Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2021, 11:25 PM   #21
Wisconsin Retiree
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28036
I tow a 2019 3121RL with 2020 3500 SB SRW with pullrite Autoslide hitch rated for 24,000 lbs. (Heavier rating than needed) I have also have air bags to assist in leveling out. I have 22,000 miles on so far this year and cannot complain at all about my setup. Very satisfied with ride and weight distribution. Worst case scenario I was 300 lbs overweight on my rear axle.

Old 11-18-2021, 07:20 AM   #22
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
Attachment 10591
Shortbed ram 3500 sb using Anderson Hitch

Yeh it`s the hitches fault. This is like when you back into a tree it`s the tree`s fault. If your that stupid not to check as your cranking it around you deserve it. But that aside people can talk themselves into anything when it means you won`t have to send another $70,000 dollars for the proper truck to pull your new camper. Check the door sticker maximums, load up and get weighted if your over you need a bigger truck, period. But I will not carry water or load light and lie to myself and get away with it, right?
Their on here one post after another and tell you that`s ok sport been driving over loaded and doing it that way for years with narry an issue.
If your going to play you gota pay....... Your call
Attached Images

F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
Old 11-18-2021, 07:33 AM   #23
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
People get all worked up over this and have don’t know what J2807 tow standard is.
Lynwood
Old 11-18-2021, 07:48 AM   #24
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
People get all worked up over this and have don’t know what J2807 tow standard is.
Lynwood
This just means the car companies can`t lie to you like they did in the past. If you towed like they abused the trucks in the test how long do you think it would last, I would think just days. The test is on YOU TUBE look it up.
Old 11-18-2021, 08:41 AM   #25
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
Attachment 10591
Shortbed ram 3500 sb using Anderson Hitch

I know someone asked already ,but who is to blame here , since you added the hitch to your post, I'm thinking its the hitch that's getting the blame ???

I have said it many times ,and will repeat, its situational awareness . I have towed two different fifth wheels with the Andersen hitch with a Ram short bed 3500, shortest bed of the three for several years now ,haven't come close to hitting my cab .
Old 11-18-2021, 09:06 AM   #26
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
I know someone asked already ,but who is to blame here , since you added the hitch to your post, I'm thinking its the hitch that's getting the blame ???

I have said it many times ,and will repeat, its situational awareness . I have towed two different fifth wheels with the Andersen hitch with a Ram short bed 3500, shortest bed of the three for several years now ,haven't come close to hitting my cab .
Not wanting to turn this into an Andersen bashing thread but I ran an Andersen for a couple of years before I switched the Pullrite 2600 for no good reason other than I got bored one day. Never had an issue with backing BUT when I came close I "GOALED" (got out and looked) it`s your fault you broke the rear window out not the hitch. But some people want to blame an inanimate object for their stupidity, surly can`t be me. Must be what they tell their wifes so they look manly and on top of things.
Old 11-20-2021, 08:12 AM   #27
Flashracer
Established Member

M.O.C. #30102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
Many of us use a SB truck without issue. There are various preferences regarding the best hitch for that application. Some like the auto-sliding hitches because they work well in allowing you to back without worry, even if you're not paying attention to the distance to your truck. Personally, I just don't like all the added weight.

I've used the Andersen Hitch since we bought our trailer so IF we have a structural issue they would still consider my claim. So far no problems and I don't anticipate any. I've never come close to hitting the cab of the truck and prefer the ease of use and light weight.

Bottom line, it's very possible to safely tow and back your trailer with a SB. You are still the one who has to pay attention. The biggest issue is making sure you have the right truck to safely manage the payload.
Dealer mentioned Anderson hitch would void warranty . That’s what I have and it worked great towing from dealership. Too bad , I installed it last year. I ordered a f350 to use a slider with it, why did keystone void warranty with Anderson hitch. I did buy the lockout kit.
Old 11-20-2021, 08:36 AM   #28
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashracer View Post
Dealer mentioned Anderson hitch would void warranty . That’s what I have and it worked great towing from dealership. Too bad , I installed it last year. I ordered a f350 to use a slider with it, why did keystone void warranty with Anderson hitch. I did buy the lockout kit.
I think bottom line is protecting the bottom line. And it's not just Andersen. They are limiting warranty to only the standard 5th wheel connection or their Goose Box. I suspect Keystone is willing to consider other types of hitches but those manufactures have to be willing to pay for the testing involved to get them approved. That's expensive. So far Andersen hasn't submitted to that testing.

All 5th wheel manufacturers, including Keystone, struggle with claims for fiberglass cracks around the front slide. They are due to frame flex or frame damage at those weakest and most vulnerable points of the frame construction. The position that Keystone, and others are making is that different hitches change the angles of stress put on the front of the frame and therefore can cause frame damage and cracking.

Most of us with the Andersen Hitch don't believe that our application changes anything and that frame flex for 5ers is a long standing engineering problem that they are always working to improve but still has occasional failures...especially in the larger, heavier 5ers. I can see some adapters being an issue when they change the pivot point from the pin plate down to the truck bed like horse trailers. But again, different stress points require different testing. My own opinion is that the Andersen really changes nothing in terms of stress and that failures of frames on rigs that use the Andersen are really engineering problems or faulty manufacturing. But that's just me...YMMV

I'm not an engineer. But I do know that siding cracks and frame damage have occurred over the past many years in all types of scenarios, the majority of which are the standard 5th wheel hitch. I just think the OEMs are trying to narrow the field in an attempt to control testing and minimize claims...which costs lots of money.

Kind of a long answer but that's how I've seen the issue. Others may see it differently.
Old 11-20-2021, 03:31 PM   #29
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
2019 F350 Superduty, 6,7 turbo diesel, 2006 2955 RL. Tows like there’s nothing back there. Trailer weight is right at 11,000 #, so maybe not as heavy as yours. Previous truck was an F250 Superduty, no problems there, either, but like the margin on the new truck. What does your trailer weigh? Not what the dealer says it weighs, but actual scale weight, loaded and ready to go.
Old 11-21-2021, 01:26 PM   #30
dlent
Established Member

M.O.C. #15737
I have a 2013 F350 SRW Long bed 6.7l diesel with 70k miles on it which
I'm selling. Replacing it with a F450 drw.
Interested,contact me.
Old 11-21-2021, 01:42 PM   #31
jdwinks

M.O.C. #24545
FWIW:
We use to tow a 10k# 5th wheel(not Montana) with a Ram 2500 6.4 gas long bed. It was adequate.
We moved to a 15k# Montana and Ram 3500 6.7 diesel dually. The truck was very expensive but well worth it. You cannot put a price on torque, stability and diesel engine braking. I drive the truck daily and it is not an issue size wise. Is it a big truck--yes. But i would never switch back to pulling with a gas truck. We were hesitant to make the diesel purchase (our first) but it was worth it for us.
Old 11-21-2021, 01:46 PM   #32
Ttman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26744
Quote:
Just wondering if anybody tows there Montana with a short bed SRW TRUCK. My current truck is a 2017 F-250 SB 4x4 6.7 diesel with Anderson ultimate fifth wheel. Dealer already told me about warranty being voided with the Anderson hitch. I just purchased a 2022 Montana 3121RL and don’t feel I have enough truck for it. I haven’t even brought it home yet because of issues my wife found. Should be ready tomorrow. It’s 3 hours away and worry it will bottom out my suspension. I want to buy a f-350 SB SRW with a few bells and whistles. Any members hear pull with a F-350 SRW SB truck. I am stressed out thinking I have to have a long bed or dually.
Thanks
You should ask Ford a clarification question first. When I bought my 2009 F-250 6.4 that I still have, I made sure it came from the factory with the camper package. That package upgraded the carrying capacity/suspension of the truck to a full 1 ton truck contrary to the badging and 3/4 ton status, so you may actually have an F-350 suspension in an F-250 badged truck. You’ll want to do the research and numbers yourself, but getting clarification about your truck might help with your decision. My understanding at the time was a dealer installed camper package did not upgrade the suspension the same as getting a truck with the factory installed option. Good luck
Old 11-21-2021, 02:13 PM   #33
prfcdoc
Established Member

M.O.C. #18451
Same as mine

I have the same model Montana as you and tow with an SRW F350 (2018) and the Anderson. Mine comes in with all numbers within accepted parameters, but had to downgrade from the Platinum when purchasing my truck due to the extra weight of all the bells and whistles to achieve that. I’ve towed comfortably for 3 years in all conditions with comfort.
Old 11-21-2021, 02:53 PM   #34
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
2020 Ford & GM trucks

Quote:
Just wondering if anybody tows there Montana with a short bed SRW TRUCK. My current truck is a 2017 F-250 SB 4x4 6.7 diesel with Anderson ultimate fifth wheel. Dealer already told me about warranty being voided with the Anderson hitch. I just purchased a 2022 Montana 3121RL and don’t feel I have enough truck for it. I haven’t even brought it home yet because of issues my wife found. Should be ready tomorrow. It’s 3 hours away and worry it will bottom out my suspension. I want to buy a f-350 SB SRW with a few bells and whistles. Any members hear pull with a F-350 SRW SB truck. I am stressed out thinking I have to have a long bed or dually.
Thanks

The 2020 and later Ford /General Motors HD trucks have increased load and tow capacities compared to previous years. An added bonus is the 10 speed transmission co-developed by Ford and GM. I love my SRW 2020 F-350 short wheel base. I added air lift bags to manage ride height of truck, when towing. 3 friends have SRW GMC 3500 HD SWB trucks that are 2020 and 2022 and they are happy with their rigs as well. All of us are using the Andersen Ultimate hitch.
Old 11-21-2021, 03:01 PM   #35
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Pulled a 3761 FL with a 2017 F350 SB SRW with a B&W Patriot 18K slider. Always over payload by 500 - 1100#. Only needed the slider 4 times, once leaving a pull through site. Bought a 2019 F350 LB dually. Now 14K GVWR and 4598 PL. No weight concerns even with an aux fuel tank. My daily driver and as long as I'm towing I'll not change.
Old 11-21-2021, 03:04 PM   #36
Rhortie1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26252
I went to a towing seminar at the RV show in Hershey, PA before buying my truck and RV. GMC dually and 2020 3120rl. It’s estimated that 85% of the fifth wheel RVs on the road are overloading the truck pulling them. I was also told that an insurance company can deny a claim if you are ever in an accident and found to be over loaded. I never checked with Progressive Ins to find out , I just did the math as see on YouTube and bought a dually. Better to have too much than not enough. Good luck & happy camping !
Old 11-21-2021, 03:15 PM   #37
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Thanks
Your trailer is 16,350 lbs fully loaded and most of us are close or a little over that. Unless your truck can handle 3,597 lbs of total payload which includes you, passengers, misc stuff in truck like maps etc, misc stuff in bed like hitch, tool box. EVERYTHING added sine it left the factory is payload, even a coating of rhino. A LB 350 dually is what I would get but YMMV. Just look at the yellow sticker of any truck you want to buy, the payload is listed there.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
Old 11-21-2021, 04:11 PM   #38
jking
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20361
I choose to always drive a Long Bed truck. Never problems with hitting the front of trailer turning and they just ride smoother.. as well. Each drive what we like, ain't dat c
ool !
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 ctd. 4x4 srw
Old 11-21-2021, 04:54 PM   #39
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
I tow our 2019 3121RL Legacy edition with our 2015 SB F-250. Barely over (50#) bed cargo limit. Fine with the total towing capacity. Yes, diesel.

I am not currently using a slider but am getting one next spring when we return from Mexico. No, we don’t tow an Rv down here. Have a long term lease on a house.

BB
Old 11-21-2021, 05:16 PM   #40
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Again I will post this. I ask my Allststate agent if I was over weight could Allststate refuse to cover me. She called Allststate and Allststate said they had to cover me. If you ran a stop light, drove over the speed limit, drove under the influence of drugs or alcohol they had to cover you. If you are in doubt don’t take anyone’s opinion get in touch with your insurance company.
Lynwood
Closed Thread