of their tires were made in China. I was looking for some good Michelin tires like I had on the truck. I ended up with Trailer King, I got 14 ply RV rated tires. But the reviews I read on Sailun and Trailer King were very mixed. 50% of the people said that they had good luck with them and 50% said they sucked and had issues of separation. I also read that it's a matter of weather or not you happen to get a good or bad batch of tires. Guess I got lucky, had them put on and made it home with out incented. I do have a tire pressure monitoring system, as that's what let me know I was losing air. If you don't have one get one, they save your bacon. So if you are getting new tires, good luck.
Mroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 08:47 PM   #26
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Looks good>

Happy trails.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote