Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2021, 01:16 PM   #21
BuckandTeresa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24683
While standing in line at my RV parts counter, I mentioned my lube plate falling off, and needing a new one. The old professional trucker in line behind me said he had used the same plate gor many years. I asked him if his fell off, and he said when he bought a new one, he cleaned the contact surfaces and put on a few drops of superglue. He said it never fell off. I asked him how that worked over the grease? (When I first bought my RV two years ago, an RV service tech told me to put grease on top of the disk to stick it to the trailer.) He said no, never put grease on it, it gets too dirty and grinds on the metal. My next project is to get the RV home and clean off the metal surface and try superglue on a new pad.

BuckandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:24 PM   #22
c2itcliff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21599
Try using the small 8” friction disk. Had same problem with 12” friction plate before making the switch.
c2itcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 03:38 PM   #23
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckandTeresa View Post
While standing in line at my RV parts counter, I mentioned my lube plate falling off, and needing a new one. The old professional trucker in line behind me said he had used the same plate gor many years. I asked him if his fell off, and he said when he bought a new one, he cleaned the contact surfaces and put on a few drops of superglue. He said it never fell off. I asked him how that worked over the grease? (When I first bought my RV two years ago, an RV service tech told me to put grease on top of the disk to stick it to the trailer.) He said no, never put grease on it, it gets too dirty and grinds on the metal. My next project is to get the RV home and clean off the metal surface and try superglue on a new pad.
I'm not saying that this won't work, but there are some things that superglue does NOT stick to, and one of them is UHMW plastic. I don't know for sure if the slider plate that I have is made out of UHMW, but it feels like UHMW. We tried using UHMW parts and gluing them to a painted surface. Didn't end well, but never went into production that way either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2itcliff View Post
Try using the small 8” friction disk. Had same problem with 12” friction plate before making the switch.
This is the reason that I asked what size of disks people are using. I actually am wondering if the large disc does NOT TURN with the hitch, and is staying stationary. Then, the "teeth" rotate inside of the kingpin, and that's what is chewing up the teeth. I think I'm going to take my disc, take 1" off, see if I can get the fingers to hold it back on there, and try that. No sense in buying a 10" and it not solving the problem. That at least tells me whether my hypothesis is correct...
Old 10-27-2021, 04:03 PM   #24
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
I drilled 2 - 1/4” holes in the plate and the plastic 180° apart, countersunk them and then used 1/4” countersink machine screws to hold mine in place screw heads are just under the surface of the plate. Been on for years now.

Another thing that might help is not lifting the trailer when hooking up, adding stress to that disk. I try to have the trailer just above (1/8”) the hitch when I latch up.

Works for me.
Mark7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 04:54 PM   #25
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark7 View Post
I drilled 2 - 1/4” holes in the plate and the plastic 180° apart, countersunk them and then used 1/4” countersink machine screws to hold mine in place screw heads are just under the surface of the plate. Been on for years now.

Another thing that might help is not lifting the trailer when hooking up, adding stress to that disk. I try to have the trailer just above (1/8”) the hitch when I latch up.

Works for me.
I've thought about the fastener idea too. Not a bad idea.

As for the hooking up, with the PullRite hitches, it's recommended that you actually raise the unit slightly when coupling. I've tried doing it without, and they are right, it doesn't work at all.
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:26 PM   #26
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post
...........Is there some secret that others use to keep the lube plate on there, and is it normal for those fingers to get eaten by the hitch?
I have had lube plates last for 10+ years and my last one for 1 year.....so it depends. Replaced my last one from Curt (my hitch manufacturer) so will see how long it lasts.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:19 PM   #27
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
I just checked mine as a result of reading this thread. Mine is 10" and has been on since 2016. Two cross country trips plus numerous others, lube plate looks good and is firmly held onto the king pin. Guess I'm lucky!
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 11:23 AM   #28
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Resurrecting a dead thread. I had a lube plate from day 1 with no problems. Last trip out I came in at a bad angle and ripped it. Need to replace. Any recommendations?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=teflon+fi...f=sr_nr_p_72_1

Old 01-10-2023, 12:49 PM   #29
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
Resurrecting a dead thread. I had a lube plate from day 1 with no problems. Last trip out I came in at a bad angle and ripped it. Need to replace. Any recommendations?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=teflon+fi...f=sr_nr_p_72_1

Any of the usual 10" will do. IIRC, mine was a Reese and only because my local guy had one whe I needed it TODAY.. The unknown name stuff I've tried to stay away from.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 01:17 PM   #30
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
Mine is also a Reese 10” Teflon. Been on since the rig was new, only a year and a half and 8000 miles. Fingers still have a good hold of the pin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8FB13966-F796-4A68-930C-ECF4380F4865.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	336.4 KB
ID:	13911  
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 04:18 AM   #31
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I opted to go 12" and Curt on mine, since Curt was the only one I could find locally in 12".
The 10" was smaller than the contact width between the flat part of the pin box and the B&W Companion hitch I have. The 12" is about 1/2" wider all the way around, but it has worked fine for over 3 years now.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote