Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2022, 10:00 AM   #1
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
New E-Bike Owner Questions

Well, we joined the E-Bike brigade and looking for some tips. First, we already purchased the bikes (Aventon Level’s) and rack (Hollywood RV rack). Living in the mountains, we drive to town to ride our road bikes because the inclines make it no fun riding our old mountain bikes. Also, they will help us sight see in Alaska next summer. Now, the Hollywood Rack has anti-theft built in. Anyone add additional security? Thinking of hiding Apple AirTags on the bikes. Also, has anyone found a good cover that lasts while they are on the back of the Montana? We just ordered Sena R2 helmets, lights, mirrors, etc.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 10:31 AM   #2
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
I don't use the actual keyed locks on the HR. I use Krytonite locking chain and OnGaurd u-lock. Secure bike to bike thru the vertical tube of the HR with the chain lock and if they're going to be on the rack for some time - I will also lock the frames with u-lock.
RipNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 08:18 PM   #3
PamBates
Established Member

M.O.C. #30034
Ron, we just bought etrikes! Hope to have them for Goshen, but not guaranteed, kent
PamBates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 08:26 PM   #4
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Kent, hope you have them then. See you at rally.
Old 08-01-2022, 06:47 AM   #5
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Ours are folding and go in the back of the truck forward of the hitch and under the tonneau cover.
While at our destination and using the bikes we park them under the overhang. I run a heavy-duty duty vinyl coated 12' cable through the pinbox and then through the bikes then lock them.
I have a large BBQ grill cover to cover them to keep dust and rain off while parked.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 07:11 AM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Thanks, but ours don’t fold and need to be on the back of the Montana. I’ve seen a few on Amazon, but figured many carry covered on the back.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:37 AM   #7
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Ron,

We use Team Obsidian covers - a double while on the rack and 2 singles while off the rack. Been happy so far (over a year now). Link below is double cover.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
RipNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 11:54 AM   #8
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Originally Posted by rames14 View Post
Well, we joined the E-Bike brigade and looking for some tips. First, we already purchased the bikes (Aventon Level’s) and rack (Hollywood RV rack). Living in the mountains, we drive to town to ride our road bikes because the inclines make it no fun riding our old mountain bikes. Also, they will help us sight see in Alaska next summer. Now, the Hollywood Rack has anti-theft built in. Anyone add additional security? Thinking of hiding Apple AirTags on the bikes. Also, has anyone found a good cover that lasts while they are on the back of the Montana? We just ordered Sena R2 helmets, lights, mirrors, etc.
The Apple AirTags are a great idea. With the cost of these bikes, I had them insured by State Farm. You can do full coverage on them, or choose to do only theft, which we did. The monthly payment on our 2 ebikes is $18.40. These bikes were not cheap. In addition, both bikes came with a very loud alarm system. Whenever we camp, I always at night have them cable locked to my trailer.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 09:27 PM   #9
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Thanks, ordered the team obsidian cover. Still debating locks.
Old 08-08-2022, 05:32 AM   #10
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Don't shoot the messenger... please! But ... if planning on using the E-Bikes in Indiana State Parks, you are best to just keep them locked up and put away. Indiana State Parks, that includes State Recreation areas also, has banned all battery operated transportation devices from being used on the State Park roads. This includes campgrounds.

Some Indiana state parks and Recreation Areas are enforcing it heavily, others are still turning their heads to it.

There are several reasons why they made this decision and I'm not going into it now. But the fact is, they are now banned. Right, wrong, no matter how you feel, that's just the way it is. (I'm just the messenger).

I do know, the last couple Indiana State Parks we've been in, on Friday night people are riding the bikes. And the biggest complaint is, they are speeding excessively through the campgrounds. The speed limits are posted, but the E-bike people somehow convey the idea that speed limits does not apply to them. Plus they dart in and out between people and kids walking the roads. They are very inconsiderate and very obnoxious.

By Saturday morning, there are none on the road any more. So, I think DNR is getting the word out.

Please... check the rules wherever you ride them and make sure you are in compliance. And if using these where you can, please follow the rules of the road. Pedestrians always have the right of way. (again.... I'm just the messenger).
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 07:05 AM   #11
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Dutchman, our HOA in the mountains of Colorado has no rules about riding on our dirt roads. We’re at 7500 feet with fairly steep grades. As we get closer to 70, it’s just getting harder to ride at home. My alternative is to drive an hour into town to ride our road bikes. We hope to be headed to Alaska next summer and using them to cut down on using the truck for exploring. The NP allows them with some restrictions. Also, Although Indiana is implementing some restrictions, the Pumpkin Vine trail at rally does allow them. I imagine also, it depends on how you use your ebikes. My wife and I use them for exercise. At assist Level 1 or 2, we still get a vigorous workout. We have already checked out our calorie burn and it’s similar to our road bikes. I guess it boils down to no matter whether you are talking about cars, boats, motorcycles or bikes you will always have people with no respect for others. My brother was killed by a drunk driver while riding his bicycle home from work. We try to stick to paved trails.