Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2023, 06:39 PM   #1
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Access to inner dually tire stem

I bought a new set of Michelins from the local Discount Tire shop a few months ago. We are on a short trip to San Antonio. Got my TST tire monitor fired up and all tires were good except passenger side inner rear tire. It was about 10 lbs low. The tires were mounted where I could not get to the stem…it was offset behind the front spoke. Decided to go slow and watch the pressure and temps. Drove the whole way going 55-58 mph. The low tire heated up 1 degree more than the others right at 102*. Made it without any issues. When we get back home I will go back to Discount Tire and get them to rotate and line the duallies up properly to allow access to the TST cap. I think I will buy some flow-thru tops for the inner tires.

I did not know a tire shop would do this. They took the caps off and put them on my new tires. Oh well…live and learn. Tell them to line it up properly next time.

Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 07:39 PM   #2
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Which tires did you get?
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 08:28 PM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Oh shoot - I will have to look at them tomorrow. They were out of the OEM Michelins and I opted for a higher mileage version.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 08:58 PM   #4
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Been there done that with the stems misaligned for access to the inside tire. Fortunately I caught the issue before leaving the tire establishment. Tech wasn't happy with me and owner was embarrassed. I never assume anyone will do any sort of job correctly. Not fun having a pessimistic outlook
Lee-CI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 10:59 PM   #5
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
This type of kit can make maintaining air in dual wheel tires much easier and should still work with the TPMS sensors.

https://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-USA-A...36&sr=8-4&th=1
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 08:45 PM   #6
Hit The Road
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27454
Solid extensions

There is a tire shop in Simi Valley CA called Jim's Tires. He has solid stainless steel valve extensions that go directly into the rim. You don't need to secure them with the lug nuts. You could try to give them a call and see if have them in stock to sell. Tell them it's for a dually and they'll know what you're talking about. We put them on the 4 rear tires and it makes checking them so much easier. I had to correct Americas Tires about offsetting the stems on the rear. They didn't know what I was talking about until I showed them! Everything's a learning process!
Hit The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 05:15 AM   #7
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
This type of kit can make maintaining air in dual wheel tires much easier and should still work with the TPMS sensors.

I had looked on Amazon for this style extension / relocation kits but wasn't entirely comfortable with the quality. I still want to do this though.

As a side note, just had a front end alignment done and replaced the stock Nexan steer axle tires with Bridgestone Duravis R500 HD. Will see how this set lasts on front.
Lee-CI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 08:13 AM   #8
Todd & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28634
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post

I've discussed these with 2 different tire stores and they both said if you will have trouble, it will be with the braided lines on the duallies. So I just make sure they are aligned going forward. I've personally made this mistake replacing a flat tire myself. You're never too old to learn as they say! You gotta be able to laugh at yourself sometimes.