Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2019, 08:03 AM   #1
shbcr1
Established Member

M.O.C. #23835
Basement door magnets

We have a 2018 Montana HC 385BR. Has anyone had an issue with the basement door magnets failing and the door slamming closed? Ours has failed once. We noticed the forward magnet set was weaker than the aft set. We believe that if the unit is perfectly level it is susceptible to failure due to this issue. These are heavy doors and can cause significant injury.

shbcr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:26 AM   #2
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I had the door on the rear slide-out tray on our 3791RD fall on me just last week. It did no damage and was totally MT FAULT as I just got in too big a hurry and didn't let it properly attach the magnets.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:55 AM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
If you think the magnets are not strong enough, you can order them from your dealer. My unit did not have the magnets (actually only one set)and I have put them on the storage door on the passenger side and only use one magnet in the middle and it works very well. I hope to work on the main entrance door next and eliminate the hook that hold the door open when you want to have just the screen door open. Can't do the driver's side storage door because of the bedroom slide being over it s the struts have to stay on that one.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 04:07 PM   #4
Wicked1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21100
Also check to see if they were put in right if there are 2 south or 2 north magnets they won’t have a good connection, I replaced ones on my other trailer bc they were put on wrong so on my basement door one set was correct the other wasn’t so it didn’t hold right
Wicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:35 PM   #5
2019 montana
Established Member

M.O.C. #23525
what happened to us was, the magnets were fine. What failed was the plastic that the magnets are in they crumbled due to sun damage.
2019 montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:07 AM   #6
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Why not install gas springs like our '14 HC has on the basement doors. Sounds like Keystone 'cheaped out' by using magnets
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:40 AM   #7
Wicked1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Why not install gas springs like our '14 HC has on the basement doors. Sounds like Keystone 'cheaped out' by using magnets
On Montana’s and HC they give you the option, at the factory they install the Gas Strut mount on the Doors so you can add them but I have them on my Water dock side and they limit the height the door can go up so I prefer the magnets in the Door side so I can open it all the way bc I usually bang my head on the door that has the gas struts
Wicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:03 AM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I'm with you Anthony! I had to have new basement storage doors put on our 2013 Monte because they were warping for some reason. We had to go with the struts on the drivers side because of the bedroom slide being above it so it can only open so high. The curbside door can be opened all the way up so we put a single pair of magnets on that side and it holds the door up secure even in the high winds of AZ while we were down there for the winter. I purchased four sets but only needed one so far but am putting a set on the entry door also.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:21 AM   #9
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post
On Montana’s and HC they give you the option, at the factory they install the Gas Strut mount on the Doors so you can add them but I have them on my Water dock side and they limit the height the door can go up so I prefer the magnets in the Door side so I can open it all the way bc I usually bang my head on the door that has the gas struts

OK - doesn't make much sense as I don't bump my head on the curbside and I'm not exactly short at 6'4". Additionally, I've not seen any other later Montana product without the struts but that's maybe just my 'luck'.The roadside hatch is limited in opening by the bedroom slide - and yes, I have rattled my brains on that and the slide. I guess I would opt for the open hatch catches over the magnets as I had on our last SOB 5er
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:25 AM   #10
2019 montana
Established Member

M.O.C. #23525
On our 2019 3121 Montana. I took off all the magnets, and the stupid clip that holds the front generator/storage door open. Went to gas shocks. The drivers side storage door, that opens straight out. I raised the bottom shock up 1 1/2", this made the door open higher, but clears the bedroom slide. No more hitting my head on low doors. The Hatch lift Co. was where I bought all struts.
2019 montana is offline   Reply With Quote