Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2022, 01:15 PM   #1
Tree Top Turkeys
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30303
Heating and AC

We took our 2021 3761FL on our first cold hunting trip. I wanted to ask about the functionality of the heating and air systems. Our main section is galley and living room. This thermostat has AC, and heating with gas and electric. Our MBR thermostat just has AC. I turned the electric heat on and didn’t feel much coming out of floor registers. Then I turned to gas heat and feel warm air except from the MBR bath and one in the kitchen. These two had no warm air coming out. Do the roof units act as heat pump with hot and cold? And is the furnace just come out of the floor registers including in the MBR areas?

Tree Top Turkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 01:50 PM   #2
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
That is correct Tree Top. Only the rear AC unit should have a heat pump and provide some warming air through the coach upper vents, whereas the furnace should blow nice toasty air through the floor ducts throughout the coach.
If you have floor registers with no air at all being provided, it sounds like time to look in the basement behind the aft bulkhead of the baggage compartment to look for a loose or pinched off heater duct.

Hope this answered you questions....
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 02:53 PM   #3
Tree Top Turkeys
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30303
Thank you
Old 10-08-2022, 04:09 PM   #4
Todd & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28634
our 2021 3761FL

Actually our 2021 3761FL has the heat pump on the front unit and the rear is AC only. But they are both ducted together so the heat pump will supply some heat to the rear of the rig as well. we have had good luck with the heat pump working down into the upper 30, even though they say it will not heat under middle 40's.
Old 10-08-2022, 04:22 PM   #5
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd & Mary View Post
Actually our 2021 3761FL has the heat pump on the front unit and the rear is AC only. But they are both ducted together so the heat pump will supply some heat to the rear of the rig as well. we have had good luck with the heat pump working down into the upper 30, even though they say it will not heat under middle 40's.
Thanks Todd. I'm beginning to understand why it is difficult to be spot on when there are so many variances between specific models and year models. I don't know how some of the guys and gals keep up with current info as well as they do. Great thing we have and entire MOC family to draw knowledge from. Thanks again!
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 05:14 AM   #6
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Just to throw another idea out there, I go to northern West Virginia every November/December for hunting season. If you can break the chill in your rig once set up, you can use electric heat and the heat pump pretty well down into the low 20's and even teens. The trick is to supply enough heat with supplemental electric heaters to keep the air circulating in the heat pump warm enough. I usually use the fireplace heater in the rear and a ceramic space heater in the kitchen.
It's certainly not "toasty" as I usually shoot for a temp around 60 inside the rig, but when it's 20-30 outside and you're dressed appropriately, it's quite comfortable.
I have remote thermostats in the belly, basement and rear garage to monitor for freezing pipes and tanks. I run the tank heaters constantly. It is very rare that the gas furnace will kick on, unless we get to single digits or lower.
I've used less than one 30 lb propane cylinder for the last 3 years and I spend 3 weeks up there during the winter.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote