Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2021, 06:06 PM   #1
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Darco repair - Thanks ChuckS

I used the ChuckS video and PDF as my guide and did my darco repair this past weekend. No more holes (for now) and the slide seems to be working fine. I added the strips of black UHMW plastic and countersunk screws.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4065.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	10627   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4179[2090].jpg
Views:	81
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	10628   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4178.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	10629  

Old 11-22-2021, 06:23 PM   #2
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
That’s a great idea.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 07:41 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
James,

Looks good!

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:46 PM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Nice job!!!
I would run a bead of ProFlex RV (clear) along the edges to prevent water wicking inside.
Traveling in rain, the wheels will throw water up underneath.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:52 AM   #5
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Glad you are happy with the repair strips over the torn Darco.. It should last a long time for you... Ive had Zero issues with my UHMW strips since installing them early this year..

I did use a light bead of sealant underneath the strips and on the outer edging of the strips as well..

When my hydraulic slides are closed the UHMW strips are completely tucked inside the RV up over the outer wear bar and you can't see them or the Darco so I am not concerned with water intrusion while traveling on wet roads
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 05:06 AM   #6
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
I do plan to run a bead of sealant along the edges. I just need to get some first.
Old 11-23-2021, 12:43 PM   #7
GILAELKHUNTER
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24575
I have this same problem on the living/dining slide. Where can I find ChuckS's video? I remember seeing something about it afew weeks ago, but can't remember where I saw it.
Air Lift 5000 airbags
GILAELKHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 02:54 PM   #8
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Quote:
Originally Posted by GILAELKHUNTER View Post
I have this same problem on the living/dining slide. Where can I find ChuckS's video? I remember seeing something about it afew weeks ago, but can't remember where I saw it.
Go back to past post on General Discussion and look for this topic:

UMHW strips on Darco....there is a link to the ChuckS info there.

I can't seem to get the link to work here???
Old 11-23-2021, 03:28 PM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Chuck's PDF is stored in the Files Section *HERE*

The 4 page discussion about the use of the UMHW strips is *HERE*

I haven't found the alleged Chuck's video. If ther eis one, hopefully will provide a link to it and we will add it to the Files section also.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:25 AM   #10
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
I'll share a couple of my videos from my YouTube channel I created for RV videos I've made.. None of my videos are masterpieces.. The intent was to have some video references for RV owners that prefer to see things instead of reading PDFs and such..

The first video highlights the repair I wrote a PDF about that is also stored on this website.. I hope the info within in gives others that have torn Darco ideas about how they can repair the issue themselves. Adoption and alteration of my method is key for each owner as their slide out system may be different from my slide outs.. Mine are all hydraulic but the UHMW could be used.. I think to repair any in wall electric side as well.. Allowances for rollers and such may have to be looked at to adapt the repair..

https://youtu.be/EtgzzhXodlk

The second video is just a revisit of my repair to show folks all is well with the repair. I used these slides at least 100 times since the repair was installed. I also operated these slides in October on a very cold morning up in Montana when the outside temp was 10 degrees.. There were zero issues with the slide out moving up over the ear bar onto the UHMW in the cold weather..

** NOTE - when I need to repair the other main slide Darco .. and I will in early spring due to slight signs of the same wearing on the outer edges of the Darco material I will lift the slide up about 1/4 inch and slide the UHMW strip in so that the wear bar maintains constant contact .

Why? Based on feedback from others that have used my repair method the slide motion is even smoother since the UHMW strip doesn't have to make that initial "ramp up" onto the wear bar... Also there is NO issues with having a good seal underneath when the slide is fully extended or retracted.. The 0.125 thickness of the UHMW does not affect sealing..

https://youtu.be/bQ20NgM8FC0

Hopefully no one minds me sharing these two crude videos from my youtube channel.. Tis the only way to share larger files and such on many groups

Wishing all a great Thanksgiving tomorrow..
Old 11-29-2021, 09:15 AM   #11
oeeman
Established Member

M.O.C. #14662
Great Idea

I have been reading this letter for quite a while and have picked up a lot of great tips, ideas, and other items like "I really should check to see if I can change a tire with my Anderson wedges (can't)". I too have an issue with a strip of Darco that has come loose (literally a strip that looks like it was a repair). This will solve my problem and I will take full advantage of the brain power within the owners of Montana RV's. I have a 2012 3400RL that I bought new.

Thank you for all of the knowledge and information.

Kevin Stewart
oeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 08:50 PM   #12
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
Darco repair - Thanks Chuck

Still on the bench but will install this weekend. Thanks Chuck!

Click image for larger version

Name:	C78B3852-2307-4DEB-9512-D1EEF1D3F98F.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	12179.
MaxwellD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 10:07 AM   #13
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
On my second season if use after installing UHMW strips to repair torn Darco., looks as good as the day I installed and zero issues with slides
Old 08-25-2022, 12:44 PM   #14
TwoBrewDogs

M.O.C. #22327
Great thread and fix. 2015 Montana, 3611RL here.

I have repaired some of my Darco using metallic duct tape. It sticks very well and does the job, for now. I see some UHMW strips in my future however as this is a ridiculous problem for these RVs to have.

My bedroom slide seems to have some form of plastic sheet as its bottom and it rides on a few plastic rollers. No issues here.

The dining slide would appear to have one continuous white plastic strip it rides over. The Darco rip resulted in staining the carpet at the rear of the slide. For now, all seems fixed.

