Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2021, 11:58 AM   #1
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
When you have new tires installed.......

When you have new tires installed, make sure the guy behind the impact wrench knows what he is doing.

A while back I had new tires installed by a usually reputable outfit. Last week needed to put new brakes on. Though I know better, hadn't retorqued the lug nuts with a real pro high level, calibrated torque wrench. Phew, my bad. I needed my 18" breaker bar along with a 4 foot cheater and a good healthy lean on it to break those 16 lug nuts loose. In addition, one lug nut was cross threaded. I was able to clean the threads up enough to get that lug nut on and more or less torqued but have a new one ready to go on and am waiting an M14-1.5 die to chase the stud threads. This was the rear - the front wheels were removed and reassembled by a dealership a month ago when new hub bearings were installed but have to "assume" that they were not over tightened but new brakes go on the front nesxt week so, time will tell.

No way could one of those wheels been removed along the road, even with the usual long breaker bar I carry and the Ford supplied tool would havve failed

2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 12:29 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Got a better idea Dave make sure he doesn’t use one.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 02:19 PM   #3
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Got a better idea Dave make sure he doesn’t use one.

Lynwood

Lynwood - we meed new tires for the '17 Escape - and as a condition of sale, I will be at the guys right shoulder with my ratchet, 21mm socket along with my good torque wrench set at the c0rrect torque value (and they will NOT be $250ea. Michelin tires that are shot at 21K miles)
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 04:13 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Several years ago I bought a set of tires and in a few days I checked the torque on the wheels. It was on a car so I suspect the torque should have been 80 pounds or so but it was way over that to the point the threads had been stretched. The tire shop had used the right torque tube. I found out later if you hold on to these torque tubes they will way over torque your lugs.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 07:09 PM   #5
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I've seen knuckle draggers improperly use impact drivers way too many times. When changing trailer tires I take in two wheels at a time. I reinstall the first two while they remount the next two. Not to mention how often trailers are improperly jacked off the ground.
Old 11-13-2021, 09:59 AM   #6
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Yup on an older truck I had America's Tire rotate my truck tires and using an impact gun they broke a wheel stud......which I had to fix myself........I always do my own tire rotations myself.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 07:29 PM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I just put a new set of G614's and I jacked up the Montan and removed the Sailuns and replaced them with Goodyear G614's. I used a tork wrench to set the the lug nuts, I then torked them with a tork wrench after 50 miles I stopped and rechecked the tork, right on the money. I also had the tires balanced.

Over tighten the lug nuts on aluminum wheels is a NO- NO.

Happy trails.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 08:36 AM   #8
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
I've seen knuckle draggers improperly use impact drivers way too many times. When changing trailer tires I take in two wheels at a time. I reinstall the first two while they remount the next two. Not to mention how often trailers are improperly jacked off the ground.

here is what I have observed more then once in a tire shop , watched the knuckle dragger rattled the the lug nuts tight with a air gun, then take a torque wrench to them, and that socket never moves, just clicks .

They never get to see my fifth wheel, all they get to do is mount ,and balance the new tires. Like you I take just the tires ,and wheels to them , this last time with level up I took off all four , and used my small utility trailer to transport the tires, and wheels.

I shudder at the thought of taking my truck in ,its almost due for new tires ,I may do the same with the truck, our car has a hitch also. I rotate my truck tires myself ,they never get to see them again.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote