Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2021, 08:15 AM   #1
SIDHAMUSA
Established Member

M.O.C. #14614
Surburban SW12DEL HWH not working on AC

Folks, I have a 2014 Big Sky with the Surburban SW12DEL hot water heater that stopped working last week. I was able to run it on LP but when I push the rocker switch to turn on the electric, it doesn't work. I've tried to search the forum for something that would help me but haven't found anything specific. Please advise your steps to correct this issue. Tks.

SIDHAMUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 09:54 AM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
First I moved your Post to a new Thread as where it was located was from 2006 and not really related to your problem.

Second, the rocker switch is a well known failure point. You can pry it out at the upper/lower ends, go to any RV supply store and buy a replacement for under $10. Ensure the power to the water heater is turned off before removing the switch as there are "Flag" spade connectors on the side that can short out to the frame.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 09:57 AM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
There is also a troubleshooter guide loaded here. https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...hp?do=cat&id=3

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 12:44 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
There have been many different problems reported over the years to cause the WH to not work on electric including bad heating element, bad outside switch, bad/tripped thermostat/hi temp cutout, tripped circuit breaker, bad WH relay, bad or burned wiring in the WH junction box.

If you are comfortable using a voltmeter to check live 120 vac power I suggest the following;

1. Using voltmeter check for 120 vac at the heating element. If voltage there go to 5.
2. If no voltage, check for voltage at both wires on the thermostat/hi temp cutout. If voltage on one wire but not the other then bad or tripped thermostat. Try pressing reset button to see if voltage returns. If not, then bad thermostat/hi temp cutout. Replace.
3. If no voltage on either side of thermostat, then pop out the black switch (with power turned off until you get it out). Then turn power back on and check for voltage on both wires. With switch On, if voltage on one wire but not the other then bad switch. Replace.
4. If no voltage on either wire then power is not getting thru the relay. Could be breaker tripped, bad relay, bad wiring, bad inside switch, loss of 12 vdc to inside switch. (Note that the inside switch uses 12 vdc to energize the WH relay to send 120 vac to the outside switch). Burned wiring at the relay has been reported more than once. Troubleshooting gets a little more involved at this point.
5. When checking for 120 vac at the heating element put one meter lead on heating element AC hot screw and one meter lead on the neutral screw. If voltage there but element not heating then probably bad element. With power off remove element and check for continuity thru the element. Should read something around 10 ohms if I recall.
If no voltage detected then leave the meter lead on the element hot screw and touch the other meter lead to the metal WH housing. If voltage is now detected then there is a bad neutral connection. This is where bad/burned wires in the junction box have been reported. Junction box will have to be opened up.

Best to use a step by step troubleshooting procedure to isolate the problem rather than guessing. Again, only do this if you are comfortable troubleshooting live 120 vac. And use lots of caution even if you are.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 02:51 PM   #5
SIDHAMUSA
Established Member

M.O.C. #14614
I will give this a try! I noticed when I pressed the reset buttons (under the black cover), that neither of them reset. It was like they were permanently locked down. Would this be a indicator that the thermostats are bad?
SIDHAMUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 03:14 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I have never had a thermostat button that needed to be, or could be, reset, even when it was fried. Follow BB_TX's directions and you will find the problem

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote