Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 07:10 PM   #21
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Well, consider when we were net exporters of oil and the price of oil then. Now that we are dependent on foreign oil again and something jumps off, look what happened. In the case of CA, they have the highest fuel prices in the country and it's not due entirely to traders.

Much like the components we need to build something as simple as a truck, when we enslave ourselves to those outside our control, we get what we get.

Old 03-08-2022, 10:53 PM   #22
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
I paid $5.79 per gallon today for diesel. The pump shut off at $100. I cycled my card into the pump again and added another $71.
Old 03-08-2022, 11:13 PM   #23
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
Well, consider when we were net exporters of oil and the price of oil then. Now that we are dependent on foreign oil again and something jumps off, look what happened. In the case of CA, they have the highest fuel prices in the country and it's not due entirely to traders.

Much like the components we need to build something as simple as a truck, when we enslave ourselves to those outside our control, we get what we get.
Of course regional taxation affects the final consumer price. So a place like CA will always be higher than another region with lower taxation. But, the recent price spikes are not due to California suddenly changing their policies; it is, as stated earlier, largely due to fear in the marketplace.

And, BTW, the US has never been a net exporter of oil. It reached parity, briefly, in 2018 due to the massive increase in shale production. However, much of that shale production was not sustainable and has been pulled back due to the unprofitable nature of those fields. It is not at all correct to say that the current price hikes are primarily caused by changes in US domestic oil production. Again, it may be a popular notion but it is not based on the reality of the energy markets.

Brad
Old 03-09-2022, 03:11 AM   #24
CindyS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23195
Yes, that plan started way before the Ukraine issue. you can find the many videos of the current administration's push for this.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:55 AM   #25
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
[QUOTE=kowbra;1246150]Of course regional taxation affects the final consumer price. So a place like CA will always be higher than another region with lower taxation. But, the recent price spikes are not due to California suddenly changing their policies; it is, as stated earlier, largely due to fear in the marketplace.

And, BTW, the US has never been a net exporter of oil. It reached parity, briefly, in 2018 due to the massive increase in shale production. However, much of that shale production was not sustainable and has been pulled back due to the unprofitable nature of those fields. It is not at all correct to say that the current price hikes are primarily caused by changes in US domestic oil production. Again, it may be a popular notion but it is not based on the reality of the energy markets.

Trading futures does affect oil costs. When we are dependent upon foreign sources and the instability of those sources, of course we pay additionally for the uncertainly of the supply. Then consider Russia supplys aprox. 8% of the oil supply. Take that away from the market and that makes what's left more valuable. Unless of course we produced more than we do now. This discussion cannot be had without involving politics and political agendas which I will avoid.
Old 03-09-2022, 08:16 AM   #26
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post

Trading futures does affect oil costs. When we are dependent upon foreign sources and the instability of those sources, of course we pay additionally for the uncertainly of the supply. Then consider Russia supplys aprox. 8% of the oil supply. Take that away from the market and that makes what's left more valuable. Unless of course we produced more than we do now. This discussion cannot be had without involving politics and political agendas which I will avoid.
Agreed, on all points

Brad
Old 03-09-2022, 09:33 AM   #27
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Topped off the tanks in Charleston back in Oct @ $2.99. Stayed there through Feb and the TV sat most of the time because we used our Southern ride, a Toyota Camry most of the time. End of Feb we moved to GA and I toped it off last week @$3.89, about $37 dollars more. So there goes one dinner out. Now it's $4.99. The truck will sit till we head to NY in April. Up there it's always more expensive.

You pay what you have to and make it up somewhere else in the budget.

Always Juggling.

Old 03-09-2022, 09:41 AM   #28
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
Of course regional taxation affects the final consumer price. So a place like CA will always be higher than another region with lower taxation. But, the recent price spikes are not due to California suddenly changing their policies; it is, as stated earlier, largely due to fear in the marketplace.

Brad
This is a quote:
The United States became a net annual petroleum exporter in 2020

In 2020, the United States exported about 8.51 MMb/d and imported about 7.86 MMb/d of petroleum1, making the United States a net annual petroleum exporter for the first time since at least 1949. Also in 2020, the United States produced2 about 18.40 million barrels per day (MMb/d) of petroleum, and consumed3 about 18.12 MMb/d.

Please produce counter point.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
Old 03-09-2022, 09:46 AM   #29
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ojocky View Post
I paid $5.79 per gallon today for diesel. The pump shut off at $100. I cycled my card into the pump again and added another $71.
Jocky, I had the same truck as you and almost the same rig (2006 2980). My truck only held 25 gallons. Do you have an extra tank?

My first trip I was in Wy and was going to stop along the way at one of 2 towns heading south to Rawlins or Rock Springs(?). Still had 1/3 tank at first town so went to 2nd. Nothing there but a restaurant and about 8 houses!. Time I got to a gas station the truck took 24.5 gallons so when I got home I swapped out the tank for a 52gal tank - no worries after that.

I have a 7000 mile trip planned and mostly booked already for summer and get 11 mpg so will be spending some big bucks this summer.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
Closed Thread