Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 01:48 PM   #21
HalH
Established Member

M.O.C. #26651
Don't buy factory brands for after-market

Please forgive me if I mis-interpreted your question but, if you are trying to buy after market tires for your rig, I would not follow the factory lead. My experience with Montana factory tires and note, I can't say for sure if my 2016 3711FL came with the Sailun brand or not, was not good in terms of tread life. All the ranchers around here use Hercules and put a lot of miles on them carrying heavy loads. So far, I have found them to be far superior. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck!

Old 11-10-2021, 02:19 PM   #22
Fishin2dMax
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20689
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvman View Post
I was just at my local Montana dealer and had a look at the just arrived Montana's. They have the Sailun 637 235/80/16 G rated tires. They have 5 fresh ones in stock and all of the Sailuns on them are plant MW. Tires are stamped 21st week of 21 and clearly stamped made in China. Not Vietnam. Thoughts?
I would use them, if the tire actually states "made in China" and tire code supports it was made China. I sent a letter to Sailun expressing concerns about all the reported tire failures with made in Vietnam Sailun's and ask if they still provide China made tires in the US. While they never confirmed there was an issue with tire quality at the Vietnam plant, they indicated the tires in Vietnam plant undergo extensive testing and quality standards verification. They also indicated due to the extraordinary global demand, they will continue to make trailer tires in China, but couldn't tell me which US tire distributor was selling Chinese vs, Vietnam made Sailun's. The China plant has a good history of quality, whereas the jury is still out on the Vietnam tire plant. With shipping containers backlogged for months from China, the Vietnam made tires were likely sent to help fill the extraordinary demand in the US. We will likely see both Sailun tire plants supplying trailer tires to the US going forward.
Old 11-10-2021, 06:25 PM   #23
rvman
Established Member

M.O.C. #23128
Took a chance and ordered 4-235/85/16 Sailun S637 tires from Walmart. $165 ea plus tax delivered. Arrived in good shape. Made in China! Here's the concern. Production stamp is 24th week of 2020. Surprised that Walmart with its "just in time" warehousing would have tires of this age in stock. I am inclined to keep them and try to get an additional discount from Walmart. Want to avoid the Vietnam problem. At $165 ea they were quite a bit cheaper than anywhere else and that includes free mounting. What do you think?
Old 11-10-2021, 07:12 PM   #24
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaine and Lindy View Post
Thanks for your opinion. The Goodyear issue tires were made in China, yet that was well documented. If you prefer Sailuns, buy the Sailuns I try very hard not to buy China made products. Thats my choice!

After full timing and RVing since 2005, owning many different brand of RV's, owned many GM Trucks. I have been there and done that.

Happy trails.
Your experience with Goodyear tires on Mobile Suites is vastly different from mine. Our previous MS had 4 separate blowouts which cost me nearly $10K. We too pulled our MS about 8-10k miles per year for 7 years. Our present MS is set up semi-permanently and we use our Montana to travel. I will use Sailuns over Goodyear any day and have many years of use with both.

Best wishes and happy trails as well.
Old 11-10-2021, 11:37 PM   #25
Fishin2dMax
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20689
I would take year old Chinese made Sailuns over newer Vietnam tires any day. I would always be wondering about the Vietnam tires. As far as age of the China tires, they were likely stored in a dark warehouse and not exposed to UV, so it really shouldn't have too much effect on the life of the tire. I just hope I can find Sailuns made in China when the time comes that I need to replace my current Sailuns.
Old 11-11-2021, 04:26 AM   #26
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin2dMax View Post
I would take year old Chinese made Sailuns over newer Vietnam tires any day. I would always be wondering about the Vietnam tires. As far as age of the China tires, they were likely stored in a dark warehouse and not exposed to UV, so it really shouldn't have too much effect on the life of the tire. I just hope I can find Sailuns made in China when the time comes that I need to replace my current Sailuns.
I agree. The UV rays are the real problem for tires and since these were likely stored indoors, they are probably fine. Sailun also gives a 7 year warranty according to their website. Most tires age out at 4-5 years long before the tread does, unless you have an axle or alignment issue like me.
Old 11-11-2021, 07:34 AM   #27
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaine and Lindy View Post
Thanks for your opinion. The Goodyear issue tires were made in China, yet that was well documented. If you prefer Sailuns, buy the Sailuns I try very hard not to buy China made products. Thats my choice!

After full timing and RVing since 2005, owning many different brand of RV's, owned many GM Trucks. I have been there and done that.

Happy trails.
I do know it's well document that Goodyear had many many tire issues with tires made in China , they were the Goodyear Marathons. Unless someone can verify that the G614's were also made in China , something I have never read, the G614's have always been made in the US.

I too try very hard to buy US, but on the other hand I want the best RV tire I can buy ,and for the past several years that has been the Sailun S637 .
Old 11-11-2021, 07:37 AM   #28
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron B View Post
Your experience with Goodyear tires on Mobile Suites is vastly different from mine. Our previous MS had 4 separate blowouts which cost me nearly $10K. We too pulled our MS about 8-10k miles per year for 7 years. Our present MS is set up semi-permanently and we use our Montana to travel. I will use Sailuns over Goodyear any day and have many years of use with both.

Best wishes and happy trails as well.

This story has been told by many over the years with Goodyear tires doing thousands of dollars worth of damage .

I am with you , Sailun over Goodyear any day .
Old 11-11-2021, 06:26 PM   #29
rvman
Established Member

M.O.C. #23128
Called into customer service and registered my concern about the "age" of the tires sent to me. Walmart customer service rep offered to exchange the tires or if we would keep them, they offered a price adjustment of $50/tire. Took the money Going to have Walmart mount them on Tuesday.
Old 11-11-2021, 06:57 PM   #30
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
I ordered 4 new Sailun tires from Simple Tire this afternoon. Or at least I think I did! Original order (online) went. Through fine. They texted me a link to my cell to confirm my order, etc. Link did not work. Several attempts to manually input the link address were to no avail. 45 minutes later after receiving an order confirmation and an email from my credit card company that the charge was made, I received an email from Simple telling me my order was cancelled due to not clicking on the (inoperative) link. Checked credit card. Charge is pending. Called customer service and after 15 or so minutes was finally talking to a human. Only problem was that his telephone headset was cutting out every other word or more. He confirmed that they would call me back to confirm order. 10 minutes later, I received an email stating my order was cancelled!
20 more minutes of dealing with their phone tree I talked to a human in customer support. Several minutes of conversation later and a few minutes more on hold he told me he needed to transfer me to sales! After explaining the problem to the lady in sales, she told me she needed to transfer me to sales….. I explained they sent me to her. After a few minutes on hold to talk to her supervisor she returned to tell me that she would be able to place my order and that she would need all of my and the order information again. After about 10 minutes of divulging my life’s information, she assured me that everything was taken care of and that no, I would only receive 4 tires and my credit card would be refunded for the initial order and that I would only be charged for one set of 4 tires.
Thinking this was all settled, I checked my email about 15 minutes later…… only to get an email from Simple Tire telling me I forgot something with my order and to please click the link. Clicked the link and it said that my shopping cart was empty and would I please put something in it to order!
At this point I shut my iPad off and opened a bottle of red wine and shared it with my awesome wife. I did not get an order confirmation nor any more emails. Other than one from my credit card company letting me know that I had a charge for 732.63 from Simple Tire. I was charged again…..

I might try to fix this tomorrow. Or not.
Old 11-12-2021, 05:55 AM   #31
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Welcome to 2021 customer service! Simple Tire does not have a patent on it. (My former employer has gone from best customer service to tied for worst with about a million other companies.) Never was a wine drinker. Resolved most my issues with beer. With the new customer service I have progressed to bourbon.
Old 11-12-2021, 08:45 AM   #32
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Wife and I started an afternoon happy hour. She normally drinks silver tequila straight. Or wine. When she has tequila I normally have Knob Creek on the rocks. Yesterday was her day to choose the drink. She chose wine…..
Old 11-13-2021, 04:20 AM   #33
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvman View Post
Called into customer service and registered my concern about the "age" of the tires sent to me. Walmart customer service rep offered to exchange the tires or if we would keep them, they offered a price adjustment of $50/tire. Took the money Going to have Walmart mount them on Tuesday.