The kitchen slide has a horizontal rubber seal across the face where the slide floor goes into the coach. In fact, an 8" section tore off today... I see no white plastic strip. I do however have some noticeable wear stripes every couple of feet along the width of the slide out bottom. This leads me to believe that this slide out uses rollers like the bedroom one. Yet it still has Darco.... This slide also makes the most noise when moving in and out. It has the stove, residential fridge, pantry, TV cabinet and fireplace all in that slide, so I'm sure it's heavy.

My question to you is this; by only having the UHMW plastic under a portion (outer edges in your case) of the slide, are you introducing any bowing by the center of the slide not also having that extra thickness? Or is 1/8" just too little to worry about? I'm wondering if I would need extra strips over more of the rollers to prevent any issues.

You also said you would slide the UHMW on top of the wear strip rather than beveling it and letting it ride up if you were to do this again. That sounds like an improvement. How does one lift the slide up the little bit necessary to accomplish this? As there would be less horizontal force on the UHMW strip's front edge, I see no need to change the position of your first set of screws.

Again, great modification that a lot of people will end up using. Thanks.
TwoBrewDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 05:54 PM   #15
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBrewDogs View Post
Great thread and fix. 2015 Montana, 3611RL here.

I have repaired some of my Darco using metallic duct tape. It sticks very well and does the job, for now. I see some UHMW strips in my future however as this is a ridiculous problem for these RVs to have.

My bedroom slide seems to have some form of plastic sheet as its bottom and it rides on a few plastic rollers. No issues here.

The dining slide would appear to have one continuous white plastic strip it rides over. The Darco rip resulted in staining the carpet at the rear of the slide. For now, all seems fixed.

The kitchen slide has a horizontal rubber seal across the face where the slide floor goes into the coach. In fact, an 8" section tore off today... I see no white plastic strip. I do however have some noticeable wear stripes every couple of feet along the width of the slide out bottom. This leads me to believe that this slide out uses rollers like the bedroom one. Yet it still has Darco.... This slide also makes the most noise when moving in and out. It has the stove, residential fridge, pantry, TV cabinet and fireplace all in that slide, so I'm sure it's heavy.

My question to you is this; by only having the UHMW plastic under a portion (outer edges in your case) of the slide, are you introducing any bowing by the center of the slide not also having that extra thickness? Or is 1/8" just too little to worry about? I'm wondering if I would need extra strips over more of the rollers to prevent any issues.

You also said you would slide the UHMW on top of the wear strip rather than beveling it and letting it ride up if you were to do this again. That sounds like an improvement. How does one lift the slide up the little bit necessary to accomplish this? As there would be less horizontal force on the UHMW strip's front edge, I see no need to change the position of your first set of screws.

Again, great modification that a lot of people will end up using. Thanks.
IMO and after two years of ruining that large hydraulic slide in and out countless times I’ve observed ZERO issues with the rest of the flooring .. if I had another area on this same slide where the Darco was to fray I would add another UHMW strip in a micro second without hesitation
*** This hydraulic slide has NO rollers and uses an inner and outer wear bar that the entire slide floor ramp up onto when retracting and ramps down off of when fully extended

I felt after watching the initial motion when retracting where the slide floor bottom ramps itself up onto the outer wear bar that had I simply lifted the slide a tad and slid the UHMW strip in between the outer wear bar and Darco maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch that the INITIAL inward motion would be perfectly smooth

But.. after two years of using as is with the beveled leading edge I simply habe no reason to change it

ONE thing I would do different “In my specific Install is I would have made the UHMW just a tad longer so that when then slide is fully retracted the UHMW was still on the outer wear bar.

OR.. I would bevel the opposite end if the UHMW strip just like the inward side so that when the slide begins its initial motion to extend and ramps onto the outer wear bar it would be smooth as silk..

Lastly.. the slide with the UHMW strips moves in and out much faster and smoother than the opposite large hydraulic slide does.. I will be adding UHMW strips on the outer edges of that slide this year when we return from our upcoming 3 week trip. I have no a Darco wear yet on the other slide but I can see it’s coming

Different slides will require different approaches. The PDF I put together along with the video gives folks some concepts to ponder and then adapt as they see fit. Or not.

Someone asked my why I didn’t jist buy some slide skis.. or recover the entire Darco bottom..

I’m not fond of the slide skis and would never recover with Darco,lif I had to do the entire bottom it would be with UHMW..

My bedroom slide is also hydraulic with a hard plastic covering on the bottom.. it hasn’t yet cracked (9 year old RV)..

If it does I will recover the entire bottom with either UHMW or HDPE.. my BR hydraulic slide uses the Lippert BR cradle slide setup so it would be easy to repair the bottom covering
Old 08-25-2022, 07:54 PM   #16
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxwellD View Post
Still on the bench but will install this weekend. Thanks Chuck!

Attachment 12179.
The material looks thicker than 1/8"
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 08:04 PM   #17
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
Did that with mine in hopes that the slide would quit jumping, but no such luck still jumps unless I spay it down with lube.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 10:12 AM   #18
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post
Did that with mine in hopes that the slide would quit jumping, but no such luck still jumps unless I spay it down with lube.
If your slide is jumping when rolling across UHMW you have other issues.. UHMW needs no lubrication whatsoever.. doing so will cause issues..

I’d be looking at what’s wrong with the alignment, etc of the slide that jumps when in motion
Old 08-26-2022, 11:04 AM   #19
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post

I thought so too, & that it would just slide out like butter, not.

Where to start, check to see if the slide is square when part way out?
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 11:44 AM   #20
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
on my 373RD - it was jumping BAD - at the rally last year, had the slide mfg look at it - they made the comment it should not be lubed, only washed with soap and water. I never had the problem until the dealer had removed the slide to repair the material under the slide and then the issues started.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote