Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2021, 05:51 PM   #21
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I would find 2 studs in the wall three would be better and attach a 1/4 aluminum plate with screws and silicone then attach the gear housing to it with as large a screws as practical. Use silicone and you will never set it off the wall. Use a long plate because you will never see it.
Lynwood

mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 06:11 PM   #22
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
sounds like a good idea
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 06:13 PM   #23
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
When mine failed, some holes could take two screws and not be tight
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 11:29 PM   #24
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
The walls are only 1/4" luan. Keystone should have reinforced the wall here where the motor mounts are.
OP says there is a metal plate behind the wall.
Old 11-01-2021, 12:02 PM   #25
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
2015 MONTANA 3610 RL legacy... Our bedroom cable slide gear box stripped the gears..Had a new box installed at the dealer.. The installer mounted the cable blocks sideways.. When operating the bedroom slide the motor and bracket stripped out of the WALL! They put a piece of metal on the wall and then mounted the bracket to it.. Ironic.. the same time the Big Hydraulic slide went crooked and the gears below got broken teeth. 1200 later it's fixed.. Now it's in the shop AGAIN FOR THE STINKING BIG SLIDE!!Looks like they are REBUILDING the slide out.. 700.00 in parts so far... Im so fed up with paying good money only to have to constantly fix what the factory did not do right to begin with! From Broken leaf spring bolts, to black water tanks exploding to 3 slid out repairs... I don't mind Ceiling fans falling, or shower door handles falling Off or led lights burning out.. But the stuff that's breaking should NEVER happen...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 05:32 PM   #26
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
2015 MONTANA 3610 RL legacy... Our bedroom cable slide gear box stripped the gears..Had a new box installed at the dealer.. The installer mounted the cable blocks sideways.. When operating the bedroom slide the motor and bracket stripped out of the WALL! They put a piece of metal on the wall and then mounted the bracket to it.. Ironic.. the same time the Big Hydraulic slide went crooked and the gears below got broken teeth. 1200 later it's fixed.. Now it's in the shop AGAIN FOR THE STINKING BIG SLIDE!!Looks like they are REBUILDING the slide out.. 700.00 in parts so far... Im so fed up with paying good money only to have to constantly fix what the factory did not do right to begin with! From Broken leaf spring bolts, to black water tanks exploding to 3 slid out repairs... I don't mind Ceiling fans falling, or shower door handles falling Off or led lights burning out.. But the stuff that's breaking should NEVER happen...
I try to keep in mind that the good folks at Montana RV don’t make most of the products that everyone complains about when they break. I chose mine based on floor plan, quality of OEM parts used, and reputation of the company in all facets of the build and support. I had the luck of touring the factory this year and was very pleased with everything that I saw. Is any RV perfect? No.
Old 11-01-2021, 07:19 PM   #27
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
As with my trailer, and many of the quality issues brought up on the forum, it is the things that Keystone is responsible for that cause us grief. Not as much the outsourced sub components they install.
Old 11-02-2021, 09:32 AM   #28
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Jeannette View Post
I try to keep in mind that the good folks at Montana RV don’t make most of the products that everyone complains about when they break. I chose mine based on floor plan, quality of OEM parts used, and reputation of the company in all facets of the build and support. I had the luck of touring the factory this year and was very pleased with everything that I saw. Is any RV perfect? No.
I have had zero factory support. We have had several sob 5th wheels and non gave us the pain as this one. We have had factory support on a magna tek converter from
skyline. Keystone when I asked who made the rope lights REFUSED to tell us and only said, " take it to your dealer" .After a night's rain, our norcold said liop... meaning limit switch open. KEYSTONE would not tell me how to reset the fridge, only to drive 300 miles for repair. Come to find out a magnet reset the fridge.. we have had nothing but bad luck with this unit. The black molding covering the screws near the roofline disintegrated in 6 months..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 10:51 AM   #29
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Jeannette View Post
....... I had the luck of touring the factory this year and was very pleased with everything that I saw. Is any RV perfect? No.
Correct, no RV is perfect. The OP's issue was, however, one over which KS had control. The factory failed to properly secure the SOB motor to the wall.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:51 PM   #30
TAG51
Established Member

M.O.C. #17978
Bed Slide Motor Mount

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211029_162601.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	10503

As you can see from the picture (I hope), I attached a 1/4 inch aluminum plate measuring 10" x 4" . I super glued it to the bulk head with permabond glue (had some around from head gasket job), then drilled for and mounted 1/4 inch pop rivets along the perimeter making sure not to interfere with motor or chains. I then drilled holes in the bulk head where original mount screws were located, big enough to accommodate the bolt heads which replaced the original screws (approx 5/8"). The motor/drive can be replaced by removing their mount bolts. The plate is a permanent fixture.

I appreciate all the ideas passed along in this thread. They served as inspiration to complete this job. Thanks!
TAG51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
failure, motor, mount, slide