In my opinion, smart move! You landed a set of China made Sailuns for $115 each and now you're set for 4-5 years!
Old 11-13-2021, 04:26 AM   #34
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron B View Post
I ordered 4 new Sailun tires from Simple Tire this afternoon. Or at least I think I did! Original order (online) went. Through fine. They texted me a link to my cell to confirm my order, etc. Link did not work. Several attempts to manually input the link address were to no avail. 45 minutes later after receiving an order confirmation and an email from my credit card company that the charge was made, I received an email from Simple telling me my order was cancelled due to not clicking on the (inoperative) link. Checked credit card. Charge is pending. Called customer service and after 15 or so minutes was finally talking to a human. Only problem was that his telephone headset was cutting out every other word or more. He confirmed that they would call me back to confirm order. 10 minutes later, I received an email stating my order was cancelled!
20 more minutes of dealing with their phone tree I talked to a human in customer support. Several minutes of conversation later and a few minutes more on hold he told me he needed to transfer me to sales! After explaining the problem to the lady in sales, she told me she needed to transfer me to sales….. I explained they sent me to her. After a few minutes on hold to talk to her supervisor she returned to tell me that she would be able to place my order and that she would need all of my and the order information again. After about 10 minutes of divulging my life’s information, she assured me that everything was taken care of and that no, I would only receive 4 tires and my credit card would be refunded for the initial order and that I would only be charged for one set of 4 tires.
Thinking this was all settled, I checked my email about 15 minutes later…… only to get an email from Simple Tire telling me I forgot something with my order and to please click the link. Clicked the link and it said that my shopping cart was empty and would I please put something in it to order!
At this point I shut my iPad off and opened a bottle of red wine and shared it with my awesome wife. I did not get an order confirmation nor any more emails. Other than one from my credit card company letting me know that I had a charge for 732.63 from Simple Tire. I was charged again…..

I might try to fix this tomorrow. Or not.

If you end up canceling the order all together, there is another company that sells Sailuns at a good price most of the time. Try an online business call "Speedytire.com". Good company and good people to deal with. I have a positive experience with them and they helped me out when I needed them. Best of luck!
Old 11-13-2021, 08:28 AM   #35
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet4jdc View Post
If you end up canceling the order all together, there is another company that sells Sailuns at a good price most of the time. Try an online business call "Speedytire.com". Good company and good people to deal with. I have a positive experience with them and they helped me out when I needed them. Best of luck!
I did a quick check at Speedy ,and all they had were either the 17.5, or 19.5 . nothing offered in the 16" S637's
Old 11-13-2021, 01:51 PM   #36
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
I did a quick check at Speedy ,and all they had were either the 17.5, or 19.5 . nothing offered in the 16" S637's

Call them on Monday. Bet they can get them for you!
Old 11-13-2021, 07:24 PM   #37
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I still have 4 Sailuns less than 2,000 miles, if you need them and are near exit #143 off I-40 in Tennessee you can have them for $400.00.

Happy trails.
Old 11-14-2021, 01:22 PM   #38
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
We avoid anything "MADE IN CHINA". We will look for alternatives or buy nothing..
Old 11-14-2021, 03:32 PM   #39
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
We avoid anything "MADE IN CHINA". We will look for alternatives or buy nothing..
I would challenge anyone to build out a computer and networking system to connect to this forum that avoided all components made in China.

I remember when I was young that "MADE IN JAPAN" meant junk. My kids hear that and think I have no idea... now made in Japan is associated with some of the highest quality manufacturing in the world. Times are changing; today, while much of the Made in China products may be junk, there is an increasing amount of luxury and quality items made there. (Apple products, anyone? Lenovo? Nikon? ... or do you have an LCD screen in your monitor or TV? ... the list is getting longer).

Back to the point - Sailuns that are made in China have taken over a lot of market share from the traditional brands, especially with commercial truckers. Yes, they want to save money on tire purchases, but they also know the cost of tire failures on the road. They would not buy made in China Sailun tires if they were junk; in fact you won't find the "no name" Chinese brands on commercial rigs.

IMHO, "Made in China" is not at all as black and white as you make it seem, and your advice to "avoid or buy nothing" is actually not entirely possible.

Brad
Old 11-14-2021, 04:25 PM   #40
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
stale

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
This idea is really getting old. Try starting with that pen on your desk. Or the parts inside your computer that you are typing on.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
Closed Thread