Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2021, 05:31 PM   #41
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
And that's that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Again I will post this. I ask my Allststate agent if I was over weight could Allststate refuse to cover me. She called Allststate and Allststate said they had to cover me. If you ran a stop light, drove over the speed limit, drove under the influence of drugs or alcohol they had to cover you. If you are in doubt don’t take anyone’s opinion get in touch with your insurance company.
Lynwood

Straight from the horse's mouth....that good enough for me! Thanx Lynwood!

Note: reference to horse is symbolic and not meant to demean or incite wokeness

Old 11-21-2021, 05:32 PM   #42
sq320ret@yahoo.com
Established Member

M.O.C. #27116
What is the difference in engines between the 250 and 350? You need to discuss your issues with your local dealer for concerns. Go to three different and talk with their shop managers. I pull a Montana 2393 with my 2019 250 diesel thousands of miles and an Anderson my only was the clearance with the higher bed. The warranty is with the trailer and gooseneck function. It is not the truck. If the Anderson is a problem they have a $5million warrantee.
Old 11-21-2021, 05:47 PM   #43
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
full of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhortie1 View Post
I went to a towing seminar at the RV show in Hershey, PA before buying my truck and RV. GMC dually and 2020 3120rl. It’s estimated that 85% of the fifth wheel RVs on the road are overloading the truck pulling them. I was also told that an insurance company can deny a claim if you are ever in an accident and found to be over loaded. I never checked with Progressive Ins to find out , I just did the math as see on YouTube and bought a dually. Better to have too much than not enough. Good luck & happy camping !
Well you were told wrong. Can`t believe the amount of miss information that comes out of this forum, it must be the new people. I`m married to an insurance adjuster well she was until she retired and your insurance company has to pay for your stupidity. Even if you tow a 5th wheel camper full of bricks with a Ford Ranger. The only time they wont pay is if in commission of a crime , act of war, a couple of other things If you don`t believe this don`t call your insurance company call your insurance commissioner office their the ones that write the rules for your insurance company trading in your state.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
Old 11-21-2021, 06:16 PM   #44
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
Well you were told wrong. Can`t believe the amount of miss information that comes out of this forum, it must be the new people. I`m married to an insurance adjuster well she was until she retired and your insurance company has to pay for your stupidity. Even if you tow a 5th wheel camper full of bricks with a Ford Ranger. The only time they wont pay is if in commission of a crime , act of war, a couple of other things If you don`t believe this don`t call your insurance company call your insurance commissioner office their the ones that write the rules for your insurance company trading in your state.

We go through this every few months. If you are worried about your insurance coverage go ask. Don’t take someone’s word. For your peace of mind find out from someone who knows.
A young man we know wrecked his motorcycle after being chased by the police at 140 MPH and all he could say to the police officer was “oh what a ride”. As stupid as that was the insurance company bought him another motorcycle. By some miracle he didn’t get hurt. He grew up and now is a fine productive citizen with his own business doing well. Who says miracles don’t still happen?
Lynwood
Old 11-21-2021, 06:31 PM   #45
HalH
Established Member

M.O.C. #26651
Hitch Considerations

I've pulled my 3711FL for 5 years now with a HD 3500 SB SRW; however, I purchased a side-winder hitch that pivots on the pin box and not the hitch. I've literally spun the trailer on it's axles with the truck and trailer at 90° or better without damage but I was going slow and watching closely. I don't think that would be possible with a standard hitch and SB.

As for the load, I've noticed the Fords tend to sit down more than Chevys when comparing 1-ton to 1-ton. Air leveling on the Ford should help. Best of luck!
Old 11-21-2021, 06:56 PM   #46
GregandAlison

M.O.C. #21297
I tow a 3790RD with a 2012 Chevy 2500. The suspension was upgraded by an engineer, providing more GVW and rear axle weight rating and a new yellow capacity sticker in the door jamb. Per the engineer, I did have to change my tires one size larger with a 3750 pound capacity each to carry the extra weight. This tire size is on the door jamb sticker as well. This essentially gave me within 150 pounds of the capacity of a SWR 3500 of the same model year.

I do have air bags which really are not needed, sometimes they get inflated and sometimes not.

I use a Demco 21k auto slider hitch.
Old 11-21-2021, 07:15 PM   #47
ssetw03
Established Member

M.O.C. #26669
Sb hitch

Hi...my name is Eddie...I own a 2006 Ford F250 6.0 diesel and tow a 2002 Montana 32RK...I actually had Montana before I even had "A" truck. I asked a lot of people here and elsewhere and decided SB was for me because I wanted 4 door pickup because of family and needed a good hitch. So many people 5old about SB hitches and I investigated many before I chose.
Here's what I chose for me and glad I asked and listened. I have been in a few situations and glad I had it....

https://www.carid.com/pullrite/16k-traditional-superglide-5th-wheel-hitch-mpn-4100.html?view=549063&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-eeMBhCpARIsAAZfxZDttosw1RR69iizWK3nXS0W7CWMBtW_Ad3 Bye9RCIr6bAJWWU8z-2IaAsuZEALw_wcB

I hope this helps....

Eddie Wetmore
ssetw03@yahoo.com
732-259-0858
Old 11-21-2021, 08:36 PM   #48
DaveK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23470
I have a 250 gasser, and I'm at max payload towing a High Country. The short bed works fine, BUT, the long bed gives a larger fuel tank which is very helpful.

While my truck does the job, I wish I had a 350 long bed.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:12 AM   #49
Rhortie1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26252
Quote:
Again I will post this. I ask my Allststate agent if I was over weight could Allststate refuse to cover me. She called Allststate and Allststate said they had to cover me. If you ran a stop light, drove over the speed limit, drove under the influence of drugs or alcohol they had to cover you. If you are in doubt don’t take anyone’s opinion get in touch with your insurance company.
Lynwood
Good to know !
Allstate in Rapid city, SD wanted almost twice the amount to cover our rig as Progressive insurance.
Thanks Lynwood
Old 11-22-2021, 07:02 AM   #50
Rhortie1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26252
Quote:
We go through this every few months. If you are worried about your insurance coverage go ask. Don’t take someone’s word. For your peace of mind find out from someone who knows.
A young man we know wrecked his motorcycle after being chased by the police at 140 MPH and all he could say to the police officer was “oh what a ride”. As stupid as that was the insurance company bought him another motorcycle. By some miracle he didn’t get hurt. He grew up and now is a fine productive citizen with his own business doing well. Who says miracles don’t still happen?
Lynwood
I’m not worried about it because I did the research and bought the correct truck. If I were worried about it I would contact my agent and have them show me in my policy where it states I’m covered and not take their word for it. I would never take any salespersons word for my liability. Sorry that this thread turned from towing to insurance. Didn’t mean to hurt anyone’s feelings or contradict their “expert opinion”. Have a great day folks and happy camping !
Old 11-22-2021, 08:24 AM   #51
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
My previous truck and current truck are both short beds. Have a Husky slider hitch that I have never used the slider in 5 years of owning my High Country. And I have been nearly 90 degrees and on some off-camber situations, and NEVER hit the cab, but then again, I am very careful. I am replacing the slider hitch with a Pullrite 2400, so I can lift the damn thing out of the bed without a crane. My 2020 Silverado has a bed length a few inches longer than my 2007.5*, plus the Pullrite adapter has a few inches offset to the rear, so I don't anticipate any issues going forward.

*If I am not mistaken, I think the current GM trucks have the longest short (standard) beds of the big 3. I personally will never have a dually or a long bed because most parking spaces are already too small, and sometimes the DW drives the truck.
Old 11-22-2021, 04:04 PM   #52
AZMont
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26281
I tow a 2015 3100 RL with a 2020 Ram 3500 SRW Megacab diesel and need to use airbags to correct about 1.25" of sag to be level. I'd recommend you use a CAT Scale on the trailer (Loaded w/water also) and vehicle and vehicle w/o trailer. That way you will know your true pin weight and can calculate if you are overloaded. My Monty has about 1000# more pin weight than the sticker when loaded. We have a lot of stuff in the nose (washer/dryer and a full lower locker). Our rig tows fine, although I typically stay at 65 on the interstates. What I have found is the newer trucks have significantly improved on what they can pull and is not usually the issue unless you have a really large rig. the vehicle cargo weight typically becomes the thing to watch out for.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:31 PM   #53
DCT

M.O.C. #26473
we tow a 3121 RL with a 2020 Chevy Silverado sb with a 6.6 gas engine, no problem. We use a slider hitch and did add airbags. We even tow a small motorcycle trailer behind the fifth wheel. On the flat we can Cruise along at 70 mph and get anywhere from 10 to 11 miles per gallon. Albeit, it does not take any kind of a grade to pull that gas mileage down to five. or less.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:41 AM   #54
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We had a Chevy 6.6, I traded it on the way to Florida, because of the gas mileage, I was getting 6 mpg. I was towing a 30' tag along. Today I'm towing much heavier Montana 5th wheel, towing with the GMC Denali, 3500HD DRW's. I getting 9 to 1- miles per gal.

I will say the 2500HO Chevy 6.6 was a great truck, yes the tork was not near a 2500HD/3500HD, had to run higher rpms to get more power.

We must remember towing RVs', especially the 5th wheels are like towing a large square box, at 70+ mpg.

Happy trails.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:52 AM   #55
DaveK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23470
I just take it easy and average 60 mph and average 9 mpg. Safer, no hurry, less stress, easier on equipment.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:02 AM   #56
steiny93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17461
I've towed the Montana with both a HDT (Volvo 610) and a Ram Mega cab 2500. On the long trips we'd take the Volvo, on the shorter stuff we would use the ram. I never felt unsafe or concerned in either.
Old 11-23-2021, 10:10 AM   #57
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I didn’t know Chevy made a 6.6 gasoline truck a 6 and a 7.4 but not a 6.6.
Lynwood
Old 11-25-2021, 12:51 PM   #58
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
Yeh it`s the hitches fault. This is like when you back into a tree it`s the tree`s fault. If your that stupid not to check as your cranking it around you deserve it. But that aside people can talk themselves into anything when it means you won`t have to send another $70,000 dollars for the proper truck to pull your new camper. Check the door sticker maximums, load up and get weighted if your over you need a bigger truck, period. But I will not carry water or load light and lie to myself and get away with it, right?
Their on here one post after another and tell you that`s ok sport been driving over loaded and doing it that way for years with narry an issue.
If your going to play you gota pay....... Your call
Bshgto, I guess you did not see the Anderson video. It plainly shows a 5 foot bed truck doing a 90. Also, the Dealer guaranteed 'the truck and trailer will not meet' Finally, Is that what you do to feel as you put it" manly", Call people stupid?. Im surprised you did not recieve a warning for name calling. I did not blame anyone Bshgto. I simply showd that a sb ram truck it is possible. This is to inform other owners so as to think about a 90. I traded my sb for a longbed. I just dont understand why someone would call anyone on an open forum "STUPID". Also, quote,"if your that stupid" ,the correct word spelling is you're, meaning you are...
Old 11-25-2021, 02:44 PM   #59
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhortie1 View Post
Good to know !
Allstate in Rapid city, SD wanted almost twice the amount to cover our rig as Progressive insurance.
Thanks Lynwood
State Farm in central Texas was a bit less than half of what Allstate charged us which was 25% less than Progressive!

Ya gotta shop around….

BB
Old 11-25-2021, 05:52 PM   #60
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
My mistake the Chevy was a 6.0. I'm just use to the Duramax 6.6. I stand corrected.

Happy trails.
Closed Thread